Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   reloading 9mm and. 45 acp (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloading-9mm-45-acp-81348/)

potentialglock 01-15-2013 01:54 AM

reloading 9mm and. 45 acp

Do I need a taper crimp die for either 9mm or. 45 acp? I believe I know what a crimp does but feel free to explain the pros/cons of crimp or no crimp.

Rick1967 01-15-2013 02:32 AM

What brand of dies are you using? Most seating dies crimp at the same time. Lee makes a factory crimp die. But their seating die that comes in the set can also crimp. It is up to the user to use whichever they want. I do taper crimp both of the calibers you asked about.

potentialglock 01-15-2013 02:44 AM

I havnt picked any up yet.

potentialglock 01-15-2013 03:23 AM

Now crimping is just to securely seat the bullet in the brass right?

CourtJester 01-15-2013 03:28 AM

I picked some dies up at a local gun show and found a place to get "free" brass at an indoor range but my dies crimp.
I'd be interested to get some insight from the more knowledgeable.

potentialglock 01-15-2013 03:29 AM

I'm going to a gun show Saturday. Looking for ammo and dies

Rick1967 01-15-2013 03:34 AM

Well that depends on the caliber. When you start out you size first. That will deprime at the same time. Then you expand the mouth of the case. That is so a bullet will sit in the mouth. Next you will install a new primer. Then you will charge with the proper amount of powder. Then you will seat a bullet. Most people will crimp at the same time. If you are doing a rimless cartridge like the 45 or the 9mm you will simply taper enough to remove the expansion that you put on the mouth of the case. This is a delicate step because if you dont crinmp enough the gun will not go into battery. (the slide doesnt go all the way forward) If you crimp too much you can cause the round to tumble in the air.

JonM 01-15-2013 03:47 AM

with taper crimping, after you size a case measure the outside diameter of the case mouth. then when you setup you crimp die only crimp enough to return the outside diameter to the measurement you took. crimping more than that will actually cause the bullet to loosen in the case and setback creating overpressure and possible kabooming your gun.

taper crimp is for removing the case mouth bell only. it is NOT for pressing the case mouth into the bullet.

the other type of crimp is roll crimping and those dies are used with cannelured bullets to roll the rim of the case slightly into the cannelured ring around cannelured bullets. never ever use a roll crimp on a cartridge like 45acp 40sw 9mm etc that spaces of the case mouth.

locutus 01-15-2013 07:36 PM

Taper crimp will work well, but the LEE factory Crimp die is an order of magnitude better.:)

potentialglock 01-15-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 1094895)
Taper crimp will work well, but the LEE factory Crimp die is an order of magnitude better.:)

Would it work in a hornady press?