Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading-Cost Effective?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 05:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Reloading-Cost Effective?

I shoot mostly 9mm for now. I plan to go on to other things but have been wondering about reloading. How much do you have to reload to make it worth the money?

All the equipment, books, materials it seems to me it would take a very long time, or do most reloaders do it for the fun vs saving money.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default reloading

there has been news on all of the forums that ther is a shortage or a hold on all Primers, which is worrysome for us reloaders

Old 03-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #3

For sheer volume you'd have to shoot a ton to justify it depending on what you shoot. For calibers that have a surplus and/ or bulk market like 9mm and .223, decent ammo is pretty cheap, comparatively...

Until you start getting into rounds tailored for a particular application like varmints or long range. Premium .223 ammo gets pricey and if super tiny or super distant targets are your thing you may not realize the potential of your rifle with factory ammo.

I do it more for fun than to be cost effective.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 03-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Reloading 9mm may not be a whole lot less expensive then buying (cheap) factory ammo anymore. 20 years ago, you could save a few bucks by reloading 9mm, but over the past few years the cost of reloading components has gotten very high due to raw materials cost escalations and this has made it more of a marginal economic proposition. I still reload for my 9mm (plus about 12 other calibers), but mainly because I cannot stand to leave that nice brass on the ground at the range, plus I always bring home more brass than I shot that day.

As has been noted by others, the current Obama frenzy has caused a run on both ammunition and reloading components. It is getting hard to find bullets, primers and powder in the stores anymore, and even on-line suppliers like Cabella's and Midway are back-ordered on many components.

While reloading may, or may not, be less expensive for 9mm, it is definately a cost saver when you reload the larger calibers. Whether you would ever recoup the cost of the equipment to reload is a function of how much you shoot. Many people who reload do so because you can often handcraft better quality ammo than you can buy commercially, and I for one just enjoy doing the reloading work.

TXnorton

"My vision of redistribution of wealth is having many full 30 round magazines ready for (re)distribution"

Old 03-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

To me, reloading is not about cost savings (it does help though). It is about self reliance. I "could" buy cheap 9mm ammo but I would be relying on someone else's abilities. I cast my own bullets so the cost savings for plinking ammo is fairly considerable even in 9mm.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Reloading is about accomplishment to me, I get a kick out of shooting quarter inch groups at 100 yards. I do not ever shoot factory ammo except for rim fire. It's relaxing to sit at my reloading bench turning out one round at a time and depending on what I am loading, I do save money.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
Reloading is about accomplishment to me, I get a kick out of shooting quarter inch groups at 100 yards. I do not ever shoot factory ammo except for rim fire. It's relaxing to sit at my reloading bench turning out one round at a time and depending on what I am loading, I do save money.
I was at the semi- local gun club a few months ago, and this dude was shooting a Winchester 94 chambered for Winchester.375. He had an entire mobile reloading station, with his handloading ballistics charts, chrono, the whole shee-bang. He'd reload one round, shoot, write the results down, and make an adjustment. Then he'd reload one more, shoot it etc. He must have been there the entire day, but I can imagine how relaxing and satisfying it must have been.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Haha. My fiance recently got into reloading and asked me to start de-priming. It is so relaxing for me that I REFUSE to let him de-prime MY brass (which technically is most likely his brass because it probably came from one of his guns), but witht he way prices of ammo are going for us reloading is a bit cheaper and much more effective. He is a guns salesman so we get the oppurtunity to see really how much of a difference there is between reloading and buying ammo (you also have to take into consideration that he REFUSES to buy the cheap ammo. He is rather particular about things like that.)

Old 03-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Handloading Cost Calculator

Here's a link, can't remember where I found it, might have been here. Pretty helpful though. Hunter Joe

Old 03-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Great link, Hunter. Thanks.

I've been thinking about for a long time now. The problem is that I have too many hobbies. I make my own lures for fishing when I have the time, I wrap my own rods when I have time, I'm building a smoker when I have time. I wonder when I would have time to reload, but I'm convinced that having the ability to reload is another step in survival.