Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading components

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Reloading components

Just started reloading. Are there certain brands of any components that are much better than others? How about any brands to avoid?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3746

They're all good.

I like Remington and Winchester due to lower prices.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 355 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 119

The ones you can find are the best. I do have a preference for CCI primers, but I think that's because they were the first ones I ever used. Welcome to reloading and I hope you enjoy it.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #4

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Brass: Norma/Lapua but they are pricy so I normally make due with Rem, Win, Fed, and PPU
Primers: 210M for my 308 and CCIs in everything else.
Bullets: Sierra is my favorite in rifle because they just shoot so darn good in every single rifle I load for, and the only way the deer could fall any faster would be if they had shorter legs, but most everybody makes a decent bullet, I load just about everything. For handgun I like Hornady XTPs.
Powders: Alliant and Hornady powders are my favorites, RL19, RL22, H4831, Varget, and H1000 to be specific, though I have one rifle that won't shoot with anything other then Ramshot's Big Game.
Manuals: Nosler without a doubt, second place goes to Lyman which really awesome if you are into cast bullets.

Last edited by Apex-Predator; 02-19-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 AM   #5

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

CCI is the benchmark in primers.

I run CCI and winchester primers, they've worked well, I see no reason to deviate.

Sierra and Hornady rifle bullets. Precision Delta and Xtreme pistol bullets.

I use IMR, Hodgdon and Alliant powders.

Dillon , RCBS and MEC presses.

Lee dies for pistol, hornady and RCBS for rifle.

Imperial sizing wax and Hornady One Shot for case lube.

Lapua brass for precision rifle, doesn't matter what brass you use for everything else.

I use Lee second edition reloading manual, and Sierra data to supplement.

RCBS Uniflow and Dillon powder measures, RCBS 10-10 scale. Lyman case trimmer and crimp cutters

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1480 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 1071

Like most things in life there is good and there is better and reloading is no different but as always better usually cost more.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 259 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Lee is a decent brand. I don't reload but know of people that use their reloading brand items. Pretty good prices from what I hear! Hope you enjoy yourself!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

The people who created the problem are not the ones who can fix it...

Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

MattyT, my Father has reloaded since I was 6 or 7. I'm knocking on 60 and retired about 2 years ago. Reloading is a life's journey and brings up more good conversation in the family than you can imagine. Of course the women go off to discuss something else! My oldest son is close to becoming a full time gunsmith, slowly acquiring the needed tools/equipment. Like most have said, you get what you pay for. But starting out on a reasonable budget is OK. As you go along and if your interest remains, you will figure out the components that will make it easier and faster. I don't know what we would do without our heavy press (single stage) RCBS. It just makes some of the tougher tasks like sizing go better. And the Little Dandy we use for powder disbursement is just awesome - best for finer grain powders, flake powders it is not quite so efficient. Once you find a really good load to duplicate many times, consider the Little Dandy if the powder is not real flaky.
My family are always discussing bullets, powders, etc. Buying a new powder and putting the challenge on Dad to find some good loads has kept his interest. Not sure what firearms you are reloading, but bullets are a major component. We love to use cast bullets where they can be used. Just be sure to read your firearm manual about them. For example I don't use cast bullets in my HK and Glock - highly not recommended (you can read the debates). There are sources of cast bullets where you can purchase them for $30-$50 per 500, depending on bullet weight and shipping. My CX4 in 40S&W, after extensive testing, best likes a cast 180 grain bullet with Bullseye powder.
So many options and so much to learn, even for us 'ol timers. Enjoy the journey.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3746

I had bad experiences with CCI primers many years ago.

For more than 30 years I have used Remington primers exclusively and never has a single problem.

Also, Remington #7 1/2 small rifle primers and #9 1/2 large rifle primers are MilSpec, so they are ideally suited to .223,.308, 7.62X39, 8MM Mauser Etc.

Last edited by locutus; 02-20-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #10

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I used to use Rem Primers, my choice to switch had nothing to to with any problems, but rather an economic one. 1,000ct bricks of CCI for $30 or 100ct single packs for $5.50 each, nobody sells Rem primers by the brick around here. CCIs perform just as good, zero issues to date.