Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > reloading equipment complaint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Default reloading equipment complaint

My father in law finally got his reloading equipment in that he ordered back in November. I went over there to see how everything was going. He had ordered the RCBS rock chucker supreme kit and dies for his .223. He ordered it through Brownell's. I was helping him set up his dies that he already had out and on his bench. I had already polished his brass at my house for him. Went through all the steps getting the first resizing die set up no problem. Resized all his brass and knocked out the primers. Cleaned the primer pockets and started setting up the powder drop for the Varget I bought him. Had problems with the RCBS beam scale that came with the kit. Very difficult to use compared to a digital scale that I use. Got all that working and the powder drop set to 25 grains. Went to put the primers in using the RCBS hand primer and it wasn't lining up with the brass. It kept hitting the side of the brass and destroying the primer. Ok figured I would try the press primer feature and it wasn't lining up either. Went back to the hand primer and got 10 primer in the pockets but they looked like crap. Rechecked the bullet holder and yep its a number 10. Put powder in 10 cases, adjusted the seat using a factory bullet. Put the case in the press with bullet and made 10 bullets with fine adjustments. I'm still not satisfied with the primer tools so I checked the box the dies came in to see if it says #10 bullet holder and it says #3. I then noticed that the dies are for 22-250. I don't know what a 22-250 looks like so I ask my father in law about the dies and he said that is what they sent him and he said it would work. Well we made 10 rounds and I used the digital calipers and checked out every measurement accordinaly to the books and its accurate but I'm not happy with his set up and ordered another set of dies from RCBS that hopifully say .223 on the box. I also ordered another bullet holder thinking that this one is off making the primers hard to put in. Just complaining I guess because I pieced my kit together and everything works great but he bought his as a kit and everything is frustrating to use and both are mostly made up of RCBS pieces.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2013, 03:04 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8432 Times on 3658 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

223rem.png

22250.png

Please note dimensional differences. Dies do not interchange.

Now, I am trying to understand what went on in your post- been a long day (GREAT wedding) and I am bone tired.

Either somebody ordered the wrong thing, or you were shipped the wrong thing. Which is which, I have not a clue. However, I AM going to offer some advice- you and your dad need to do some study before you operate the equipment. Standard reference that I tell EVERY reloader to get is The ABCs of Reloading.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 05-20-2013, 03:46 AM   #3

I've been reloading for a couple of months and do understand pretty much most things that relates to reloading. But I didn't see the box the dies came in until afterwords. Whats wierd is that the dies actually worked reloading the .223.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #4

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter

Please note dimensional differences. Dies do not interchange.

Now, I am trying to understand what went on in your post- been a long day (GREAT wedding) and I am bone tired.

Either somebody ordered the wrong thing, or you were shipped the wrong thing. Which is which, I have not a clue. However, I AM going to offer some advice- you and your dad need to do some study before you operate the equipment. Standard reference that I tell EVERY reloader to get is The ABCs of Reloading.
I agree with c3shooter. The ABC's of reloading are a must read for new loaders. Dies are not interchangeable!!! The rounds you loaded most likely won't chamber.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:33 AM   #5

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

If you don't know the difference in .22-250 and .223 dies you need to study reloading. Try taking the NRA Basic reloading course.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7823 Times on 4514 Posts
Likes Given: 10063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
I've been reloading for a couple of months and do understand pretty much most things that relates to reloading. But I didn't see the box the dies came in until afterwords. Whats wierd is that the dies actually worked reloading the .223.

Actually no. You don't and they didn't. When you are starting out reloading it is imperative that you fully understand what you will be doing before you start, then walk through every step of the process step-by-step as you go using the manual as your guide.

The dies are stamped with the caliber they are made for. I check this every time I change dies, and I check each die in a set to make sure nothing got mixed up. I even do this when I am changing my die holders on my Dillons.

They do not "work" with any other caliber. As to the shell holders, some manufacturers have different die numbers for different calibers. Maybe that is what happened?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:00 AM   #7

Yea I didn't look at the die set to make sure it was .223. But has anyone experience having problems with getting the primers in and do you think the shell holder could be machined wrong

Old 05-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #8

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The .223 and most center fire intended for semi auto or full auto fire have crimped in primers. You must ream or swag the primer pockets to remove the crimp before inserting the new primer. RCBS sells an easy to use pocket swager. Failure to remove the crimp results in crushed or broken primers.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #9

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

The only thing that's the same is the bullet size (.224) If you re sized the cases (.223) with the 22-250 die then they are no longer 223's but 22-250 cases with the wrong head stamp on them. They should not work in your 223 rifle, you will notice I said SHOULD not work. But any thing can and does happen. I would not feel comfortable about putting them in the rifle and shooting them (but I could be wrong), but would wait till the 223 dies come in and re-size then with that set of dies. Yes, you will lose the primers but that is cheaper than losing the rifle.

Jim

If you were using new brass, you might get away with using them since the base of the case (head) was not re-sized, not sure what the neck and shoulder will do however.

Last edited by bigjim; 05-20-2013 at 07:05 AM.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 05-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you do not have an "eraser" then you should purchase one. It is a hammer looking thing that pulls your "mistakes" with a sharp whack onto a hard surface. Pop that boolit out, save the powder, and start over with the correct size die.