Reloading Costs.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading Costs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22109 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default Reloading Costs.

a lot of those who are new to reloading or thinking about getting into reloading ask about the cost of reloading or if it will save them money.

i thought a thread discussing just the the opinions, thoughts and ideas about the costs would be helpful for those new to reloading and those thinking about it from a cost perspective would be beneficial and informative.

here are my thoughts. reloading as a cost saving measure depends on several things. depends on how much you shoot and what you shoot and the cost of factory loaded ammo.

many who reload, usually reload for a several specific reasons. some reload because they do a lot of shooting and buy most components in bulk, therefor saving them money over the cost of factory loaded ammo.

some reload because they have a firearm that is expensive to feed factory ammo if they like to shoot it alot. some also have older guns that there is very little factory loaded ammo available for, and what is available is very expensive.

some like to reload because they like to build and fine tune ammo to their specific needs or a particular gun, that is more accurate or suiting to their needs than factory ammo. reloading, affords one the ability to load premium type ammo at less cost than most factory loads.

some reload because they enjoy tinkering and finding the last bit of available accuracy they can from a particular cartridge.

some of us fall into several groups and reload for more than just one reason. some people may only reload one or two cartridges for guns they own and some will reload for every gun they own.

first thing is, you have to factor in the cost of the equipment to reload to begin with and the components to reload ammo. this cost will ary from one reloader to the next and how indepth they they invest into reloading equipment. this can can range from a couple hundred dollars to several hundreds of dollars, depending on the brand and type of equipment that is bought. sometimes, you can save some money on the initial start-up costs by buy a complete kit, which has most everything to start reloading, minus the dies, cases, bullets, primers, and powder. looking around you can sometimes buy good used equipment for much less than buying new.

personally, i have no idea what the break-over point is, where how many rounds does a person have to reload to start actually saving money. honestly, there may not even be one. IMO, i doubt most reloaders went into reloading from that viewpoint to begin with. if you're reloading, you're going to be constantly be buying consumables anyways. now the more you reload, buying in larger bulk amounts will save some money over buying smaller lots of those components. if you shoot and reload a lot, buying bullets in lots of 1000 vs. a 100 at a time will save you money. same with powder and primers. another area of one of the costs of reloading are the Haz-Mat fees on pwder and primers. buying these locally or at gun shows will save you those fees. some buy in large enough bulk amounts to offset those fees.

here is a link so a person can calculate the cost of reloading their own ammo and use it to compare it to factory loaded ammo.

http://ultimatereloader.com/tools/reloading-costs-calculator/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 PM   #2

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I think you hit just about every reason other than the ROI. Maybe I can supply some input there. Back in the middle 80's my son who was 15 at the time really loved guns. I bought him a .22 when he was 12 and every weekend it was out to the desert so he could shoot. I always had a weapon for self defense, but none just to go out and shoot. Well he hooked me and by the time he was 16, we were shooting 9mm, 32acp, 44mag, 45acp. Even though he couldn't buy his own hand guns, he used mine. In the late 80's when I bought a Ruger Redhawk chambered in 44 mag, the cost was getting up there. If my memory serves me, we were paying like $.35 for each round (I know at todays prices, its a nit, but back then it was alot of money). So I told the then 16 year old that we had find a better solution. He said something about reloading (showing me Magazine articles), this is what we need to do to save money. He was tasked to find a reloading system so we could save some money. Remember this was B4 the internet. He came back to me with an ad for a Dillon 550. Since they were local we went out to check them out. Came home with one. Of course you now need a reloading bench etc, etc. But in the end after saving all of the receipts and still shooting at least twice month, it took just under 6 years to break even for all of the Pistol calibers that we were shooting before reloading.

Now after doing it for close to 25 years, I still save money and my son and myself try to shoot at least 3 or 4 times a year (however the guns have changed to weapons of mass destruction ie MG's).

Last edited by anm2_man; 07-02-2014 at 11:20 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-03-2014, 12:04 AM   #3

curious about the ROI.

good reasons for getting into reloading will vary from person to person.

i didn't get into reloading until about 7 or 8 years ago, but my father had been a reloader for many years. so i was exposed to it at very early age, and would "help" him when i was young. so i had a basic understanding about reloading from many years ago. about ten or so years ago, my father asked me if i wanted his reloading equipment as he said he hadn't used them in quite a few years. Hell Yeah Dad! i didn't jump right into it, and had bought a copy of the "ABC's of Reloading", (which i highly recommend to anyone thinking about getting into reloading) which i read several times. my father was the perfect mentor for my education about reloading, since he's a very meticulious and careful person about anything he does. so between the book, the load data manuals, and my father, my venture into reloading has been pretty sucessful and rewarding. i defer to some here on the forum on reloading questions, as there are many here who have much more experiance and knowledge than myself, since they have been at it longer. i also will defer to my father from time to time as well. he may not reload anymore, but he is still a wealth of information that i can use.

there are lots of knowledgeable members here and many are into different aspects of reloading.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #4

Liked 2609 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Here's a justification you only brushed upon:

Tailor-made hand loads. You don't see much 30.06,

for instance, with 110 grain varmint tips. Turns the

caliber into a flat shooter like 243, or 270, and gives it a

magnum-style punch.

Load HPs in 9mm as cold as the book allows, and if your pistol cycles

with them, you lose some of the over-penetration for which the

caliber is noted.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #5

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
curious about the ROI.
What r u curious about. "the time ?" or "the equipment selection ?".

As a new reloader, there were alot of costs, such as the equipment (and yes we could of bought cheaper equipment ), but I was ecstatic about Dillons No B.S. warranty. After that being new the reloading, we bought NEW brass, New Projectiles, Powder + Primers. The savings were much less until we started recovering most of our brass.

But the end result on the 44mag was 50% less cost even buying new brass).

Old 07-03-2014, 12:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Here's a justification you only brushed upon:

Tailor-made hand loads. You don't see much 30.06,

for instance, with 110 grain varmint tips. Turns the

caliber into a flat shooter like 243, or 270, and gives it a

magnum-style punch.

Load HPs in 9mm as cold as the book allows, and if your pistol cycles

with them, you lose some of the over-penetration for which the

caliber is noted.
good point Wolf. and you are exactly correct. yes, if you can gather the load information, you can make ammo that isn't available as factory ammo. with the number of makers of bullets and the hundreds of different varieties of bullets and powders, a person can pretty much make custom ammo for their guns. most factory ammo is well made and functions great in the vast majority of guns, but they cater to a broad range of users.

yes imagine a 110 gr. bullet in a 30-06, but also imagine that same bullet in a 300 Win. Mag.! if there is load data for such a load, that would be one fast travelling bullet!

Old 07-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
but I was ecstatic about Dillons No B.S. warranty.
I also like Dillon Precision. IMO it stands among the very best.

Last edited by therewolf; 07-03-2014 at 12:33 AM.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
What r u curious about. "the time ?" or "the equipment selection ?".

As a new reloader, there were alot of costs, such as the equipment (and yes we could of bought cheaper equipment ), but I was ecstatic about Dillons No B.S. warranty. After that being new the reloading, we bought NEW brass, New Projectiles, Powder + Primers. The savings were much less until we started recovering most of our brass.

But the end result on the 44mag was 50% less cost even buying new brass).
ROI? what does that stand for?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #9

Quote:
ROI? what does that stand for?
"Return On Investment"
Old 07-03-2014, 12:59 AM   #10

Liked 445 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
good point Wolf. and you are exactly correct. yes, if you can gather the load information, you can make ammo that isn't available as factory ammo. with the number of makers of bullets and the hundreds of different varieties of bullets and powders, a person can pretty much make custom ammo for their guns. most factory ammo is well made and functions great in the vast majority of guns, but they cater to a broad range of users.

yes imagine a 110 gr. bullet in a 30-06, but also imagine that same bullet in a 300 Win. Mag.! if there is load data for such a load, that would be one fast travelling bullet!
This is providing of course that the projectile will group in the 30/06 but you'll never know till you try a few test loads and reloading gives you that opportunity.

2 things about reloading,

1stly... if you shoot/hunt enough then reloading is your only real aim as you can save ammo costs and tailor a specific load to your rifle.

2ndly... if you don't shoot enough in a year then factory is a better deal BUT if you've got a mate who reloads you can probably get him to reload for you especially if he's got the same calibre as you. All's you do is buy the primers,powder and projectiles and off you go.

I've been reloading for years mainly standard calibres so there's no head busting necking down etc to do.

There's nothing more satisfying than dropping a trophy pig,deer etc with 1 of your own reloads as compared to a factory mass produced round.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Axxe55 Likes This