reloading 9mm and. 45 acp - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > reloading 9mm and. 45 acp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1845 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 1215

Yes it will.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #12

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Anybody else recommend lee factory crimp dies?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #13

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
No.

Taper crimping is more than adequate on straight walled pistol cartridges.

You are securing the projectile in the case to prevent bullet setback during chambering.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #14

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

So what's the difference between factory crimp and taper crimp?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5683 Times on 2970 Posts
Likes Given: 377

The lee dies work just fine. I prefer them over other crimp dies. They are easy to adjust and easy to remove case mouth belling without over doing it. I use them to crimp 9mm and i use them to crimp 45-70 they work great on bottle neck cases as well.

You just have to know your minimum outside case mouth diameter, which you can obtain from a sized case

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2838 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Yes. I have them for each caliber I reload.
Quote:
So what's the difference between factory crimp and taper crimp?
I will keep this relevant to 9 mm & .45ACP. As far as the actual crimping itself goes, it does the same taper crimp as any other taper crimp die. Additionally, the Lee FCD essentially full length sizes the completed cartridge as well.
Some will argue that you shouldnever require this (the second full length sizing) process if you're doing everything correctly. I will only say, that with jacketed & plated, they may be right. Shoot a lot of cast and you will appreciate the additional insurance. Cast bullets brass will sometimes not wish to chamber due to the extra thousandth or two in bullet diameter. Naysayers will state that I am resizing the bullet unnecessarily and that it's bad to do that. Since I've used the Lee FCD, I've never have one of my rounds fail to chamber correctly. Previously I had some where the slide would not go the last 1/4" into battery.
Additionally, even without the full length sizing, many will argue that doing your crimping as a separate step is better as well. I would think that in principle at least, they might be right. In reality it's probably not that significant. The actual "crimp" required is little more than knocking down the bell you put into it earlier.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 01-15-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1947 Times on 1184 Posts
Likes Given: 2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
with taper crimping, after you size a case measure the outside diameter of the case mouth. then when you setup you crimp die only crimp enough to return the outside diameter to the measurement you took. crimping more than that will actually cause the bullet to loosen in the case and setback creating overpressure and possible kabooming your gun.

taper crimp is for removing the case mouth bell only. it is NOT for pressing the case mouth into the bullet.

the other type of crimp is roll crimping and those dies are used with cannelured bullets to roll the rim of the case slightly into the cannelured ring around cannelured bullets. never ever use a roll crimp on a cartridge like 45acp 40sw 9mm etc that spaces of the case mouth.
Canneluring is supposed to help resist setbacks (see my article on Setback). Factory canneluring is used on both of the cartridges that I studied, Hornady Critical Defense 9mm and Federal HydraShok 45ACP.

Is there a difference between the way the factory cannelures and the roll crimp you mentioned? I've started to look into reloading based on the latest ammo availability crisis, but know very little about it at this point. I'd like to be able to cannelure if it is possible and safe.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 01-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5683 Times on 2970 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Canneluring is supposed to help resist setbacks (see my article on Setback). Factory canneluring is used on both of the cartridges that I studied, Hornady Critical Defense 9mm and Federal HydraShok 45ACP.

Is there a difference between the way the factory cannelures and the roll crimp you mentioned? I've started to look into reloading based on the latest ammo availability crisis, but know very little about it at this point. I'd like to be able to cannelure if it is possible and safe.
you dont cannelure a bullet during the loading process. a cennelure is created when the jacket is created. i dont use my lee dies to create a cannelure and i always crimp as a seperate step. if you try and create a cannelure as a secondary step you can cause jacket seperation on firing as the bullet exits the muzzle.

dont over crimp. a cartridge doesnt need a death grip to function in most semi-autos. cannelures are needed in belt fed machine guns too keep bullets from being extracted during loading. cannelures are also used in heavy recoiling rounds or tube fed firearms like lever guns.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #19
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1947 Times on 1184 Posts
Likes Given: 2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
you dont cannelure a bullet during the loading process. a cennelure is created when the jacket is created. i dont use my lee dies to create a cannelure and i always crimp as a seperate step. if you try and create a cannelure as a secondary step you can cause jacket seperation on firing as the bullet exits the muzzle.

dont over crimp. a cartridge doesnt need a death grip to function in most semi-autos. cannelures are needed in belt fed machine guns too keep bullets from being extracted during loading. cannelures are also used in heavy recoiling rounds or tube fed firearms like lever guns.
OK, if I understand it right, the canneluring is the ring of ridges around the bullet. Some amount of crimping of the casing around the ring of ridges is what helps the cartridge resist setback. Excessive crimping can actually create problems with overpressure or with the bullet tumbling after leaving the barrel.

The Federal HydraShok 45ACP cartridges have a visible ring of ridges on the outside of the casing. The Hornady 9mm cartridges only show such a ring of ridges on the bullet itself right at the edge of the casing. I imagine that at the factory they have some fairly sophisticated equipment to make their respective canneluring approaches work. Another fine reason to use only factory ammo for SD purposes!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 01-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:

Would it work in a hornady press?
Yes, lee factory crimp will work with any standard press