reloading for dummies?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > reloading for dummies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 387 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 759

Default reloading for dummies?

I just picked up a RCBS rockcrusher (?) press, several sets of rifle dies, a case trimmer and a primer pocket reamer and some other reloading stuff at a yard sale. I also got a Lyman 1220 powder scale in the deal too(Yes I got a steal on it all.
Problem is I dont know anything about reloading and I really need some help/advice. I have a couple of older reloading manuals but they seem to assume you have knowledge to begin with. I dont know much about the mechanics of reloading and could sure use some advice/ help.
Is there a reloading for dummies book around?

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9170 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Matter of fact, there is. For most folks, I suggest the first thing they buy is a copy of ABCs of Reloading. Check over on Amazon- they usually have a used or discounted copy. BIG paperback. Think I should get a commission from Amazon- have sold about 100 copies for them.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Go here and download the manual.

Don <><

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=rcbs%20rock%20crusher%20manual&so urce=web&cd=1&ved=0CFIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.r cbs.com%2Fdownloads%2Finstructions%2FRockChucker_I-II_Manual.pdf&ei=tWULUNnxEKnj0QHum8jLAw&usg=AFQjCN HdouLS07GCafGlqkvaClmJUALpFw&cad=rja

Then go here and read "everything".
http://www.rcbs.com/guide/

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:41 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

C3 is right, the book The ABC's of Reloading is an excellent book for a beginner to learn the basics and they usually sell for about $15 or less on Amazon.com. another good book is Lee's Modern Reloadin data book. goes into a lot of detail about reloading as well as being a load data book. they lay it out very well for the beginner to understand what is going on.

get the books and read them several times before ever, ever trying to reload anything. make sure you are in complete understanding of what is going on. remember to follow all the safety procedures, as they are there for your safety. i consider reloading to be very safe and rewarding personally as long as you do it safely and properly. if done incorrectly, it can have some dangerous, or possibly deadly results for you. don't deviate from the load data, don't experiment, and follow directions to the letter and you will do fine. if you have more questions, many of us will be glad to assist you, but please get the books and read them, and you will have a much better understanding of the reloading process. good luck.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #5

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

I picked up ABC's of reloading and reloaders digest from my local library. Just finished the ABC's and it is a great book and great place to start. I hope to buy the gear soon and get started reloading.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2972 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 330

ABC's of reloading. Good book, best starting point.
Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition. Good, but it comes across as part of an ad campaign for Lee Equipment. I use some Lee equipment and I found it tiresome. It has a lot of data, so it's worth having regardless.
Lyman Reloading handbook, 39th edition. Also has info for beginners in the front, not quite as bad with the self promotion.
If you will be using cast bullets very much: Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition. Indispensable for cast bullet users, I wish I'd bought it sooner. I don't even cast my own yet. But that info is there too.
These, along with data from your powder manufacturers, is a good start. From here you can migrate to the brand specific manuals as your needs dictate.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 07-22-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #7

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Read the beginning chapters on the basics with the manuals you have so you don't blow up your guns. Go slow to make sure you are doing everything by the book, trimming measuring, weighing powder and book seating depth for bullets. Start off with the minumim powder loads and work you way up.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #8

Liked 44 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For me the Lee reloading manual was the best. Gave me a real good understanding of the basics. A good caliber in my opinion to start reloading is 38 special fired from a 357 magnum. Pretty hard to blow up a 357 magnum with 38 special reloads. Not impossible just unlikely. Buy a chronometer this will give you a better idea of whats going on with your reloads.