reloading cast bullets with lee loader
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > reloading cast bullets with lee loader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default reloading cast bullets with lee loader

Friends,

I'm just getting into reloading and I've found this forum to have a wealth of great information. My setup is the most basic of all; a $20 9mm Lee Loader. Here's my question:

When I reload with cast bullets(147 grain, wax-ring, .356), upon pressing the bullet into the freshly sized and reamed case, I always get a ring of lead that gets shaved off the round. As a result, I have to scrape the lead ring off the completed cartridge. Should I continue doing this or should I somehow size/crimp the cartridge after I seat the bullet?

If I just keep loading this way, could my accuracy be suffering?

Thanks for your help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #2

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Chamfer much?

Old 02-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #3

Liked 739 Times on 514 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
Chamfer much?
+1. You need to chamfor the inside of the case mouth.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2944 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 262

The mouth of the case is not getting belled enough. And, yes, this will adversely effect your accuracy.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #5

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

You got to be kidding me. You actually use a Lee Loader for 9mm? As far as I know a Lee Loader neck sizes only and does not put a bell on the case. No wonder you're having a problem getting lead bullets in. Lead bullets are usually sized .001-.002" over a jacketed bullet. Do you have a press at all? Because then you could get the Lee Universal Expander die. Of course, if you had a press, it would just be easier to get a carbide die set for 9mm. And I'll bet you would reload them 10-20 times faster.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I agree with gandog. The Lee handloader is a great way to start, but the ammo produced may at times give problems due to sizing.
I started out in the middle 60's loading shotshells and then .30-06 rifle with these tools. The shotshells could only be pushed into a chamber such as my dbl barrel. The '06 gave a problem right off with the Remington 742 autoloader.
Trying to load 9mm for an autoloading pistol and using cast bullets will give problems that only proper sizing and seating dies will eliminate. You really need a press and a set of carbide dies as well as a Lee factory finish sizing die for the autoloading pistol especially if you are using cast bullets.
Also your cast bullets should be properly sized.
Lee makes probably the most price reasonable equipment for reloading. You should check out what they have to offer.
Get a good loading manual as well---Lyman.