Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 327 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Default Reloading?

Hello. I do not plant to get into reloading but I have been watching a few videos on youtube about it. It really looks more like a hobby and so far, none of my firearms are too expensive to shoot. I can see how reloading is very useful if you have an older gun that requires more expensive rounds.

When charging the case with powder, how do people know what amount to use? Is there a book or something? Say I want to reload a simple 7.62x54 rimmed; how much powder do I use? Powder is measured in grains? I know the bullet is also measured in grains. From what I have been viewing, people use a machine that you pull the lever down and the powder drops into the case. I think you do this multiple times to get the correct amount and then you go to town and drop powder in all your cases. I know overcharging is dangerous so you need to pay attention to how many times you pull that lever down. How many grains go into a standard 7.62x54 rimmed round? Again I appreciate all the help. I don't want to give you the misconception that I know nothing about firearms. I know quite a bit but reloading is not my thing and I have never tried it and at this point do not plan to. It looks fun though!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #2

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

Wow, not sure how to answer your question without being a smart ass. Oh, wait read the ABC's of reloading and then get back to the reloading thread.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglesam View Post
Wow, not sure how to answer your question without being a smart ass. Oh, wait read the ABC's of reloading and then get back to the reloading thread.
:/ Well the attempt was to seek help from people that reload often/have an interest in reloading.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #4

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

OK, I reload and often. The amount of powder on my Lee turret press is determined by a disc that measures the powder. The first stage of the press de-primes the casing and then puts in a new primer. The second stage adds the powder. The third stage seats the bullet and the last stage crimps the the bullet and casing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPoLxeCAhcQ

Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #5

Not to offend you or anyone else, though I probably will because I seem to be pretty good at it when not even trying, but if I ever run into a guy who claims to know a lot about guns, the first thing I ask is, "Do you reload?" If they say, "No," then I find some way to get away from them because after just a few words into the conversation, they will inadvertently display their severe lack of firearm knowledge. They usually will spout off things that are not true, opinions, and gun cliches and myths. On the other hand if the guy does reload, we will have a very intelligent and lengthy conversation about guns in general and about all kinds of ballistics. Not trying to hurt any feelings but you experienced reloaders know what I am talking about.
ct

Last edited by cottontop; 02-22-2013 at 03:47 AM. Reason: spelling

rockratt Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

buy the Lee 2nd edition reloading manual and read it. I save money on all calibers i reload. Whether its 9mm or 30-o6.

Im doing 9mm,10mm, 357/38, 223, 243, 308, 30-06, 35 rem, 12ga, 45acp.

The ability to load for your specific gun and purpose is invaluable.

when 10mm is running $35.bx of 50, Im doing it for $10-12 bx

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 02-22-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Not to offend you or anyone else, though I probably will because I seem to be pretty good at it when not even trying, but if I ever run into a guy who claims to know a lot about guns, the first thing I ask is, "Do you reload?" If they say, "No," then I find some way to get away from them because after just a few words into the conversation, the will inadvertently display their severe lack of firearm knowledge. They usually will spout off things that are not true, opinions, and gun cliches and myths. On the other hand if the guy does reload, we will have a very intelligent and lengthy conversation about guns in general and about all kinds of ballistics. Not trying to hurt any feelings but you experienced reloaders know what I am talking about.
ct
We all start off somewhere

cottontop Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #8

Liked 54 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Im pickin up what youre puttin down bro, youve kinda jumped into the middle of a phase of reloading, visually that is. Lemme start ya off with a begginin taste... Your right about the hobby thang but u can also"save" moneys(more like shoot more) with rollin your own. Round for round reloadin vs store bought can cut costs to a fraction( depending on ur setup and how much extra crap u buy to do it).

raw materials fora round- Primers,Brass,Powder,Bullets- All in the correct size,weight,grade for your cal.

Load Data for each speciifc round corresponds mainly to the brand of powder, which that company usually has there data for their powder available. Theres also many manuals out there with tons of load data for many diff. powders, bullet gr. weight , cal.

Theres too much to go into detail, but what u saw on the video was a auto powder feeder that accuates out a specific charge into ur brass. alot of people hand weigh each load on a scale then into the brass it goes.

Ive def. enjoyed my adventures thus far into reloading and have had success so far

If you ever decide to giv it a go or just want more info on the overall process then def. get the ABCs of reloading of somthing equivalant first thing before buying any equiptment.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJack View Post
Im pickin up what youre puttin down bro, youve kinda jumped into the middle of a phase of reloading, visually that is. Lemme start ya off with a begginin taste... Your right about the hobby thang but u can also"save" moneys(more like shoot more) with rollin your own. Round for round reloadin vs store bought can cut costs to a fraction( depending on ur setup and how much extra crap u buy to do it).

raw materials fora round- Primers,Brass,Powder,Bullets- All in the correct size,weight,grade for your cal.

Load Data for each speciifc round corresponds mainly to the brand of powder, which that company usually has there data for their powder available. Theres also many manuals out there with tons of load data for many diff. powders, bullet gr. weight , cal.

Theres too much to go into detail, but what u saw on the video was a auto powder feeder that accuates out a specific charge into ur brass. alot of people hand weigh each load on a scale then into the brass it goes.

Ive def. enjoyed my adventures thus far into reloading and have had success so far

If you ever decide to giv it a go or just want more info on the overall process then def. get the ABCs of reloading of somthing equivalant first thing before buying any equiptment.
Thanks for the productive reply. I will be checking more into it. Maybe some day I will reload. Someday

Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5177 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 4394

The best serious advice I can give, is to ask around your LGS if anyone if offering NRA reloading classes. Id so, take one.

If not, ask someone you know who reloads to mentor you, hands on.

If you don't know anyone, get a copy of ABCs of reloading and the Lyman reloading manual and do some study.

It;s easy, it's safe(if you're careful) and it's rewarding hobby.

Golda Meier.