reloading equipment complaint - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > reloading equipment complaint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6031 Times on 3161 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I hadn't heard about the bullet causing the pressure. I had always heard it was the thicker brass and slightly longer neck.

Thanks for the info Jon.
when bullets are pressed into the lands thats what causes a pressure spike. when benchresters are doing that or getting close to doing that they arent using anywhere near max loads so they retain a safe pressure level.

with military rounds they are usually at or over max saami spec to begin with as the only spec that matters to the military is what they want the average round to be.

so given the cheapness of government for awarding contracts there isnt a whoooooole lot of QC going on and you end up with bullets that weigh more than they should arent seated quite as deep as they should have an ogive a scootch longer than they should and a charge weight higher than is normal.

when you get all those factors combined in the one in a thousand round in the uber cheap surplus you got from south africa and your running em through your 223 chambered bushmaster thats taken you the better part of a year or more to wander through in many range trips with nothing going wrong all of a suddon on round 853 the magic forces of chance combined to make a really hot over long over weight out of spec round that jams into the lands and your bushmaster turns into a shrapnel device.

now on a 556 gun nothing woulda happened but the gun going bang and you get a slightly larger bit of recoil you prolly wouldnt have noticed. on a 223 chamber your going to the emergency room to have aluminum and steel removed from your hide surgically.

its not just one factor thats the difference in 556 vs 223 altho most folks oversimplify and blame just the brass. all the factors in and of themselves arent the sole cause of kabooms with 223 firing 556 its the combination in JUST the wrong way that turns it into a bomb. lots of folks who shoot 556 out of 223 and claim to do just fine is simply because they havent come across that magic round yet...

as a reloader you CANNOT use surplus pulled military bullets in your 223 chamber for handloading WITHOUT knowing your OAL to the lands and what the longest ogive is on the surplus pulled bullets your using. whis is true of using any heavy hunting bullet in a 223 chamber. you REALLY need to have a chamber gage that measures the distance to the lands and then a gage that measures from the base of the cartrridge to the front of the ogive so you dont hit the lands.

the SAME problem and factors are true for 7.62x51 and 308 winchester except reversed with the notable exception of the FN scar17. it is safe to fire and use 308 winchester loads and all bullets and saami spec charge weights and load lengths in the FN scar17 even though the barrel is stamped 7.62x51 their chambers are actually cut to 308winchester spec in order to utilize the heavy 175+ grain smk

personally i wish manufacturers would drop the 7.62x51 and 223 chambers and stick with 556/wylde and 308 chambers. would make us all safer with no loss in available accurate barrels.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-21-2013 at 10:50 PM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #32

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

The RCBS hand primer annoys me regularly, too.

Try nudging the brass back a wee bit from being snug into the shell holder. (yes, i'm using RCBC shell holders). You'll find the primers then slip right in. I don't know what it is, but every so often the primers will bind on one side; I don't think it matters what calibre you're loading, either. It's like the shell holder isn't quite centred over the seating pin.

gunnut07 mentioned the angle at which you hold the loaded primer tool/tray and I think that might make a difference sometimes.

You do get a lot better feel with the hand primer, but if it wasn't for having to buy another whole set of holders, I'd have already bought the Sinclair hand primer and tried that.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 05-21-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:28 AM   #33

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I'm not so sure its the RCBS primer tool or the bullet holder after hearing from some of the guys on here. I think after we use the primer reamer it should work out. I have the same one and I have no problems with mine other then having to spin a bullet every now and then. I load .40 cal s&w and just getting into 30-06. I have been reading and studing everything I can on reloading but mostly on what I reload. I will probably never own an ar 15 unless they come way down on price. I've shot over 30 thousand rounds through mine in the military so I had my fun. I'm more into bolt action rifles and testing my skills with what I own. I like precision bullets and thats what I'm trying to work up to. I also like machining things and I have a small machine shop in my garage so I know about tolerences and how importance they are. Thanks to you guys I'm learning more and more every day. Once I get this down I'll feel better about upping my powder weight. Right now I just stick to the minimum and have fun with it. Also I feel there is a easier way to trim brass and I am working on something to see if it works. Going to take me a bit to figure it all out. Right now I have the redding 2400 (2nd one, had to return the first one) and its working but I think it could be alot better.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #34
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6031 Times on 3161 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Personally i stay away from the handheld primer tools. Mainly because if something goes wrong the whole tray will erupt in a giant boom. Happened to one of our members here. Looked like mike tyson put on a spiked glove and punched him a few times. He was lucky not to lose an eye or two.

I stick with a dedicated rcbs priming tool that mounts to the table or bench and removes the primer being worked on a good distance from the others or i use my xl650 which has a armored primer holder to protect the operator from a chain reaction.

I think the hand primers are too dangerous as it only takes one oops to get a free ambulance ride.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #35

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
Also I feel there is a easier way to trim brass and I am working on something to see if it works. Going to take me a bit to figure it all out.
That'd be my least favourite part of the process. If you get something slick doped out, I'd sure like to hear about it.

I'm likewise more interested in putting bullets into one ragged hole rather than making lots of holes (although that can surely be fun sometimes, too.)

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #36

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Military weapons select fire full autos have Free Bore. The area just beyond the chamber is free bored in the throat. This allows a short pressure spike release. German Mauser rifles had 1 1/2 calibers of free bore. Some magnum sporting rifles have free bore.