Reloading 45 ACP Suggestions?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading 45 ACP Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default Reloading 45 ACP Suggestions?

I realize there is A LOT of material that I am about to start reading to get more informed on equipment I will need to being reloading my own 45 ammo BUT someone could save me a lot of time and money by suggesting possible kits that have everything I will need so I can go ahead and buy now while prices are climbing even though I will be waiting to begin reloading until after reading and learning everything I need to do this safely and precisely. I would be interesting in suggestions for EVERYTHING including press kits, powder, brass... everything.

Thanks so much for understanding why I want to buy now. Ammo is being dried up I believe not only because lawful gun owners are buying it up but I believe anti-gun and possibly the gov't are drying up the supply... I could be wrong about that but it seems that way. I also assume the price for reloading equipment and supplies are going up fast too but I don't know about that either being new to it. Thanks again folks!

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Well,one thing you can do is get on E-Bay and educate yourself,"realtime".

I don't buy much on there anymore?But,we still use it for realtime data on what things are going for.So,get on there and see what different "makes" of equip is bringing?And in general learning some of the differences in models.

Without trying to open a bigazz can of worms....reloading co's aren't immune from the whole "offshoring" issue that other manufacturer's have been faced with.So some of the once VERY PROUD,U.S. co's have gone to China.It's an extremely deep subject,getting one's panty's in a wad over it isn't the *answer.

I usually recomend used equip.But thats always been in "normal" mkts.As you've mentioned,reloading equip is increasing in priace along with most everything else in the shooting sports.Go check E-bay for pricing,then try hittin up local sources for used equip.Good luck.

*Noting....as has been posted on Firearmstalk before,making a press yourself has some benny's.And it's a very good way of fighting back against the Chinese.You are infact beating them.Not the only way,but...one way.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #3

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

Lee is a good press for beginner or advanced and Lee Precision products are cast, machined and assembled in the USA.

Last edited by beaglesam; 03-17-2013 at 11:09 AM.
ryevick Likes This 
Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1709 Times on 741 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

I would start with a single stage press kit. I started with the RCBS Rock Chucker master kit long ago but Hornady makes some good stuff and a lot of guys on here use Lee. They both make kits as well.
As far as components for a 45 I have used a number of different cases by different manufacturers mostly Remington and Starline and have not had problem's with any of it. As far as bullets I had been using Hornady XTP's in 44's for years and see no reason to change. They are my bullet of choice for pressure loads but for plinking and target shooting I use copper coated or lead. Which ever I can pick up at a good price. For powders I am using Unigue for pressure loads and Titegroup for plinking. As soon as I can find some Ram Shot Silohette I am going to give that a shot(no pun intended).Primers I use mostly CCI and Federal. Pick up the " ABC's of reloading" And at least a couple of manuals. You can never have to many manuals. Happy handloading!!!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Well I have been looking at the Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit... as well as the Lee 50th Anniversary Breech Lock Challenger Kit but can't don't know enough to tell the difference between them... seems they both have high reviews but not as many for the 50th Anniversary kit. I've read some people say to buy everything separate and I guess that might be a good idea but I'd need a parts list. I know the press seems to be well received, I suppose the only thing in this kit that they really mean to swap out is the scale to a digital scale but I don't know. I've also read I need a set of calipers and I just happen to have a new set, so that's covered.

I mentioned wanting to load 45 ammo but I would also like to load 380 ammo... I don't suppose shotgun ammo can be reloaded (I am a newbie remember) but if it could 12 ga reloading would be cool. Thoughts?

Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit
http://youtu.be/Ut_I1GMm_c4
Lee 50th Anniversary Breech Lock Challenger Kit
http://youtu.be/RQNz2ie5H5U

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Last edited by ryevick; 03-17-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5717 Times on 3232 Posts
Likes Given: 5148

You can certainly load ammo with LEE equipment.

But unless you're strapped for cash, I'd recommend a Redding "Boss" press, Redding dies and powder measure.

A good balance scale made by Ohaus scale company. RCBS and several others sell Ohaus scales under their own name.

Get and read "The ABCs of Reloading" and a good manual like the Lyman, speer or Hornady.

Now, having said all that, if all you want to load is pistol ammo, and you have a few spare bucks, take a hard look at the Dillon Square Deal machine.

www.dillonprecision.com

Winston Churchill

Old 03-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post

But unless you're strapped for cash, I'd recommend a Redding "Boss" press, Redding dies and powder measure.

A good balance scale made by Ohaus scale company. RCBS and several others sell Ohaus scales under their own name.

Get and read "The ABCs of Reloading" and a good manual like the Lyman, speer or Hornady.

Now, having said all that, if all you want to load is pistol ammo, and you have a few spare bucks, take a hard look at the Dillon Square Deal machine.

www.dillonprecision.com
I haven't really calculated a budget yet but as long as I can get EVERYTHING for under $400-$500 (preferably under $400) I would probably be OK... that means EVERYTHING though including powder, primers, bullets and brass. I haven't priced out that stuff yet though... still a lot of looking to do online.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5717 Times on 3232 Posts
Likes Given: 5148

the Redding Boss is $135 at Midway. The big Boss 11 is 190.

www.midwayusa.com

Winston Churchill

Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post

What advantage is there to the Redding over LEE?

Manual? The "The ABCs of Reloading" I assume is a guide and the press will have it's manual obviously... not sure what you are referring to, please explain.

Last edited by ryevick; 03-18-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #10

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts

I went the total opposite and got myself a Dillion 650 xl. That thing is awesome now if I could just get small pistol primers so it isn't just holding my bench down.....got to do just enough reloading to get my feet wet and ran out of primers.