Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloading-76848/)

Rhino040 11-21-2012 10:02 PM

Reloading

I am new to reloading, I have a lee anniversary kit and I have reloaded roughly 1800 rounds with it for my 9mm. I would like to upgrade to a progressive press cheaply. Any suggestions? Anybody looking to sell?

Rick1967 11-21-2012 10:13 PM

I have the Lee. It works ok. But I am constantly having to adjust it one way or another. If you can find a used dillon I would seriously consider it even at twice or three times the money.

Rhino040 11-21-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967
I have the Lee. It works ok. But I am constantly having to adjust it one way or another. If you can find a used dillon I would seriously consider it even at twice or three times the money.

How long have u been reloading?

Overkill0084 11-21-2012 11:00 PM

What are your needs? 1000 rds per month? 10,000? Do you need progressive capability for multiple calibers or just one? There's progressive & then there's PROGRESSIVE. How much are you willing to spend?
If all you need is one caliber with one load, you might want to think about something like a Dillon Square deal. Not a terribly flexible setup, but good quality.
I know a guy who loves his Lee. But I'm pretty sure he only uses it for .45. He's also someone who doesn't mind fiddling with it some, to keep it going. If it's a workable option for you, it's certainly a good deal.
I've been thinking about making the jump, but I'm not shooting as much as I was. If I were to make the jump, I'd probably go with a Dillon 550B.
Oh, I don't know much about it, but I've heard good things about Hornady's Progressive press.

robocop10mm 11-22-2012 01:31 AM

I know a lot of poeple who have bought the Lee progressive. All have upgraded to a Dillon w/in a year. Save yourself the trouble and expense of buying something you will not be happy with. Go Blue!

I have been loading on a Dillon RL450 since 1984. Over 100,000 rounds through it. Dillon stands by their product. When one of the screws stripped out on my primer feed, Dillon upgraded me to the 550 version. Cost to me? ZERO$.

Rick1967 11-22-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino040 (Post 1022846)
How long have u been reloading?

Only about 5 years. But I am a collector. I reload 17 different calibers that I can think of off the top of my head. I do a lot of experimenting too.

noylj 11-22-2012 03:54 AM

I reload for lots of calibers and love the Hornady L-N-L.
I wouldn't load on a progressive with less than 5 die stations, thus neither Lee progressive would satisfy me.
If you don't need a case collator/feeder, get the Hornady.
If you need a case collator/feeder, get the Dillon XL650 with case feeder.
I love my three Dillon 1050s, but...

shadecorp 11-22-2012 04:46 PM

Love my Dillon.

M1Hound 12-01-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino040 (Post 1022821)
I am new to reloading, I have a lee anniversary kit and I have reloaded roughly 1800 rounds with it for my 9mm. I would like to upgrade to a progressive press cheaply. Any suggestions? Anybody looking to sell?

My experience in life (64 years of it) tells me to buy the best I can affort even if I need to make the purchase a few parts at a time. I use a Dillon RB550B and just love it. I know everyone has their own favorite press and that's fine. Need to use what works best for you. A lot of gun stores in our area do some reloading in the back. Ask if they do and if so see if they will let you try it out. Look for features. When you start getting into this hobby you start to learned what works for you. With the Dillon I can use Hornady, Lee, RCBS etc. dies. This press is not indexed, the Dillon is a progressive loaded that must be rotated from station to station manually. You can see my set up on the reloading bench thread about page 16 or so. Just posted the photos today. Good luck and have fun, this hobby is really a blast. (pun intended)
Mark
:D

M1Hound 12-01-2012 10:49 PM

9mm load question

I have a box of X-treme bullets 9mm - 135gr RNFP - basically copper plated lead. I have on hand Winchester 231. In all my books I cannot find a recipe for this combination. Win231 is not even mentioned in heavier bullets, so maybe the 135gr is to heavy for the Win231. I think the 231 is a fairly fast burning powder. Any ideas other than going to v-3N37 or something along those lines. I just don't want to purchase more powder.
Thanks. AATW