Reloading 7.62x54r - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading 7.62x54r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
The report I have my doubts. We all shoot subsonic pistol ammo in our 9mm. Its just as loud as the hypersonic 115 gr ammo, even when fired from a carbine with a 16" barrel.
Backpressure + ejection port=BOOM with some ammunition. The shooters ear is much closer to the ejection port than it is the end of the bore. In bolt/lever guns you have no backpressure/ejection port for sound to exit. By the time the sub-sonic rd. exits the longer barrel rifle both pressure and in some instances bullet velocity has decreased.

You also have to take into account that if a particular subsonic load is on the edge of being supersonic that a simple change in temperature/altitude and humidity can change the speed of sound under those particular conditions and cause that rd. to go supersonic. Temp and humidity increase the speed of the sound waves and have the most affect on the ammo. Some info on suppressors,what they do and don't do.

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/24620/suppressor-basics/

As far as if the ammo is subsonic or not I only trust what my chrono tells me and if I
don't hear that sonic crack. My subsonic rifle loads around the old shooting bench are referred to as mouse farts,hearing protection optional.

Last edited by res45; 11-07-2012 at 03:52 AM.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #22

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

When I lubricate my pellet rifle it goes supersonic. Yet the noise it makes is no more than a 22 LR. In fact my pellet rifle is faster than most 147 gr 9mm rounds. You have to get a good +P 147 gr 9mm round to go faster than my pellet rifle. My pellet rifle has been checked by a good chrono owned by the local sheriffs dept. They were curious how I was beating so many deputies in informal silhouette matches. They assumed the pellet rifle was supersonic. We have a no supersonic rule to hold down equipment costs.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The FTF is so AWESOME! Ask one simple question and get all of this! Thanks so much guys.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:30 AM   #24

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

http://www.chuckhawks.com/30Russian.htm
I was checking out my reloading books to find loads for larger bullets. They all said see .308 I understand your frustration. Because the 7.62x54r is capable of more than a 308 load.

When you check out reloading information sites they all say pretty much the same thing. They point out all the problems reloading for the Mosin that I mentioned in my earlier posts, even the Milsurps Knowledge Library.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #25

Liked 2033 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1351

My Hodgdon paperback has info. That is what I have been using.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8844 Times on 5119 Posts
Likes Given: 11572

My buddy has a 7.62x54r upper for his AR (not exactly sure why he went this way but nevertheless...) and I was talking to him about reloading for it. Should we slug the barrel to size it or what?

Old 11-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6033 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
My buddy has a 7.62x54r upper for his AR (not exactly sure why he went this way but nevertheless...) and I was talking to him about reloading for it. Should we slug the barrel to size it or what?
Slugging will tell you for sure the diameter if there is some doubt. Its easy to do

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #28

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Just call the mfg. of the upper they can tell you the groove dia. which could be anything from .308 to .311,it just depends on what they based there specifications on when they designed the upper.

Mosin rifle groove to groove dia. varies widely even in rifles made in the same country especially during wartime conditions when mass producing rifles was more important than sticking close to the original design and tolerances.

The Finnish Mosin's we designed from the ground up more refined and to be more accurate,your typical Finn Mosin will have a groove dia. of .309.5" .308 dia. bullets work well in these rifles. Your typical Russian Mosin bore can run anywhere for .310 to .316 those two numbers are in the extremes,most generally slug out at .311 to .312 my M44 is .312 as well as both my brothers two 91/30's. The only sure way to know and being able to pick the best dia. bullet which does affect accuracy,velocity and pressure is to slug the bore yourself http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm

Reloading manuals vary widely aside from powder and primers used,bullet dia. varies as well from one manual to the next. Reloading manuals base there data on different criteria some use the actual rifle,some use a universal receiver which basically uses a chamber insert for a specific cartridge. A .308 dia. bullet is a safe choice in any Mosin,no problems with chambering or pressure issues. If you load an oversizes bullet say a .312" in a 309" dia.. Finn rifle chambering the rd. might not be a problem but you will have pressure issue loading that larger dia. bullet at near or Max. load density. I suspect thats why so many manuals list the .308 dia. bullet it take away much of the liability of the company from individuals that either don't know or care to research there particular rifles specifications.

On a side note my Lyman #48 & #49 manuals list the groove dia. as .313" using the Finn SAKO rifle,while my old Lyman #45 manual list the groove dia. as .310 using the US MADE Westinghouse Mosin. My M44 Russian which slugged out at .312" groove to groove as well as my brothers two 91/30's shoots the .311" dia. bullet in the 150 gr. range best .308" don't shoot well at all. With cast,bullets sized to .314" have provided the best accuracy.