Reloading components - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading components

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Read a lot before you start, get a new manual with current information. Learn how to load by the books and what to look for on damaged brass or bullets.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #22

Liked 192 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
The "kill" area on a deer is approx. 6 inches in dia. Most folks shoot no more than 300 yards. A load that produces 2 MOA is perfectly adequate

I will gladly trade off a small amount of accuracy for bullet performance and/or increased velocity.
And where do you see me say I was giving up speed for that accuracy? My 6.5x55, 7mm-08, and 30-06 all shoot max charges with one of their fastest powders, the Sweed is running a full 200fps over factory, the 7mm-08 120fps over factory, and the 06 just under 100fps quicker with it's 165s, only two rifles that I shoot below factory spec are my 308 which is my brush gun anyway, it likes short stubby 150s at 2700ish fps. And my 270 WSM that I backed down to 3140fps on purpose because it was too fast. I think I am hitting them plenty quick enough. I am not giving up anything with the terminal performance of the SGKs either, in fact they are too effective for these small southern whitetail and I am about to work up a different load in the 06 not because poor terminal performance but because I like there to be some deer left to eat. I won't take a load hunting unless I can get it down to an inch, while you are right in the 6" kill zone you have to account for the human element as well, I can shoot one hole groups off the bench but in the filed I doubt I am even an MOA shooter in the freezing cold once buck fever sets in, in fact I would bet against it.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5814 Times on 3288 Posts
Likes Given: 5277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
And where do you see me say I was giving up speed for that accuracy? My 6.5x55, 7mm-08, and 30-06 all shoot max charges with one of their fastest powders, the Sweed is running a full 200fps over factory, the 7mm-08 120fps over factory, and the 06 just under 100fps quicker with it's 165s, only two rifles that I shoot below factory spec are my 308 which is my brush gun anyway, it likes short stubby 150s at 2700ish fps. And my 270 WSM that I backed down to 3140fps on purpose because it was too fast. I think I am hitting them plenty quick enough. I am not giving up anything with the terminal performance of the SGKs either, in fact they are too effective for these small southern whitetail and I am about to work up a different load in the 06 not because poor terminal performance but because I like there to be some deer left to eat. I won't take a load hunting unless I can get it down to an inch, while you are right in the 6" kill zone you have to account for the human element as well, I can shoot one hole groups off the bench but in the filed I doubt I am even an MOA shooter in the freezing cold once buck fever sets in, in fact I would bet against it.
Whoa!!! Never said you were doing anything. Just general comments. when I was younger, I wasted thousands of dollars on components trying to get 1/2 inch groups on big game rifles.
I got a .375 H&H load that shot 3/4MOA, but I lost 200 FPS to do it.

As I grew older and more experienced, I finally cam to realize that if I had a load with good velocity, and a bullet with good performance, I didn't need varmint accuracy to hunt mule deer and elk. Just sayin'

Winston Churchill