Reloading For 45/70 Government - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading For 45/70 Government

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8282 Times on 4787 Posts
Likes Given: 10713

Just got off the phone with the smith, picked up the rifle yesterday and he had already left for the day. Anyhow, he was unable to remove the fore end cap and so could not remove the magazine and clean it thoroughly because he was afraid of damaging it but he was certain that it was going to be OK judging from the condition of the rest of the gun. He couldn't stop saying how impressed he is with it, he said he would love to own it himself. He has some websites that deal specifically with the older Winchesters and cowboy action he is going to email me when he gets home, said it would be a great pig gun once I get a load worked up for it. It is, in his words, in "unbelievably excellent condition".

I do believe that I now have a new favorite gun- pending some range time with it. I'll keep you posted.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Any one who likes fine vintage firearms wants to own an orginal Mdl.1886. The one you have is a special order not just off the shelf. Were you able to remove the magazine cap screw? You mentioned the forearm screw not a problem. Every man is allowed one fine dog and one good gun deal in a life time. You can now start looking for the dog.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Any one who likes fine vintage firearms wants to own an orginal Mdl.1886. The one you have is a special order not just off the shelf. Were you able to remove the magazine cap screw? You mentioned the forearm screw not a problem. Every man is allowed one fine dog and one good gun deal in a life time. You can now start looking for the dog.
I do own a couple of "vintage" guns (a 1903 and a Garand being the notable ones) but this is my first pre-1900 gun. I am indeed very fortunate to have come across it and even more so for the fact that it was within my reach financially. I could never afford it for what it is really worth. The smith was just absolutely taken by it and said he was hoping I would call him to talk about it. As I was picking it up two other customers came up and were risking damaging it what with all of their drooling. This definitely was one of my "dream guns".

I did ask the smith about it and he said he was afraid of either stripping it or that it has already been stripped and he didn't want to risk making it worse. I have not had the time to look at it myself yet out in the shop with my gunsmithing tools, magnifying glasses and all of that stuff. The way I understood it he could get the end cap off but could not remove the tube or the follower because the forestock screw passes through a slot in the mag tube and you have to rotate the mag tube to disengage it from the receiver. Or something like that.

I did pick up a can of Trail Boss today, and I dug out some of the bullets I have- but I didn't find the cast lead ones I was looking for to see what weight they are. The ones I pulled out are Speer 400 grain flat nose jacketed soft point, and Hornady #4502 350 grain round nose soft point jacketed. I have probably a dozen more different designs but those two were all I could pull out of where I have them stored. I will probably be able to look more tomorrow.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #14

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

No need to remove the magazine tube. Remove the magazine tube screw and cap under the rifles muzzle. Remove the spring and follower and clean the tube and follower and spring. If the tube is dented or the follower is dented tube dirty broken spring the magazine will stick.

If you shoot the rifles check the follower before you load the magazine. If the magazine fails to feed a loaded Ctg. you must be able to remove the magazine cap and spring and follower to unload the rifle.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #15

OK. Will do. Thanks.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5748 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 5186

A little trick I learned.

When charging powder, hold the case hard against your vibratory tumbler while trickling in the charge. vyou can get more powder in it that way.

Not important with smokeless, but it helps with black.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #17

Reviving this thread. In my bullet mold collection I found a Lyman 457193- casts a flat nose 405 grain bullet. Anybody have any loads for that bullet that I can fool around with? I know I have several other .458" molds in storage. I wish there was some sort of organization to my storage!

Old 12-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Ive got a few ill postsome later after ive fully gotten the day started.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

im using 48 grains of imr3031 under a 405 grain lead bullet coal 2.530. this is a great load in my marlin 1895gbl 16" barrel. recoil is pretty stiff in the short barrel. 49 grains is listed as max.

im using the complete reloading manual for the 45-70 http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23943/catid/11/The_Complete_Reloading_Manual_for_a__45_70

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5748 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
im using 48 grains of imr3031 under a 405 grain lead bullet coal 2.530. this is a great load in my marlin 1895gbl 16" barrel. recoil is pretty stiff in the short barrel. 49 grains is listed as max.

im using the complete reloading manual for the 45-70 http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23943/catid/11/The_Complete_Reloading_Manual_for_a__45_70

I've used 45 grains of 3031 under a 385 grain cast GC. A little easier on the shoulder.

Winston Churchill