Reloading 8mm J

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading 8mm J

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Default Reloading 8mm J

I want to add an 88 Commission to my collection. I'd like to be able to reload for the J round. Does anybody here have experience doing so? Would I need different dies or a different expander to deal with the smaller diameter bullet? What data do I use? Are there bullets available? Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1207 Times on 823 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101 View Post
I want to add an 88 Commission to my collection. I'd like to be able to reload for the J round. Does anybody here have experience doing so? Would I need different dies or a different expander to deal with the smaller diameter bullet? What data do I use? Are there bullets available? Thank you.
The letter "J" often mentioned by English speaking sources is actually an "I" for Infanterie (German for "infantry"). A stamped "I" at the cartridge bottom in writing styles used in the past in Germany could be easily mistaken for a "J". Even in the 21st century the "I" is often substituted by a "J" in English speaking communities and German ammunition manufacturers often write "JS" instead of "IS" to avoid confusing customers. The letter "S" stands for Spitzgeschoß ("pointed bullet"), and the English designation "spitzer" for that style of bullet is derived from this German term. The I & IR are .318, The IS & IRS are .323......

When all else fails.