reloading? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 11-19-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #22
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1732 Times on 960 Posts
Likes Given: 5280

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV View Post
there is a big difference in the brass they use.
reducing variability is indeed one of the goals in producing accurate ammunition.

For most, using brass from the same lot or box results in a consitency that most can't acheive in a home shop.

While I have a scale and a length trimmer, I do not have a neck reamer or turner, so using the same lot is best for me.

For centerfire rifles, that I wish to be accurate, I purposely bought several boxes of Remington Core-Lokt with the SAME LOT Number.

As note above, some buy large lots of primers or other components.

Reducing Variability is the best way to make the cartridge do it's best.

Just as the shooter tries to reduce the variables, movement, breathing, heartbeat.
AsSeenOnTV Likes This 
Old 11-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2692 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Huh? Have you actually shot what you have reloaded? Every munitions factory sets their machines to a 'universal tolerance to make said brass. There is slight differences to these 'universal tolerances' in each of these different casings. Some have thicker walls near the bottom, some are more uniform all the way up, but each of them are measurable differences. This even can be between lot numbers. Although they may seem of little or no significance to you, they do have affect on chamber pressures, which 'greatly' changes the path the bullet takes, down wind.
There are minute differences between lots from a given manufacturer. These differences are barely perceptable to most loaders/shooters. They are using raw materials made to the same specifications, formed on machinery that changes little. Unless you are a world class shooter using top of the line hardware you will not see a difference as long as the stuff you can control fairly easily is, in fact, controlled. You can spend hours turning necks, weighing cases, powder charges and bullets and you will not see significant gains (unless you are one of the aformentioned top .001% of the shooting public using a gun that costs more than my monthly paycheck).

Have I shot what I have reloaded? Only about 100,000 rounds, junior. I have shot .25-06 ammo 10 rounds using 5 different headstamps of commercial and military cases, 117 and 120 gr BTHP and BTSP bullets, powder dropped from a Dillon dispenser into less than 1" at 100 yards and that was from a stock Remington 700 ADL sporter weight barreled, Redfield scoped rifle. Could I do "better" your way? Probably, but who cares.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #24

Default reloading

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
For my bench guns I group all my cases by .1 gr incraments (Buying Laupa brass helps me in this). I also will buy primers by the 10k and call my order in to make sure I can get that many in the same lot. Never had a problem. I have my dies cut by the rifle's smith from barrel stock with the exact same tools used to cut my chamber. I use a $370 Harrell Culver powder measure and Load one at a time on my arbor press. I also buy custom bullets by small time makers I also weigh each powder charge 2 times on 2 different scales. My reloading bench has a granite top because it is less prone to environmental conditions, my reloading bench is supported by 8x8 legs and the framing is all 2x10 construction and it is bolted to my 12" concrete floor and I check level of the bench every time I load on it. I have one press I use to load plinking and varmint hunting ammo and it is mounted with 3/4" hardened steel plate custom designed and built press stand. I don't use digital scales and I lock the door when I load for my bench guns. I trim meplats and spend hours on case prep trimming, turning case necks, measuring, and annealing with my Ballistic edge case annealing machine. I also spend plenty of time checking case run out bullet run out OAL and I take notes on everything when shooting. I record wind speed direction, humidity, temp, cloud cover sun position, time of day, time of year, and in many cases the tide as well. I try to remove all variables from my bench loads except for me the shooter. I don't drink any caffeine with in 3 days of a shoot I only eat specific food the day of a match I make sure and only drink water and make sure I am well hydrated. That is nothing, I know some crazy cookie bunch rest shooters. We tend to be an odd bunch. .01" increase in group size warrants a new barrel. I have many times only loaded brass 1 time then tossed it because I didn't like the way it performed.

Shoot I tried turning my own cases out of brass bar stock and forming them myself once. Took too long and didn't yield the results I was looking for.

Wow! And I thought I was a fanatic. I really do appreciate what you bench rest competitors do and I appreciate your dedication. My rifles are not terribly expensive and I shoot usually once a week at the local range. Most of my rifles (i.e., my .222, .225, .243, 6mm Rem., .25-06, and my 6.5x55) will shoot sub moa groups if I am steady enough and sometimes I will get those ragged hole, all bullets touching group that will really make my day. If my .300 Savage or one of my 8x57's shoots a 1 moa group I am happy. I'm sure there are things I could do to make my reloads shoot even better, but I just don't have the energy to take those extra steps. Keep up the good shooting.
cottontop

Old 11-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #25

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
There are minute differences between lots from a given manufacturer. These differences are barely perceptable to most loaders/shooters. They are using raw materials made to the same specifications, formed on machinery that changes little. Unless you are a world class shooter using top of the line hardware you will not see a difference as long as the stuff you can control fairly easily is, in fact, controlled. You can spend hours turning necks, weighing cases, powder charges and bullets and you will not see significant gains (unless you are one of the aformentioned top .001% of the shooting public using a gun that costs more than my monthly paycheck).

Have I shot what I have reloaded? Only about 100,000 rounds, junior. I have shot .25-06 ammo 10 rounds using 5 different headstamps of commercial and military cases, 117 and 120 gr BTHP and BTSP bullets, powder dropped from a Dillon dispenser into less than 1" at 100 yards and that was from a stock Remington 700 ADL sporter weight barreled, Redfield scoped rifle. Could I do "better" your way? Probably, but who cares.
I rest my case then

Old 11-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5507 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
.......if you keep them in the same lot numbers. If you reload and then mix all your brass together, the consistency in accuracy kinda falls off.
some mixed brass results

ss109 mixed brass 300 yards. the bullets are reloaded from air pulls

69grain smk 300yds open sights mixed brass ar15a2

hornady amax definately not target bullets in mixed brass 300yards submoa

here is a mosin p/u sniper at 100yards open and scope using surplus 7.62x54r. there is no argument that milsurp russian steel cased ammo is utter junk with charge weights varience in whole multi grain varience.

with just a little loading attention paying attention to charge weights you can easily beat or surpass factory stuff.

bench resting is a different discipline

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-11-2012, 02:30 AM   #27

Liked 1802 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

Hey KYMIKE. What caliber are you shooting? How much brass do you have? If you are shooting something expensive it doesnt take long to get your money back. I agree on the Rock Chucker. I have one. Great press. Check yard sales too. I have found crazy deals on reloading stuff at yard sales.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

22/250. Im shooting hornady superformance.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

It's lotsa fun to go for one hole groups. Just remember, you're doing it for fun.

For hunting big game, plinking, and most practice shooting, 1.5 MOA is more accuracy than you'll ever need.

Even 2.0 MOA is only 6 inches at 300 yards. Ever see a deer that didn't have at least a 6 inch "kill zone."

Winston Churchill

Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #30

Liked 1802 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

I don't shoot 22/250. But I checked midwayusa.com. The cheapest brand they had was 65 cents a round. I can reload 223 for less than 20 cents a round. The reloading components are similar. So if you are looking at the economics of reloading you could save 40 cents per round. That will add up really fast. How much do you shoot?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.