Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading ammo for a newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Repeat after me---reloading is not habit forming--LOL. Have injured my rotator cuff and have not reloaded for several months till a couple nights ago. Uncovered the Forester Co-Ax and used it with my left hand/arm. Worked fine and loaded 40 '06s that I had clean/primed.
For the "newbie", find a methodical mentor who does things right. Purchase two manuals, study them, work with your mentor some, load some on his presses/tools, and then go. Soon you will be "going to town" loading. I ALWAYS check my powder levels prior to seating boolits and use "loading blocks" (wood or plastic trays) to hold them securely. Soon you will learn about aggravating crimped primer pockets, Berdan primers, small primered 45s, and some other little oddities that make loading interesting--lol. I admin at handloadersbench and you can find a myriad of answers under the search feature. Enjoy your new hobby and prepare for learning to cast your own boolits later on for greater savings. Lots to learn but good and fun stuff. And remember, you can quit anytime you want----bwaaa bwaaaa.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:45 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

#1 read the stickies

#2 buy and read at least one loading manual cover to cover. ABC's of reloading or Lyman's #49

#3 Make a friend who reloads. He will come in handy. You can trade components and help explain the parts of the book you do not understand.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

locutus Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5072 Times on 2884 Posts
Likes Given: 4237

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
#1 read the stickies

#2 buy and read at least one loading manual cover to cover. ABC's of reloading or Lyman's #49

#3 Make a friend who reloads. He will come in handy. You can trade components and help explain the parts of the book you do not understand.

Absolutely. There's no substitute for a hands-on "instructor."

The man who taught me shot NRA bullseye, IPSC, and PPC. He cast his own bullets as well.

Consequently, after the first 6 months, I actually knew more than a lot of folks who had been reloading for 10 years.

Ya can't beat "hands on" instruction.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.