Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloading-86145/)

Redneck420 03-09-2013 02:52 PM

Reloading

I am thinking about saving up for a reloading kit and the calibers I am going to load are:
7.62x54r
.223 / 5.56mm nato
.41 magnum
30-30 winchester

I need recommendations for slugs, shells, powder, primers, and powder charges for each caliber.
I plan on getting a rock chucker.

Steel_Talon 03-09-2013 03:30 PM

Pick one caliber to start/learn with. Then move on to other calibers. I'd start with a pistol caliber myself.

Now you need a good kit of items to start reloading with, so think in terms of a basic "kit" instead of a peice-meal. However there's nothing wrong with good second hand items. You need a couple of books to learn from/with * The ABC's of REALOADING and a manufacturer manual I like **SPEER manual.

Another item you must have in your reload area is a solid bench/table to load from. Even if its a temp or portable structure build it solid.

Best of luck

aandabooks 03-09-2013 03:48 PM

Buy the ABC's of Reloading and the Lyman 49th books. Between these two 95% of your questions will be answered. After that is just tips ad tricks from experienced loaders.

Check the stickies at the top of the page. Lots of good answers there too.

locutus 03-09-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks (Post 1169857)
Buy the ABC's of Reloading and the Lyman 49th books. Between these two 95% of your questions will be answered. After that is just tips ad tricks from experienced loaders.

Check the stickies at the top of the page. Lots of good answers there too.

^^^^^ what he said!:)

Also look around your local gun clubs and LGS to see if anyone is offering the NRA reloading class.

zebramochaman 03-11-2013 03:59 AM

I hate to rain on your parade but now is the absolute worst time for people trying to get started in reloading. The equipment and components are either not available or they are commanding ridiculous prices. I do have the equipment and many of the components I need to reload for what I regularly shoot but I have been frustrated in trying to find certain dies and powders. I hope you experience better luck than I.

robocop10mm 03-11-2013 12:13 PM

As always, first step is to RTFM. Read The Effing Manual. Get the ABC's of reloading and/or the Lyman 49th edition and read them. Then come back and ask questions.

hockeyjr1 03-11-2013 12:28 PM

Hey guys ik everyone was saying to read the abc of reloading but does this cover shotshells too? I want to get into loading shotgun ammo but not rifle ammo for a while.. Also I found the book "reloading for shotgunners" is this any good?

cottontop 03-11-2013 02:30 PM

abc's

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 (Post 1171968)
Hey guys ik everyone was saying to read the abc of reloading but does this cover shotshells too? I want to get into loading shotgun ammo but not rifle ammo for a while.. Also I found the book "reloading for shotgunners" is this any good?

yes it does.
ct

JWagner 03-11-2013 04:07 PM

As pointed out, the availability of reloading supplies is pretty poor. Yesterday, I listened to a talk radio program whose guest was the owner of a custom ammunition shop. He predicted shortages of reloading supplies for the next 9 to 12 months. Good luck.

locutus 03-11-2013 04:27 PM

I guess I'll be "advocatus diaboli' again.

ANYTIME
is a good time to get into reloading. Today is not the very best time for the reasons enumerated above, but it's still a good time.:)