reloading equipment
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > reloading equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default reloading equipment

About 18 months ago i started buying reloading equipment. Started with a Dillon 550b, then some caliber conversion kits, redding competition dies, scale, calipers, primers, powder, and of corse reloading books. Today is the first i've looked at it since I bought it all and its still all unopened. I thought I really wanted to get into reloading but apparently I have no time for it. Do any of you think I should hang onto this stuff or try to sell it and get some of my money back? The wife is pushing for it to go, I kinda want to keep it since I have it and we're not hurting for money...but it just sits in a pile and I don't know if or when I'll ever get around to setting it up or using it. Will I loose money by selling it? Thanks for the advice.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8745 Times on 3780 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

David- we do not often have as generous a giveaway offer as this............

Just kidding!

Give this some thought before you do anything- like- what are the other things that eat up your time? At one time you wanted to get into this- does that still apply?

Will you lose money? Unless you got a real steal when you bought it, yes, you will. Since folks WILL be looking at new prices, even tho yours is still "NIB". And the panic period for the ammo shortage is starting to subside.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 545 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 2405

Keep it.
Or send it to me.
Store it someplace.
Never know when you will want put it to work.
Keep it.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #4

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB
About 18 months ago i started buying reloading equipment. Started with a Dillon 550b, then some caliber conversion kits, redding competition dies, scale, calipers, primers, powder, and of corse reloading books. Today is the first i've looked at it since I bought it all and its still all unopened. I thought I really wanted to get into reloading but apparently I have no time for it. Do any of you think I should hang onto this stuff or try to sell it and get some of my money back? The wife is pushing for it to go, I kinda want to keep it since I have it and we're not hurting for money...but it just sits in a pile and I don't know if or when I'll ever get around to setting it up or using it. Will I loose money by selling it? Thanks for the advice.
Pending on the type caliber of dyes you've got, I'll buy them off of you at a reasonable price.....being serious here. Haha

Old 07-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #5

Liked 1817 Times on 1011 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

It is a great hobby. To me it is second only to shooting itself. There is also a very satisfying feeling when you shoot a great group with ammo that you made yourself. If it was me I would open it up and get started. What is your favorite gun? Do you have brass for it? Even if you are just getting started and taking your time. You can make a box of just about anything in an hour or so. It is just the set up that is time consuming.

With a progressive you can load hundreds of rounds an hour once you know what you are doing.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 749 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I started reloading forty years ago. Did a lot of IPSC competition. Life intervened. All job, no play. My Dillon 450 just gathered dust. Time passed then I was at it again. Got upgrades from Dillon. More firearms. My wife wants me to be happy and I am. Just miss getting primers!
Don't make a rash decision.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 07-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #7

Liked 2455 Times on 1398 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

I'll just say Dillon Precision makes really good stuff.

Maybe if you started a couple first steps, like

cleaning, depriming/sizing, and re-organizing

brass. When it is all in a big pile, getting started

looks intimidating.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #8

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I admit I'm a little intimidated with the setup, and I know I don't have everything I need to get started like a tumbler and media. Between my job and my family, I don't feel like I have enough time.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book"

Old 07-28-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB
I admit I'm a little intimidated with the setup, and I know I don't have everything I need to get started like a tumbler and media. Between my job and my family, I don't feel like I have enough time.
I agree that you should put some thought into it before selling. You will almost definitely lose money.

Is your wife into shooting? If so, get your press setup, make a box of ammo, and show her how accurate it is, or how much of a value it is once the ammo you've made has paid for the cost of the press. Might take some time, but it would be very easy to show her some math about how many rounds you need to make to pay for the cost of the press. Once that's happened, its pure profit (in the form of ammo), in a sense.

The key is getting your wife on board in some way.

I bet there will come a day where if you sell it, you'll regret it.

I have a wife and a small daughter. My wife is pregnant with a son. We have four dogs, also. My family and my job also take up a lot of time. I still find time to reload, and I love it. I put a used recliner out in the garage, so when I reload after my daughter is asleep my wife can sit out there and talk with me while I reload.

The wife being involved is key.

Always have clean socks.

Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 03:09 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8213 Times on 4741 Posts
Likes Given: 10568

I think you need to make a decision here quick. If you decide to sell you will lose money, but I anticipate that there will be a flood of reloading equipment for sale by people who have done just what you did since Sandy Hook. Prices will fall like a rock when that happens. I would take one of the members here up on an offer to buy. (I have the 550 myself. It is an excellent machine)

If you decide to keep it then get off the dime and get set up. Hopefully you can find the components though.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
rockratt Likes This