Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Default Reloading

This might be in the wrong category...if so I'm sorry i just wanted the right eyes on it.
Ive read up on reloading and have helped my dad with some. We currently reload for our pistols and our .270 WIN. When you set up the dies for the .270 it said to adjust out until the bullet touches the riflings. Today i was reading an article on the difference between .223 and 5.56 and they talked about the space at the breech end of the barrel that isn't rifled. The way they made it sound is that the bullet isn't already in the rifling when it's fired. Is that true our did i somehow misinterpret?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5502 Times on 3116 Posts
Likes Given: 4780

A bullet touching the rifling could be potentially over pressure limits and therefore dangerous.

Some competitive shooters do it, but they are VERY EXPERIENCED shooters and reloaders, and they are loading target velocity ammo..

I can't imagine any load in the 223/5.56 where you would want this. Back them off at least .010 or even .020

BTW, look at the reloading subforum. Lotsa good info there.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Not being argumentative but how do bench shooterts or match shooters , if you will , shoot from ,close or Even on the lands? Is it their high dollar barells ?

Sorry just read your second paragraph

Old 12-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5502 Times on 3116 Posts
Likes Given: 4780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs View Post
Not being argumentative but how do bench shooterts or match shooters , if you will , shoot from ,close or Even on the lands? Is it their high dollar barells ?

Sorry just read your second paragraph
They load single rounds. Start very low and work up slowly. Touching the lands can possibly result in greater accuracy, but any meaningful gain will only be realized in a super accurate match grade barrel.

This is a very specialized procedure, like seating bullets with your fingers. It has a place, but normally in bench rest shooting.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #5

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

The space in the breach that isn't rifled is called the leade or throat. A safe zone is about .20-.30. Thank of it as like a running start before it gets to the rifling. This will avoid over presser.

Last edited by robocop10mm; 12-12-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: fixed it for you
tri70 Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

The 5.56 has a slightly longer throat. The bullet is allowed to accellerate while transitioning to the rifling. The 5.56 is set up with what is called "free bore". The Weatherby rifles have considerable free bore. This allows pressures to be kept at a reasonable level. Loading with the bullet touching the rifling will cause pressures to increase.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I load what the gun likes. I have some guns that I have the bullet jammed into the rifleings and other that shoot better with a .030 jump. If you are going you going to load into the rifleings you need to start alittle below suggested starting loads because the presure will be higher. The space between the case and the rifleings is called free bore. Roy Weatherby put alot of free bote in his rifles so he could run the velocities up, but guns with alot of free bore are usually nat real accurate.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 12-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

With a 5.56 you have to have a longer throat on the barrel so that the pressures don't become too great

Old 12-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #9

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I would start with the book recommended length unless you have a way to measure your chamber depth. I find manufacturer recommended col works pretty well. I have been reloading for over 20 yrs and consider myself average and casual. I view at least 3 different manuals and factory web pages. Learn to reload for safety and accuracy, read more than you need to so you don't blow up your rifle and risk injury.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

axxe55 Likes This