Reloading .357 Sig

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading .357 Sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Reloading .357 Sig

HI all. New the the forums so excuse me in advance I'f I screw something up.
Long time rifle loader. I'm running a Dillon 550 and recently acquired a Sig 239 in .357 sig. Any insight into special techniques, tips or tricks for that cartridge would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts

I reloaded .357 sig for years and it was one of the best to work with. The bullets are cheap and reformed .40 brass works although I think it is a bit short.
The biggest bang is from Power Pistol powder. It works extremely well in this caliber (and many others for that matter) although it has a nice flash.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Did you load up close to max pressure? What bullet / powder combo gave you best results?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2989 Times on 1557 Posts
Likes Given: 277

I load .357 Sig on a Dillon RL-550. Keep in mind while it appears to be a necked down .40 S&W doing so will potentially give you leadspace issues. The Sig round is designed to headspace off the mouth (like most other auto pistol cartridges) rather than the shoulder (like a rifle). You can probably force it to headspace of the shoulder, maybe. I have found brass to be plentiful as I am close to TX DPS headquarters and they are probably the single biggest user of the caliber. I load 124 gr flat points and HP's to about 1350 and 125 gr HARD cast flatpoints to about 1200. As long as you bump the shoulder a bit, you can get good reliability in a wide variety of guns.

The dies are generally non-carbide so the cases must be lubed. I size with a .40 carbide die and then size dry with the Sig die and have no sticking issues as all I am doing with the steel Sig die is neck sizing and bumping the shoulder. Most .40 decappers will stick in the flash hole so I decap with the Sig die. The flash holes are smaller than the .40 presumably to handle the higher pressures.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks. I'll setup the dies and tool holder today and see how it goes. I have plenty of once fired and I sprung for the carbide. Should be an interesting learning experience. The only other pistol rounds I've loaded have been straight wall /45acp. Never too old to learn something though.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Found some time to dial in the new dies and get the seating right. I'm using once fired 357 sig cases and the dillon carbide die set. Took a little tweaking but seems like everything is setup safely. The dilon die neck sizes so after trimming all the brass to a consistent length, I ran half a dozen through the press and didn't have any problems with decapping or sizing. I did everything to make a round except dropping the powder and the end resulting round cycles through my p239 with no problems. I'll work up some real loads tomorrow and run them through the chrono and see which mix gives me the best groups. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Belltactical; 01-24-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ran off about 75 rounds with different powers/loads and bullets based on suggestions from a bunch of people who load is round regularly. . Out of 6, the best groups I attained from a bag rest were with 115g Hornaday JHP over 7.6g bullseye. Clocked in at an average of 1354. Tightest groups but I didn't bother to measure them. I have the dillon dialed in so I plan to run off 200 rounds and spend some time at the range this weekend. Very nice round to shoot, better than expected accuracy from the shorter p239 barrel and recoil/back on target time was completely acceptable. my carry gun is and always be a 45 but my backup is a sig232 which is just a little smaller thank the 239 and if I cut the edges on it, I might be tempted to switch to the 357. No idea of the terminal ballistics are with this load combo at this point so if anyone knows or has a better recipe, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks for the response and the advice on resizing the 40's.

Last edited by Belltactical; 01-27-2012 at 01:03 AM.