Reloading Die Shortage
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading Die Shortage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Reloading Die Shortage

On July 30, I ordered an RCBS carbide die set for the .45 Long Colt from Cabelas (I had a gift certificate). As of this date, it's still on back order from RCBS. I checked some of the other Web sites (Graf & Sons, etc.) this morning and it seems that there is a general shortage of reloading dies. I thought the panic buying was only for ammo and reloading components, not reloading dies. What gives?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

People are buying things up before the new taxes hit.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2604 Times on 1272 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

oldtymer,

No it is anything to do with ammunition! And even armorer tools. Everyone is gearing up for whatever! I think it is loosening up some but I have my doubts if it will loosen that much for a long time if ever. One major company is producing ammunition 24-7. Out of every 10 rounds that is produced 5 rounds goes to the military somewhere in the world. Three rounds goes to Law Enforcement agencies and the remaining 2 rounds of the 10 goes to the civilian market. I think the perception is that as the liberal anti second amendment (Crooked Politicians and attackers of our Constitution) continue to try to find ways to infringe on our Second Amendment & Constitutional Rights suggesting taxing ammunition to the point of controlling ammunition for personal weapons. People have that consideration and the demand for anything to do with ammunition they are preparing for the worst. No doubt Cabelas has a lot of buying power in the market so they will eventually receive delivery if anyone does!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 09-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #4

Liked 522 Times on 355 Posts

I waited 7 months on a waiting list at Natchez dot com for the carbide die set all has to do with all the panic out there Plus yes we are going to be getting taxed per bullet bs that might explain the recent explosion in reloading supplies.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Im finding most dies available except for the 9mms and 223 dies. And most of all neck sizing dies only are unavailable as well.

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 09-06-2013 at 04:04 AM.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #6

Liked 522 Times on 355 Posts

Yeah nine millimeter was what I was waiting for everything else was pretty available but primers were hard to find . But not so much now.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #7

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ive been looking for 45acp dies and I cant find them anywhere locally. Or 9mm, I will just have to keep my eyes open for them.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1870 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 691

There is less than a 1% chance that an ammo tax bill will get through congress. Usually reloading equipment moves very rather slowly. One could reasonably assume the ammo shortage has even casual shooters considering reloading. Die makers are not going to spend millions to expand their capacity to find it idle in two years from now.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 09-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #9

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I looked for months to find a .380 auto die set & finally found one, but now I can't find brass in smaller quantities.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 09-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #10

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

American firearms owners and activist are aware of the pending dangers. Yes, you will note on these shooting forums there continues to be post supporting President Obama. If you are concerned about the "Bashing" of Obama ? Set down it will not end soon.
Obama has made it very clear he intends to change American Society. One of these changes is European Style gun control. He has and will use all manner of clandestine power plays in the lead up. He has just moved to end the 114 year old CMP program. He is using his power to attack states rights. The list goes on. American gun owners are preparing for his Final Solution.