Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading cost

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

here is my two cents worth :P Personal reloading is a way to save SOME money, reloads even manufactured reloads such as Black Hills, and soon TruCor, are about QUALITY, when a company or person uses hand swaged bullets with hand reloaded bullets, the QUALITY of the finished product is worth it, especially for the serious shooter or avid hunter who wants to guarantee the drop of their target or a tight grouping. The money used on reloading supplies isn't that much and the more you buy in bulk, the better the cost savings you will get. The problem for the average PERSONAL reloader, is the powder and primers and one fired brass purchases. You guys get REAMED on cost per bullet with those 3 things especially brass and powder. The higher bulk purchase you can get the lower your cost per unit.. the problem being this.. you can't purchase bulk POWDER without a manufactuer's FFL. So yes and no with saving cost. Even INCLUDING our employee cost, we get high quality finished ammunition for about the cost of federal/winchester. Now for an avid shooter or competition shooter or avid hunter that wants the quality and certainty of their bullet doing what it is supposed to do and going where its supposed to go, paying $1-$3 more per box is nothing.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #42
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16913 Times on 9803 Posts
Likes Given: 44108

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCorAmmo View Post
here is my two cents worth :P Personal reloading is a way to save SOME money, reloads even manufactured reloads such as Black Hills, and soon TruCor, are about QUALITY, when a company or person uses hand swaged bullets with hand reloaded bullets, the QUALITY of the finished product is worth it, especially for the serious shooter or avid hunter who wants to guarantee the drop of their target or a tight grouping. The money used on reloading supplies isn't that much and the more you buy in bulk, the better the cost savings you will get. The problem for the average PERSONAL reloader, is the powder and primers and one fired brass purchases. You guys get REAMED on cost per bullet with those 3 things especially brass and powder. The higher bulk purchase you can get the lower your cost per unit.. the problem being this.. you can't purchase bulk POWDER without a manufactuer's FFL. So yes and no with saving cost. Even INCLUDING our employee cost, we get high quality finished ammunition for about the cost of federal/winchester. Now for an avid shooter or competition shooter or avid hunter that wants the quality and certainty of their bullet doing what it is supposed to do and going where its supposed to go, paying $1-$3 more per box is nothing.
at what amount does one need to buy in regards to bulk powder to need an FFL to purchase? i have never heard of such a thing. i know some of us buy in bulk amounts on powder and primers. just curious.

and IMO, it sounds morelike you're trying to drum up business. you might think about setting up as a vendor before doing so. there are rules here on the forum for such things. just my thoughts.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1453 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

So, um, after reading this whole thread, I'm guessing there really isn't a 'break even rule of thumb' to reloading because of all the confounding variables.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 180 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
curious as to why either of you say i am not saving money?

a box of premium ammo for my 280 Rem. costs about $44 per box of 20. my reloads when factoring in new brass is 27.56. wich is a savings of 16.44 per 20, and if i reuse the brass the cost is about $13.58 for a savings of $30.42 per 20.

please explain how i'm not saving money by reloading? are they teaching some new math that hasn't made it to my neck of the woods?
These guys aren't saving any money. What ever money is saved by reloading, they are blowing it, as in away, as in, doing more shooting that for the same amount spent on factory rounds. They are also making custom ammo, their own, and I suspect enjoy doing it. I get it, if you don't, because I don't go by money spent. I reload for more shooting. I don't like math and the only numbers I like to crunch are: 38, 44,7.62x54. 7.62 Tokarev, 7.62 Nagnt, 8mm Mauser.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Last edited by HM2Grunt; 02-02-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 180 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
So, um, after reading this whole thread, I'm guessing there really isn't a 'break even rule of thumb' to reloading because of all the confounding variables.
You don't get it. You don't "break even", you come out way ahead

Primers, powder,bullets=$$
More rounds of, "I did it myself" to shoot= Priceless

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 02-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
My break even is 1800 rounds of .45ACP. That is what I need to reload to save over factory ammo to pay for the press kit, scale, priming tool, media, tumbler etc. That will repay my initial investment to begin reloading.

The 9mm dies will be factored into reloading 9mm ammo. Those I have figured at $.09 saved and I will have to 533 rounds.

The .223 has cost me a set of dies and a case trimmer on top of my original investment. I'll have to figure that reloading out seperately. I think I'm going to be in the $.23 per round range. A while ago that would have only been about $.07 per round saved but factory ammo is much higher now.

I'm really a number oriented person and keep meticulous track of what I'm spending. The real benefit is knowing that I have 500 rounds of .45 loaded right now and even if I go shoot it all tomorrow, I just pick up the brass and in a matter of a couple days I will have those rounds on the shelf again.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #47

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Do you butcher your own meat? Do you warm your house with wood you have cut? Do you can your own chili peppers and make your own beer? Do you cast bullets and reload?
How much is feeling free and independent worth?

Old 02-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #48
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16913 Times on 9803 Posts
Likes Given: 44108

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Do you butcher your own meat? Do you warm your house with wood you have cut? Do you can your own chili peppers and make your own beer? Do you cast bullets and reload?
How much is feeling free and independent worth?
the more i am able to rely upon myself and less on others for anything, that feeling is priceless. it's worth more than all the money in the bank. it's empowers me to know i can survive and i can overcome any obstacle placed before me. yes that feeling is truly priceless.
People Like This 
Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1453 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
My break even is 1800 rounds of .45ACP. That is what I need to reload to save over factory ammo to pay for the press kit, scale, priming tool, media, tumbler etc. That will repay my initial investment to begin reloading.
About 2k rounds? I can do that easy (9mm) Thanks.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
About 2k rounds? I can do that easy (9mm) Thanks.
9mm would take longer. I have a $.09 savings vs $.17 for .45. Those numbers are based on the days of being able to get 100 round packs of Federal for $20/$30 at Wal-Mart. Haven't seen any of those in the past couple months. Savings would be even greater now that factory ammo is even higher.