Reloading components - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading components

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5698 Times on 3222 Posts
Likes Given: 5110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
I used to use Rem Primers, my choice to switch had nothing to to with any problems, but rather an economic one. 1,000ct bricks of CCI for $30 or 100ct single packs for $5.50 each, nobody sells Rem primers by the brick around here. CCIs perform just as good, zero issues to date.
That's a good reason!

Winston Churchill

Old 02-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1706 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1296

I prefer CCI primers but have been using some Feds. lately since CCI's have been hard to come by lately and they seem to work pretty good.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:06 AM   #13

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I like CCI small rifle primers. WLR primers in my 30-06. Sierra bullets almost exclusively but sometimes use Hornady. Sierra bullets are fantastic bullets for the money. I use W748, H335, and Tac for my 223's and IMR-4895 for my 30-06. So far all Ive needed is my Sierra manual so far but I do have 2 nosler manuals as well.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #14

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The CCI small pistol primers have caused many problems over the years. Anyone who has used them in tuned revolvers has had problems. The skirt metal is too heavy for lower impact main springs.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #15

Liked 189 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I don't load the small pistol primers in revolver but I do load CCIs for my friends Super Blackhawk 44 Mag and they work just fine, just as they do in my five rifles and three pistols. Only primer I had a failure to fire with last year was a Winchester.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2824 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyT View Post
Just started reloading. Are there certain brands of any components that are much better than others? How about any brands to avoid?
What are your needs? I shoot a lot of cast bullets in my handguns. I have no need to pay $.19 per bullet for plinking or punching paper informally. If you are building precision rifle loads for the big match, that's another issue.
As for what to avoid? Honestly, there probably isn't a lot to worry about there. You will need to pay attention to what your needs are and purchase the appropriate products. For instance H110/Win296 is the wrong powder for wife & kid loads for your .44 mag. In much the same way, Max loads of Titegroup are probably not the most effective use of that powder.
CCI (pistol) Primers have a reputation for being the hardest. No biggy, unless you have a gun with a weak hammer spring and an issue with light strikes. Then Federals are probably the preferred primer for that application, as they have a reputation for being the softest.
Reloading allows you to "Build to suit," and do so for a lot less money. It's up to you to learn the best way forward and figure out the appropriate product for your needs. Off the top of my head, I don't know of any particularly "bad" products, just stuff you don't need for what your doing.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #17

Liked 189 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I have never used a bullet with a poor reputatuon on game, so I have never had dissapointing results, but I have tried some that did not give me the accuracy I was looking for, idealy I like loads that shoot 3/4" or better for huning, Sierra Game Kings have given me that much more so then any other bullet, I HIGHLY recommend these to any new handloader. Hornady SSTs shoot really well in my rifles that like tipped bullets, but not all rifles like them.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5698 Times on 3222 Posts
Likes Given: 5110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
I have never used a bullet with a poor reputatuon on game, so I have never had dissapointing results, but I have tried some that did not give me the accuracy I was looking for, idealy I like loads that shoot 3/4" or better for huning, Sierra Game Kings have given me that much more so then any other bullet, I HIGHLY recommend these to any new handloader. Hornady SSTs shoot really well in my rifles that like tipped bullets, but not all rifles like them.
The "kill" area on a deer is approx. 6 inches in dia. Most folks shoot no more than 300 yards. A load that produces 2 MOA is perfectly adequate

I will gladly trade off a small amount of accuracy for bullet performance and/or increased velocity.

Winston Churchill

Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Primers I use,never seen Federal primers so haven't had the occasion to try them.

NO,I'm not hoarding.

Powders I only use the IMR series,nothing wrong with the other brands.
Bullets,Remington,Sierra,Hornady,& MILs'. Armscor(Philipines) 5.56 bullets used to be available in bulk at a good price,haven't seen them lately.
Brass,I use virtually all brands/headstamps.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

yep and it depends on what you are trying to reload for . Example benchrest reloading is a lot more precision than loading a handful of pistol bullets to go plinking with .Not to take that lighty either as you have guide lines to follow in all reloading ,shotgun ,pistol ,rifle ,benchrest etc etc

Experientia Docet