Reloading the 7.62x54R with Trail Boss?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading the 7.62x54R with Trail Boss?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Reloading the 7.62x54R with Trail Boss?

Hello,

I've read on various boards of reloading the 7.62x54R with Trail Boss to make a reduced load.

I'd like to try this as I usually use 335. I like the 335 load, but wouldn't mind keeping a few reduced loads around for novice shooters.

I cannot find official reloading data, though. Can anyone help?

Thank you,

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #2

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Just follow the instructions.
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Old 05-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #3

Thanks!

I'm surprised I didn't see this on their website. I was looking under reloading data..?

I'm notorious for that kind of thing, though.

Do you have any guesses as to what kind of pressure would be generated? Something similar to the 7.62 NATO, right?

If I could send a nice, heavy bullet subsonic, that would be even better. Suppressed M91/30, anyone?

Thanks again,

Josh
Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Do you have any guesses as to what kind of pressure would be generated? Something similar to the 7.62 NATO, right?
Not hardly,TB is intend for reduced loads,if you use 150 gr. jacketed bullets expect MV somewhere between 1300 and 1600 fps. depending on the load density you end up using.

Even if you were to load the 54r using standard powders you still want match the 7.62 NATO pressure wise by MV will be similar with similar weight bullets. I'll take similar MV with less pressure any day.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by res45 View Post
Not hardly,TB is intend for reduced loads,if you use 150 gr. jacketed bullets expect MV somewhere between 1300 and 1600 fps. depending on the load density you end up using.

Even if you were to load the 54r using standard powders you still want match the 7.62 NATO pressure wise by MV will be similar with similar weight bullets. I'll take similar MV with less pressure any day.
I meant similar to pressures generated by the 7.62 NATO loaded with TB, which does have a listing on there, likewise the .30-'06.

Sorry, thought that was implied.

Josh

Old 05-17-2011, 12:53 AM   #6

Sorry about that,when it comes to reloading I tend to answer the question as it was ask and not assume anything,that get people hunt or killed.

Pressure wise you not going to get the same pressure in the 54r using TB as you will with the X51 or .308 Win. case for that matter. The 54r case has less case capacity so less powder,less pressure and less MV as far as TB is concerned.