reloading equipment - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > reloading equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB
About 18 months ago i started buying reloading equipment. Started with a Dillon 550b, then some caliber conversion kits, redding competition dies, scale, calipers, primers, powder, and of corse reloading books. Today is the first i've looked at it since I bought it all and its still all unopened. I thought I really wanted to get into reloading but apparently I have no time for it. Do any of you think I should hang onto this stuff or try to sell it and get some of my money back? The wife is pushing for it to go, I kinda want to keep it since I have it and we're not hurting for money...but it just sits in a pile and I don't know if or when I'll ever get around to setting it up or using it. Will I loose money by selling it? Thanks for the advice.
By the way, what calibers do you have for it?

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:19 AM   #12

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Right now I only have .223 dies. I shoot my AR the most so I figured that was the way to go, but looking back I should have opted for 44mag or 45acp dies.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book"

Old 07-28-2013, 04:26 AM   #13

Liked 1917 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

If you have a 44 mag that machine will pay for itself fast! Dies are cheap. You can buy a set of dies for less than a box of ammo! I can reload a box of 44mag for $5. Yea, that's right...I said $5. I pour lead to make my own bullets. But that last time I saw a box of 44 mag it was running around $40 for a box of 50! I will be shooting a 44 mag at IDPA a week from today. That ammo would cost me over $100. But I will spend $15. I can reload a box of 44 mag in 30 minutes. That is like paying myself $70 an hour to do something I enjoy.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

jebsca Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #14

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

If you would take the time to load one round of ammo you would not sell out.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #15

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

From the day I started reloading ammo,which mind you wasn't that long ago at all I have not bought a single box of factory rounds for .308 which I can tell you ain't cheap here is AUS...box of 20 federal power-shok 180gr use to cost me $33.00 bucks in which I consider a total rip off...today I reload 165gr sierra gamekings and consistently shoot bullseyes at 200 yards and my equipment is already paying for itself,so do yourself a favour and hold on to what you've got otherwise you might just regret it......cheers

Old 07-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #16

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought my equipment because of the prices of ammo, specifically 45-70 and 44 mag. I don't think I've shot either in over 2 years because of the cost. Maybe I will hang onto it, are their any classes offered that teach reloading? The guy and my local reloading supply is a arrogant prick, and I don't know anyone that reloads. I've watched every video imaginable on YouTube. Thanks for convincing me to keep it, now to get comfortable using it...

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book"

Old 07-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
, are their any classes offered that teach reloading?
Yes, the NRA offers courses:

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

The one you're looking for is entitled: "NRA Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course"

Always have clean socks.

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Yes, the NRA offers courses:

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

The one you're looking for is entitled: "NRA Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course"
But that doesn't mean there are any offered in your area... :/

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I bought my equipment because of the prices of ammo, specifically 45-70 and 44 mag. I don't think I've shot either in over 2 years because of the cost. Maybe I will hang onto it, are their any classes offered that teach reloading? The guy and my local reloading supply is a arrogant prick, and I don't know anyone that reloads. I've watched every video imaginable on YouTube. Thanks for convincing me to keep it, now to get comfortable using it...
If the NRA class isn't offered in your area, I wouldn't sweat it. I watched a couple videos and read the reloading manual, it's really all you'd need. Far as I'm concerned its almost as simple as it sounds. Clean brass if not already done, deprime/resize, check to see if it needs trimming (manual should give max case length), reprime, add proper amount of powder (manual gives safe range), add bullet of choice on top of powder.

The biggest thing to watch is going to be the measurements of the different parts, but once you see the little diagram on the first page for your cartridge, you'll see how simple it really is. If you're still confused or just want to double check anything, feel free to ask. None of us will judge since we've all been in your shoes already. If one of us can't help answer your question(s)' then I'm sure one of the other *insert large number* of people will be able to.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #20

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Kaido has is about right. Read a few books a few times and maybe look at youtube and read a few threads on here and ask a few questions. When I was thinking about getting into reloading, I looked at the reloading section here and found some very good threads that will point you in the right direction. They will tell you to get some books like the ABCs of reloading. I got that book and Reloading for Handgunners before I got any equipment. I have also picked up Lee and Hornady's reloading manuals and find all four of them to be helpful and I will look things up in each one. I would say as you plan to keep your equipment, start reading. It will help you to know better how to set up your bench, be it a 400 ft^2 room with all of the toys a man can dream up or working out of a shoe box. One last thing. The ammo shortage that we have been seeing has hit the reloaders too. It may take you some time before you can get all of the components that you are looking for.
Good luck, and stay safe.