Reloading Costs. - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading Costs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #51
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Exactly what my UPS driver told me. Almost word for word.
He said he had several items on one order from CTD and every one of them shipped separately at ridiculous rates. He is done with them as well.

I used to buy a lot from Wideners in TN, but not so much anymore because their shipping rates seem to have exploded too, but that may not be through any fault of their own. The high volume suppliers just get a better "deal" on rates from the shipping companies.
part of that is because CTD has multiple warehouses that are located in different states, and they will ship one order from multiple locations and charge shipping accordingly.

from what i have seen lots of people have lost faith in CTD and for more than just their shipping costs.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #52

Liked 1311 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
part of that is because CTD has multiple warehouses that are located in different states, and they will ship one order from multiple locations and charge shipping accordingly.

from what i have seen lots of people have lost faith in CTD and for more than just their shipping costs.
CTD has had some darn good deals on MecGar mags lately, just be sure to select the 3-5 day shipping option and the cost is close to others. I bought some MecGar mags for my Sig 226 from CTD and the price delivered to my mailbox was less than Midway or Brownell's before shipping.

CTD also had the best delivered prices on magazines for my phony pony 1911-22lr.

Apologies for the thread jack, but CTD always quotes express rates when it estimates shipping cost. When you finally make it to the check out page, you get multiple options. I always chose the least expensive method, whether buying from CTD, Midway, Brownell's, etc.

I buy lots of stuff off Ebay, free shipping on most or just basic USPS rates. Oh, I use PayPal too!

Last edited by Gatoragn; 07-27-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #53

Liked 3232 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:

Their shipping was always high enough to be an annoyance.

After their behavior following Sandy Hook, they lost me as a customer forever. First their "sensitivity" of discontinuing firearms sales for a while. While it was poor judgement IMHO, that to me was forgivable.

However the shameless profiteering that followed? IMHO, that was unforgivable. The $250 bricks of .22 ammo, the $99 USED GI AR mags. CTD can kiss my pasty white posterior.

NOTE: Before I get the typical, "it's the capitalist thing to do" line, I will answer it. Capitalism works both ways. Sure you can charge what the market will bear, or even more if you think you can get away with it. That is your right as a seller in this economy. No argument from me.
That said, it's MY right to give you a one finger salute and take my business elsewhere if I so choose. Simply because one has a right to do something, does not make them immune from the consequences of that decision.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand
People Like This 
Old 07-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Their shipping was always high enough to be an annoyance.

After their behavior following Sandy Hook, they lost me as a customer forever. First their "sensitivity" of discontinuing firearms sales for a while. While it was poor judgement IMHO, that to me was forgivable.

However the shameless profiteering that followed? IMHO, that was unforgivable. The $250 bricks of .22 ammo, the $99 USED GI AR mags. CTD can kiss my pasty white posterior.

NOTE: Before I get the typical, "it's the capitalist thing to do" line, I will answer it. Capitalism works both ways. Sure you can charge what the market will bear, or even more if you think you can get away with it. That is your right as a seller in this economy. No argument from me.
That said, it's MY right to give you a one finger salute and take my business elsewhere if I so choose. Simply because one has a right to do something, does not make them immune from the consequences of that decision.
that mirrors my sentiments about them as well. well said sir.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #55

Liked 358 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:

I often order things from industrial supply companies that have warehouses all across the country as well. I pay a VERY reasonable (dirt cheap really, no pun intended.) shipping fee on the entire order at check out. If items need to come out of different locations, they will invoice it one of two ways.
1) They bill the full shipping on the most expensive / heavy item and ship the remaining items from each location for FREE.
2) They split the total shipping costs between the packages but it never EXCEEDS the original shipping amount. I received a 56 lb package with $1.34 S&H on the invoice because they had to split the order between warehouses. All through UPS.

I gave up on CTD years ago after getting sale after sale ad's only to find everything in the "sale" was out of stock, and they wanted you back order everything. There's that "salute" again.....
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #56
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3458 Times on 1673 Posts
Likes Given: 1740

Axxe was correct there are many reasons to reload!
Some of mine are!
First of all I buy a little bit of reloading equipment at a time or as needed so it is not one major dollar outlay!

1. I can load for all the major caliber rifles I own.
2. I can load in specific bullet grains that are not readily available at the store
3. I can load each round for the rifle it will be fired in to achieve precise accuracy or lesson the recoil for my wife and grandchildren.
4. I can load even if a Tyrannical Government would restrict or eliminate the availability of civilian ammunition. Most of my weapons would still be in service and have the ability to protect myself, family and friends.
5. Ammunition as barter & trade collateral for necessities. "Better than money or gold!" As well as the guns!
6. Under those circumstances I could load for family and friends for what ever reason. To hunt for food or protection.
7. To save money in the long run or as stated ROI!

A good example of the cost savings is as follows. I dearly love to shoot some of the larger caliber weapons after shooting the 50 BMGs and others in the past. And specifically my 338 Lapua Magnum. However shooting them can get very expensive when factory ammunition can cost up to $4.69 a round for the 250 Grain HPBT Match Ammunition for the 338. So liking to shoot it leaves very little choice for me. I can reload a 338 round with new brass and the cost is $3.80 each. But here is the good part for a caliber of that magnitude! Once I have pre-fired brass I can reload the same round for $1.48 each.
Not that I will be shooting a lot of them "obviously"! But $1.48 is a whole lot better than $380 or the factory for up to $4.69 which includes S&H.
So the moral of the story with the 338 Lapua Magnum with 250 Gr. HPBT Match Bullets and using 84.8 grains of powder in my case. One can load the 270s, 30-06s, 308s and other calibers for a "Whole Lot Less" per round. SO Reloading is a good way to go! But I will say one thing the best money I have ever spent for reloading was on a Lyman 1200 Electric Powder Measure Unit. "WOW! Is all I can say. It drops the precise powder charge, warns if not correct, and counts the powder charges dropped so if you have 50 casings in your loading block and the counter advises 49. One should be checking since you probably have a case with zero powder! Great unit and no eye straining and trickle scales as in the past. I can drop a charge accurately measured in less than 5 seconds.
So good luck with your reloading adventure!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
People Like This 
Old 07-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1325 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Simply because one has a right to do something, does not make them immune from the consequences of that decision.
Capitalism at it's finest

Here's another side to the capitalism argument, $250/brick will totally eliminate hoarding. If the limited availability continues, capitalism will move in and new sources of production will take over

Old 08-08-2014, 05:36 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Axxe was correct there are many reasons to reload!
Some of mine are!
First of all I buy a little bit of reloading equipment at a time or as needed so it is not one major dollar outlay!

1. I can load for all the major caliber rifles I own.
2. I can load in specific bullet grains that are not readily available at the store
3. I can load each round for the rifle it will be fired in to achieve precise accuracy or lesson the recoil for my wife and grandchildren.
4. I can load even if a Tyrannical Government would restrict or eliminate the availability of civilian ammunition. Most of my weapons would still be in service and have the ability to protect myself, family and friends.
5. Ammunition as barter & trade collateral for necessities. "Better than money or gold!" As well as the guns!
6. Under those circumstances I could load for family and friends for what ever reason. To hunt for food or protection.
7. To save money in the long run or as stated ROI!

A good example of the cost savings is as follows. I dearly love to shoot some of the larger caliber weapons after shooting the 50 BMGs and others in the past. And specifically my 338 Lapua Magnum. However shooting them can get very expensive when factory ammunition can cost up to $4.69 a round for the 250 Grain HPBT Match Ammunition for the 338. So liking to shoot it leaves very little choice for me. I can reload a 338 round with new brass and the cost is $3.80 each. But here is the good part for a caliber of that magnitude! Once I have pre-fired brass I can reload the same round for $1.48 each.
Not that I will be shooting a lot of them "obviously"! But $1.48 is a whole lot better than $380 or the factory for up to $4.69 which includes S&H.
So the moral of the story with the 338 Lapua Magnum with 250 Gr. HPBT Match Bullets and using 84.8 grains of powder in my case. One can load the 270s, 30-06s, 308s and other calibers for a "Whole Lot Less" per round. SO Reloading is a good way to go! But I will say one thing the best money I have ever spent for reloading was on a Lyman 1200 Electric Powder Measure Unit. "WOW! Is all I can say. It drops the precise powder charge, warns if not correct, and counts the powder charges dropped so if you have 50 casings in your loading block and the counter advises 49. One should be checking since you probably have a case with zero powder! Great unit and no eye straining and trickle scales as in the past. I can drop a charge accurately measured in less than 5 seconds.
So good luck with your reloading adventure!

once you have the equipment for reloading, a person can buy and stock a little at a time to build up their inventory. and if you get a new or different caliber, about all you need are new dies.

i buy some bullets in larger quantities like 7mm and 30 caliber. i reload for three different rifles in 7mm, a 7mm-08, a 280 Rem. and a 7mm Rem. Mag. plus two in 30 caliber, a 308 and a 30-06, with plans for a rifle in 300 Win. Mag. so i tend to buy a variety of different bullets in various weights in these two calibers.

a good source for used equipment is Craigslist or Ebay. not a thing wrong with used reloading equipment. it very seldom ever wears out. my major components are over forty years old and are still going strong.

i find reloading to be a very relaxing hobby that adds enjoyment to my shooting. i get a lot of satisfaction out of making accurate loads that work very well in my rifles. i enjoy the fact that i can make premium ammo much cheaper than i can buy it for. i enjoy the process of working up loads and testing them out.