Reloading 357 Mag? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading 357 Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 02:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2145 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 1390

I cast a .358 147 grain semi-wadcutter with wheel weight metal. I push them well over 1000 fps with no leading. I also cast a 240 grain .429 to over 1000 fps. Again with little to no leading. The main thing you want to worry about is a tight fit between bullet and barrel. A good bullet lube is also needed.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
People Like This 
Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2873 Times on 1579 Posts
Likes Given: 810

You might want to check into Berry and Rainier copper plated bullets. They on the soft side but are copper plated. I recently put up a bunch of max load 38 spl with the Berry 125 hp and they are working quite well even in the rifle. They are not +P although I have loaded some at +P max and they did ok. They are fully encapsulated so you are not handling lead.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 10-23-2013, 03:42 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3371 Times on 1744 Posts
Likes Given: 354

If you are reloading, you are handling lead. The lead residue from the primer is just as hazardous as handling cast bullets. Wash your hands thoroughly after hanling fired brass, bullets, primers, cleaning your guns, etc and you will not have any worry.

I have been casting bullets, loading same and shooting them for nealy 30 years. I get my lead levels checked anually. My lead level is actually down 2 points in the last couple of years. My high was 6. Doctors don't even bat an eye at any level under 20. They start treatment at 30.
People Like This 
Old 10-23-2013, 03:48 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I cast a .358 147 grain semi-wadcutter with wheel weight metal. I push them well over 1000 fps with no leading. I also cast a 240 grain .429 to over 1000 fps. Again with little to no leading. The main thing you want to worry about is a tight fit between bullet and barrel. A good bullet lube is also needed.
I have not had the best luck with WW in my .357 mag; not saying it cannot
be done just my experience. However, my .45ACP does very will with WW
cast bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
You might want to check into Berry and Rainier copper plated bullets. They on the soft side but are copper plated. I recently put up a bunch of max load 38 spl with the Berry 125 hp and they are working quite well even in the rifle. They are not +P although I have loaded some at +P max and they did ok. They are fully encapsulated so you are not handling lead.
I had trouble with the plating separating just above the case mouth, and
creating head space issue on my .45ACP, have not tried them with .357 mag.
I was seating and crimping in separate operations. The separation was with
the bullet seating operation.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 10-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #15

Liked 2145 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 1390

I think a lot of reloaders don't realize how much better off they would be if they casted their own bullets. The only things I buy are powder and primer. I buy lead at the recycling center. You can buy a 2 cavity mold for less than the price of one box of bullets. I have heard of guys melting lead in a sauce pan on a coleman stove in the back yard. I started with a $20 melting pot.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
People Like This 
Old 10-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #16

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=5&secondary=10

TWW, I reload a lot of .357 mag, using these bullets, with no problems.
I load some hot, and sone low for the kids.

Goodprices and right hardness.

Jim
I also have used Missouri bullets. With a Brinell 18 hardness they are good for most .357 loads and they are priced right.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #17

Liked 93 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I'm wanting to start reloading 357 Mag to lower the cost of it, and make it easier for me to get.

All I'm wanting is a decent cheap round for practice. I may want to load it hot every once in a while, but for the most part they will be loaded to normal levels. The max distance I would be shooting at is about 25 yards.

Thanks.

TXww, Here's how I solved that issue:

My 357M does triple duty:
Personal Defense - Factory HPs
Fishing and woods carry - couple of snake shot + some of the factory above
Practice/Targets - My reloads

Picked up a couple of boxes of 158 Federal HyS and a box of the Rainier 125 platted bullets. Loaded a ladder of the platted bullets with green dot - I already had this powder in quantity for my shotguns and it provided a wide range of veloicty in 357M loads.

Used a rest and shot'em over a chrony. At 25yds got the sights adjusted for the 158 HyS. Replaced the target and shot a group of 5 HyS to center of this new target. Then shot the ladder of 125 reloads on this same target. Picked the powder load that shot to the same POA as the factory.

Now use that reload for low cost practice/targets as it shoots to the same POA as my PD factory load.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #18
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
I'm wanting to start reloading 357 Mag to lower the cost of it, and make it easier for me to get.

I had a question about the bullets though. Will cast lead cause serious leading problems, or are they fine for 357?

How are these bullets. They are kind of funky looking, but the price is really good.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/419842/hornady-bullets-38-caliber-358-diameter-158-grain-lead-semi-wadcutter-hollow-point-box-of-300

I also found these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/640016/hornady-bullets-38-caliber-358-diameter-140-grain-lead-flat-nose-box-of-350

All I'm wanting is a decent cheap round for practice. I may want to load it hot every once in a while, but for the most part they will be loaded to normal levels. The max distance I would be shooting at is about 25 yards.

Thanks.
Not to foul up a project, but you should be prepared to take 50 yd. shots.........

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 10-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

For anyone interested, I buy my bullets currently from SNS casting. They are very good quality for my purposes, and extremely reasonably priced.

http://www.snscasting.com/38spl/

These are the specific ones I use:

http://www.snscasting.com/38-125-gr-rn-38_125rn/

They can be triple purpose. .357 Magnum, .38 Special, and 9mm. I reload them all. No problems as a result of the bullets.

I plan on smelting my own bullets in the future, though.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I plan on smelting my own bullets in the future, though.
Sorry for being anally retentive...

Smelting is the process of converting raw ore into usable metal.

You will be casting.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy