Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading 7.62x54r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1630 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

I use BL-C(2). It is quite consistant. I use a .309 gas checked 150 grain bullet that I cast myself. But I size them through my .311 sizer die. It locks the gas checks on really well. If I remember correctly they mold a little big anyway. It makes for some really nice range ammo though.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5075 Times on 2887 Posts
Likes Given: 4243

I think you'll find 4985 to be one of the best.

With the long firing pin, and heavy firing pin spring, I would also suggest a MiSpec primer like Remington 9 1/2, or the CCI equivalent.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've never used any Mil-Spec primers for reloads in a Mosin,setting the firing pin protrusion is very easy to do with the tool if you don't have one there pretty cheap.

Disassembly/Reassembly Tutorial and firing pin adjustment.
http://www.milsurps.com/content.php?r=301-Mosin-Nagant-Bolt-Disassembly-Reassembly-Tutorial

Old 11-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
@patriot98 If you are just trying to get ammo for hunting season the 203 gr SP Brown Bear shoots mighty good. If your rifle is up to snuff you can expect very good results from Brown Bear. Sellier & Bellot shoots very well and you can save a little more brass. Sellier & Bellot only offers 180 gr sp ammo.
I did pick up some hunting ammo for my M91-30 it was wolf gold 180gr its boxer primed brass cased ammo. Has any one reloaded wolf gold ammo?

Old 11-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have heard of some people loading subsonic. They would use 11.0 gr of trailboss. What are your guys thoughts about doing that?

Old 11-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5114 Times on 2661 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Subsonic rifle rounds are typically for suppressor use. There is a real danger of detonation if no case filler is used and there is a real likely possibility of tumbling as it leaves the muzzle.

Unless your running suppressed there is no real need for taking your rifle down to the power level of a weak 38 special.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #17

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I did pick up some hunting ammo for my M91-30 it was wolf gold 180gr its boxer primed brass cased ammo. Has any one reloaded wolf gold ammo?
Wolf Gold Line ammo is made by Prvi Partizan,Wolf is just an ammo importer and contracts out all there ammo to various mfg. As far as your question goes if its brass case and boxer primed yes you can reload it.

Quote:
Subsonic rifle rounds are typically for suppressor use. There is a real danger of detonation if no case filler is used and there is a real likely possibility of tumbling as it leaves the muzzle.

Unless your running suppressed there is no real need for taking your rifle down to the power level of a weak 38 special.
There are some truths and some myths to what JonM is saying,however you have to take several things into consideration when developing subsonic rds. choices as to the powder and bullet type as well as case prep and philosophy of need and use all come into play.

I shoot sub-sonic rds. in all my centerfire rifles (cast bullets) one because there accurate,quiet,cheap to make and shoot and it gives me/you the ability to turn one rifle into a multi use weapon for taking anything from small to large game when you may find yourself limited to just one rifle or only rifles in 30 cal. or larger.

As far as suppressors go I don't own one or have a need for one since my sub-sonice cast bullet loads barely break the 950 fps. range in all my rifles,plus lead and suppressors don't work well together. They are useful if you want to quiet the report down further and are using jacketed bullets. For the sake of discussion without getting into lots of detail shooting pistol velocity loads with shotgun/pistol powders in rifles longer barrel basically acts as the suppressor absorbing both the bullets velocity due to friction and pressure decreasing more rapidly in the longer barrel,this also cools the hot gases as they expand and decline more rapidly in the longer barrel rifle.

Powder wise I use fast to med-fast burning shotgun/pistol powders these can be used in low volume with many 30 cal. rifles calibers with a a variety of bullet weights. They also ignite very easily and require no filler as long as you work within the safe load density range. The real problem of detonation or SEE Secondary Explosive Effect and most notable Hangfire comes when you go below a safe load density with a given powder.

For all my sub-sonic load in 7.62 x 39 and 54r,30-30 and 300 Sav. I use one bullet and one powder this bullet as well as the powder can also be use in 06 and 308 cartridges with equal results. For powder In all these cartridge case I use Bullseye it readily ignites with no issues in large capacity cases with standard or magnum primers if you so desire to use those,these loads need no filler. For the x39,case you can start at 2.7 grs. and go up to 3.0 grs. in all the other cases mentioned you can start with 3.0 grs. and go up to 3.5 grs. these are not max load but leading may become an issue if you push them over the 1K fps. range since I cast my bullets from pure lead. I get excellent results in the X39 using the 3.0 gr. load and 3.5 grs. in all the rest.

My bullet of choice is the Lee 32 cal. .314 90 gr. tumble lube SWC,bullets can be cast from pure lead with a little tin added if you like or cast them from 50/50 Lead/WW alloy. In the X39 and 54r my rifles like a .314 dia. bullet. I TL once run it through the Lee .314 sizer and TL once more before loading,for the 308 cal. rifles I use the same procedure as above but size the bullets to .311 in my Lee sizer. All bullets are roll crimped in the top lube groove. If you don't cast and a .314. dia. lead bullet will be useful Hornady makes a swadged 32 cal. .314' bullet that may work for you.

Here is an example of my 30-30 subsonic load using said bullet and powder and Win. LR primer.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #18

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

This is what I have discovered about reloading for the 7.62x54r. First you can't reliably use brass fired by other Mosin Nagants. They are not perfectly chambered so the shoulders of the used brass may be damaged. There are few perfect bullets. The bore of the Mosin Nagant is cut to .311. There are only a few bullets out there that are made to fit the bore. Some people use ballistic tip .308 bullets. I don't see the point of using an expensive bullet that is going to rattle or slide down the barrel. Why not buy Brown/Silver Bear ammo for $70 (includes shipping) for 120 rounds of 203gr SP ammo? If your mosin nagant will not shoot brown bear ammo accurately the barrel is nasty or worn out.

As far as loading sub sonic ammo I don't see the point. I already have a 22 LR and ammo is lot cheaper than just the primers for any centerfire round. I know everyone wants experiment. But I try to do experiments that haven't been done or there is reason to doubt the conclusion that others have drawn. I have no reason to doubt that loading sub sonic ammo for a centerfire rifle has no practical use that can't be duplicated by another weapon in my arsenal much more cheaply.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-06-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #19

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Ive never had a problem with used x54 brass shot out of a Mosin.. I dont get why everybody says theirs no choice in bullets for the Mosin.. It takes the same ones as the .303/7.7.. (.303 is a popular hunting round, I never hear the Enfield people complain about bullet selection?)

I hear RL-15 is a awesome powder for the x54.. I want to see how it compares to IMR-4895, let you know how that goes.

I wouldnt mind playing around with subsonic rounds for my T38 Arisaka, I have read the Japanese in WWII issued their snipers subsonic ammo and out of the longer T38 (T97) their was no muzzle flash, and a quieter report. (Just wanna see if thats true or not...)

Old 11-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #20

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Ive never had a problem with used x54 brass shot out of a Mosin.. I dont get why everybody says theirs no choice in bullets for the Mosin.. It takes the same ones as the .303/7.7.. (.303 is a popular hunting round, I never hear the Enfield people complain about bullet selection?)

I hear RL-15 is a awesome powder for the x54.. I want to see how it compares to IMR-4895, let you know how that goes.

I wouldnt mind playing around with subsonic rounds for my T38 Arisaka, I have read the Japanese in WWII issued their snipers subsonic ammo and out of the longer T38 (T97) their was no muzzle flash, and a quieter report. (Just wanna see if thats true or not...)
My brother owns an Arisaka he inherited from my grandfather. The Arisaka was a war prize my Grandfather brought home from Korea. It has a long barrel similar to a Mosin Nagant and no it doesn't make a huge muzzle flash with factory ammo. With a subsonic load and the proper powder it will have no flash. The report I have my doubts. We all shoot subsonic pistol ammo in our 9mm. Its just as loud as the hypersonic 115 gr ammo, even when fired from a carbine with a 16" barrel.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/