Reloading - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4050 Times on 2079 Posts
Likes Given: 505

I have a Dillon RL-450, an RCBS single stage press, a Lyman 450 lubrisizer (for cast bullets), a Mec 600 Jr (for shotgun) and a Magma Sizemaster for rimless pistol cases.

Yes, I have NO color scheme to my bench. Red, Orange, Blue and Green.

The Dillon will load ammo just as accurate as a single stage press. It just depends on how valuable your time is. With a good progressive (like the Dillon) you spend far less time loading and more time shooting.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22395 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoottohit1 View Post
I'd like advice on what brand of reloading equipment y'all recommend. Or really any advice possible
i've got an assortment of brands on reloading equipment. i with robo on his brand suggestions. i have an older RCBS single stage press my father gave me that he bought in 1970 plus some of the dies and scale. i added a Frankford Arsenal digital scale to y equipment. i do have some Lee equipment, some of it is very good and reasonable in price. i bought a Lee Perfect Powder measure that was a waste of $18! but i use Lee dies and am very happy with them. if you are doing more precision type target shooting, i would suggest a good single stage press. good reloading equipment will last the life of the reloader if taken care of. some of mine is over 40 years old and still looks and works great. another suggestion, buy a complete kit, it will save you some over buying components separately. check out Midway and MidSouth Shooters Supply, they have great prices and fast shipping.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #13

I use lee and so good so far

Old 10-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 12830 Times on 5484 Posts
Likes Given: 2097

May I suggest that the FIRST thing you buy is a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. Read thru that before you buy anything.

Dies share a common thread, so you can use RCBS dies in a Lee press, etc. You might also shop for used equipment (fleabay) as it is just about impossible to wear out a carbide die. But read da book FIRST.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4050 Times on 2079 Posts
Likes Given: 505

^^^ What he said!!

Old 10-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #16
fmj

Liked 755 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
i bought a Lee Perfect Powder measure that was a waste of $18!
Why do you dislike this piece of equipment? I ask as i have one screwed to my bench and am curious to hear your thoughts.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Why do you dislike this piece of equipment? I ask as i have one screwed to my bench and am curious to hear your thoughts.
for some reason it will not throw the same charge every time. i have tried different powders and still no luck. i just use it now to throw the main bulk of the charge and use a trickler to get the final reading.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #18
fmj

Liked 755 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
for some reason it will not throw the same charge every time. i have tried different powders and still no luck. i just use it now to throw the main bulk of the charge and use a trickler to get the final reading.
Welll thats two of us...

This is why i weigh EVERY charge...that thing can be 3-4 tenths of a grain high or low in subsequent throws.

Do other powder measures throw a consistent charge EVERY time? Or is this something all powder measures do?

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I have been having issues too. I get mine to throw out about 8 or 9 dead on readings. For my range pistol ammo I weigh every 5th charge. Rifle ammo I weigh every charge.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #20

i second the measuring twice. i like a consistent charge on my loads, just trying to make my rounds as accurate as possible. i use the powder measure to throw the bulk of the charge, and use a trickler to sneak up to the disired amount. i guess if i had spent a lot more on another brand i would probably be able to throw the same charge everytime. but maybe later on, this method works for now, because most of my reloading is for rifle cartridges. don't get me wrong, Lee does make some very good items, as i use many Lee die sets that work great.