Reloading
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Reloading

Does it cost alot to reload 9mm?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3048 Times on 1526 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Only if you choose to spend a lot.
If all you shoot is 9mm, reloading probably isn't going to save you much money. Unless of course you have a specific need that is hard to address with factory ammo. I reload 9 mm because I already had all of the gear for for other calibers. So a set of dies and the needed consumables and I was on my way. I doubt I would have bought the gear and associated stuff just for 9 mm. With 9mm alone it's very hard to save enough money to make it worth your while. You can still save, but the really cool numbers are with the more expensive calibers. I can reload cast bullet ammo for around $12 to $13 per hundred. Cheap factory stuff is around $20 per hundred, I'm sure it can be had cheaper with a bit of luck and savvy shopping. So at a savings of around, call it $7 per hundred (very likely less if tax &/or shipping is a factor), you will have to shoot 2800 to 3000 rds just to break even on $200 worth of reloading equipment. $200 is a fairly conservative cost estimate. Is it worth it? You decide.
Reloading is a great hobby, and it can save you some money. But don't expect miracles.

Oh, & FYI- The Ammunition & Reloading forum would have been the ideal location for your question.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?
oldpapps Likes This 
Old 09-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #3

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Don't get into reloading to try and save money because you really won't, all you will do is shoot more for about the same cost. Reloading is a really fun hobby and adds a new dimension to being a shooter.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As others have stated, you will not save a lot of money reloading 9mm Luger since it is readily available at an affordable price. Your capital investment will undoubtably run a couple of hundred dollars in buying reloading manuals, the press, the dies, a scale, calipers, tumbler, and other accessories such as primer pocket cleaner, etc.
This does not include the cost of the components & other consumables such as tumbler media and brass polish. If you have a stockpile of brass that you have saved from your trips to the range you have a leg up. The cases are the most expensive component. Costs will vary depending on what bullets you load with. Primers will run around $.03 per round. Powder will be a few cents per round depending on what you use. Bottom line you can load 50 rounds for around $5 using the least expensive components vs $9.50 per box of Tulammo non-reloadable FMJ.
The real values to reloading is to be able to create what you need without having to try to find what you want at the gun shops, creating the most accurate load for a particular gun and in enjoying yet another facet of the sport we enjoy. If you plan to reload for other calibers, IMO it is well worth the investment.
I am a relative newbie to reloading since I only started in January, however, I have successfully loaded .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .357 SIG, 9mm Makarov, .44 Special, .44 Magnum and .45 ACP. It costs me around $50 to set up for a new caliber.
I hope this gives you an idea of the costs/benefits of reloading for the 9mm.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21986 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

yes and no! 9mm is the cheapest centerfire cartridge to buy and the cheapest to shoot. if you only reloaded for the 9mm, and trying to setup to reload for it, you will not see any savings over factory ammo in the beginning. if you already reload for other calibers, then addind the needed equipment, you might see some savings, depending on where you source your loading components. primers and powder are cheap and go a long ways, brass and bullets are going to be the most expensive components you need to buy. i reload lots of different rifle and pistol calibers, but choose to buy factory 9mm ammo to shoot vs. reloading it. now the next pistol caliber i will be buying dies to reload for is my 40 S & W, due to the cost of factory ammo.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #6

Anny good advice on good/cheap clean 9mm ammo.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1252 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 525

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic8292 View Post
Anny good advice on good/cheap clean 9mm ammo.
I buy WPA (Wolf) steel case in multiple box quantites when it is on sale, for like $7.99 for 50. I can't see that it is any dirtier the Winchester, Remington, etc.

Lots of folks must agree, Mills Fleet Farm sells WPA 9mm by the truckload.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #8

Ok, thanks. Will tri it.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #9

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
yes and no! 9mm is the cheapest centerfire cartridge to buy and the cheapest to shoot. if you only reloaded for the 9mm, and trying to setup to reload for it, you will not see any savings over factory ammo in the beginning. if you already reload for other calibers, then addind the needed equipment, you might see some savings, depending on where you source your loading components. primers and powder are cheap and go a long ways, brass and bullets are going to be the most expensive components you need to buy. i reload lots of different rifle and pistol calibers, but choose to buy factory 9mm ammo to shoot vs. reloading it. now the next pistol caliber i will be buying dies to reload for is my 40 S & W, due to the cost of factory ammo.
I agree, but I think the next caliber I am going to set up for is going to be 9mm. I can find once fired brass for $4.50/100 and cast bullets for about $37/500, cheaper if I buy on line. That works out to just under $9/50 but I enjoy the hobby and it allows me to work up loads that I like for my particular pistol. I don't really shoot 9mm all that much, but I want to have a decent stockpile of ammo for every caliber that I own. Plus so many of my friends shoot 9mm and are saving brass for me.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #10

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

When I first got into reloading All I was doing was .45. By the time I fired 1080 of my reloads the stuff I bought to get started had paid for itself. (That was of course at the costs at the time). But then things changed, I saw what I was able to do with .45 and branched off into other calibers. And it turned into another hobby.

You can save money reloading, and you can save money reloading any caliber, but you have to be mindful of how much you shoot or it will quickly turn into what others have said, and will just let you shoot more for the same cost.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”