Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading on a Dillion XL650

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Reloading on a Dillion XL650

Any body with a Dillion XL650 have problems with their case feeder feeding large rifle brass ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
Any body with a Dillion XL650 have problems with their case feeder feeding large rifle brass ?
I load large rifle on my 650, with no problems. I do admit that there were growing pains that I had to experience. The major thing with this loader is the adjustments. Go step by step with tne manual, and you will have no problem. You can also call Dillon toll free, explaine you problem, and they will walk you through it. In no time, You will be putting out ammo like it's going out of style

Old 07-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #3

I probably need to expand this question. I bought my 650 last Dec. I loaded 2500 rounds of 30-06 and about 2000 .223. I then needed to size, decap and trim about 4000 30-06. This went well, only had a couple of feeding problems, but a good cleaning seemed to fix any issues. But even in the beginning with 30-06 I noticed that 1 of 7 rounds would fly by the slot and not drop, the other 6 usally dropped with no issues. Not that this only happens when is aligned West to East (Meaing the base of the cartridge is on the West/Left when it passes the slot). Any cartrige aligned East to West always drops.

After cleaning the machine throughly, Ineeded to load up 400 30-06 rounds. So I got everything setup, loaded the case feeder and off I went. I fired up the case feeder and noticed that 3 out of 7 were not falling in the slot. The case plate felt greasy, so I cleaned it with some De-greaser. Tried it again and same problem. I then called Dillon and had me inspect the case plate and asked me if there were any burrs or flashing on slots that are on the plate. I did notice one or two slots had some flashing. Dillon said I should take a file and remove the flashing. I did this and tried it again. Same situation 3 of of 7 (on the average) do not fall in the slot. I called Dillon again and they had no answer. So I struggled through the 400 rounds and did nothing for about a month.

I grapped about 150 clean and readly to reload rounds and dumped them in the hopper and disconnecte the down tube and aimed it into a coffee can. I fired up the case feeder and an average of 3 out of 7 don't fall. If you touch the round when it goes by the slot, it will fall. It seemed like the brass was being held against the slot in the plate. Since I made up my mind to fix this problem, I decided to drill a small hole in the middle of the case feed plate slot. I then pressed a small piece of solder in each hole, cut it off and rounded the end of the solder over like a small rivit. I reassembled everything, dumped 150 rounds in the hopper and turned on the feeder. Guess what - Every round now falls when it approaches the slot .

Any Ideas why ?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
I probably need to expand this question. I bought my 650 last Dec. I loaded 2500 rounds of 30-06 and about 2000 .223. I then needed to size, decap and trim about 4000 30-06. This went well, only had a couple of feeding problems, but a good cleaning seemed to fix any issues. But even in the beginning with 30-06 I noticed that 1 of 7 rounds would fly by the slot and not drop, the other 6 usally dropped with no issues. Not that this only happens when is aligned West to East (Meaing the base of the cartridge is on the West/Left when it passes the slot). Any cartrige aligned East to West always drops.

After cleaning the machine throughly, Ineeded to load up 400 30-06 rounds. So I got everything setup, loaded the case feeder and off I went. I fired up the case feeder and noticed that 3 out of 7 were not falling in the slot. The case plate felt greasy, so I cleaned it with some De-greaser. Tried it again and same problem. I then called Dillon and had me inspect the case plate and asked me if there were any burrs or flashing on slots that are on the plate. I did notice one or two slots had some flashing. Dillon said I should take a file and remove the flashing. I did this and tried it again. Same situation 3 of of 7 (on the average) do not fall in the slot. I called Dillon again and they had no answer. So I struggled through the 400 rounds and did nothing for about a month.

I grapped about 150 clean and readly to reload rounds and dumped them in the hopper and disconnecte the down tube and aimed it into a coffee can. I fired up the case feeder and an average of 3 out of 7 don't fall. If you touch the round when it goes by the slot, it will fall. It seemed like the brass was being held against the slot in the plate. Since I made up my mind to fix this problem, I decided to drill a small hole in the middle of the case feed plate slot. I then pressed a small piece of solder in each hole, cut it off and rounded the end of the solder over like a small rivit. I reassembled everything, dumped 150 rounds in the hopper and turned on the feeder. Guess what - Every round now falls when it approaches the slot .

Any Ideas why ?
I would like to see a picture of that

Old 07-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #5

Here is a quick pic, but It still looks like there is flashing from the original cast of this feed plate. Maybe a finer file is the trick. But in the middle of the slot you can see the button that I inserted there. The case feeder rarely misses the slot now. Thx for looking.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #6

wow. I haven't had a problem as of yet, but this is great information. The only problem that I have with mine is that it slings a little powder.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #7

You can fix that powder slinging thing by reducing the tension on the detent ball under the shell plate. The recomendation is to cut one loop from the spring that the ball sits on. This is supposed to stop the snaping of the shell plate as the detent ball approaches a parking hole.