You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Reloading .308 on Lee Classic Turret mentor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1682 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post
If you're going to seperate the steps like that, then a progressive or turret press would be a waste. You might as well use a single stage. If a progressive or turret press can't be relied on to complete ALL of the necessary steps, including priming and dispensing powder, then why would anyone want to use it?
Is everything you type NEGATIVE?
If you can't help the OP with his questions,then do everyone else a favor,and not reply at all.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #12

Liked 1682 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian22 View Post
Ok questions I still have:

I do not have the equipment yet but here is my 'shopping list':

Lee Classic 4-hole turret kit (with pro auto disk, scale, case prep, case trimmer, and safety prime)
Lee powder funnel
Lee perfect powder measure
Lee Auto-Disk adjustable powder charge bar
Frankford arsenal SS Dial caliper
Frankford arsenal Bullet puller
Two extra turrets
Lee deluxe 3-die set 308
Lee factory crimp die 308
Lee case gage and shell holder 308
Lee carbide 3-die set 32S&W long
Lee case gage and shell holder 32
Lee deluxe carbide 4 die set 9mm
Lee case gage and shell holder 9mm
The Classic Turret press is a good press.
The auto disk will work OK on pistol loads,but really is more trouble than it's worth.
The Perfect powder measure isn't perfect,or anywhere close.You can get a used RCBS Uniflow off Ebay pretty cheap,and they work great
Also look for a used quality beam scale like a RCBS 505 on ebay,the Lee scale works,but is a PIA..
Get a loading block,they're cheap,to load your powder charges into your cases.
You also need to get a couple Load data books,all of the Powder and Bullet mfg's publish them,and several have online load data info.
That will give you all of the load info that you need to load-Powder type,Primer type,Powder charges/min-max,OAL for each bullet/cartridge.

This site has some very good prices on Lee stuff.
https://fsreloading.com/lee-classic-turret-press-90064.html

Also check with Natchez-Mid South Shooters Supply. Sometimes you can find lower prices on the same items at different places.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Is everything you type NEGATIVE?
If you can't help the OP with his questions,then do everyone else a favor,and not reply at all.
Not at all. I'm not judging you or what you do. It was a sincere question. By your own admittance, the Lee primer and powder feeds do not work well and you seperate these steps and perform them outside the press. (I did too). So basically you are using a press body to hold dies. That is the same thing I had to do with my Lee press. I tired quickly of it and upgraded to a Dillon and never looked back. Under the circumstances, would a single stage press not be better suited for the task at hand??? It would do the same thing and cost less. Why pay extra for non working parts? Is that point not helpful to the OP?

My Lee was given to me and then I gave it away. The person I gave it to then bought a Dillon. There is a reason. Whether Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, etc, there are several setups out there that work better than Lee. The primer feeds work, the powder feeds work, and they're consistent. Is that point not helpful to the OP?

The OP is looking for a press to purchase if I read correctly. You, me, and several others have already determined that certain parts of the Lee press suck. Let's just be honest about it. Therefore, I recommend either a single stage or a better quality turret/progressive. Wouldn't you?

If the Lee press is what you have, and you're able to seperate priming and powder charging to outside of the press. That can work. If you don't want to spend more money to upgrade to something that can accomplish everything, that's fine too. But given the fact that the primer feeder and powder feeder are not up to par, would you really recommend this type of set up to a new reloader? Especially considering that if they buy the Lee, then they're going to have to also buy an additional priming tool and powder dispenser on top of the press kit purchase.

My past experience and your current experience with Lee are both saying the same thing here.

Whether the parts are bought in a kit or seperately, they need to work. Don't make the mistake I did buying junk the first time and then having to buy additional equipment afterwards. A new reloader does not have to spend a fortune up front for top of the line stuff. But the stuff they do buy needs to work properly. Why buy it twice?

And for the record, I'm not a Lee basher. I own and use several sets of Lee dies and miscellaneous equipment. As long as that equipment does not have to dispense anything (cases, primers, powder, bullets) it will be fine. Dies, shell holders, loading blocks, single stage presses, and things of that nature from Lee will work just fine for you.

Last edited by ryguy00; 08-03-2012 at 03:19 AM.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #14

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Anyone else able to address some of my other questions?

Crimping advantages and disadvantages?
Crimping when seating or separate (with a FCD)?
Crimping without a cannelure?
.308 rifle powder that meters well in the perfect powder?
9mm / .32s&w long powder that will meter well in the auto-disk?
Is the adjustable powder bar helpful / worth it?

Thanks for any further help!
tiberius10721 Likes This 
Old 08-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #15

Liked 1384 Times on 876 Posts
Likes Given: 813

if using in a semi auto crimping should be done to help avoid the bullet getting pushed farther into the case during loading. the die is more personal choice. it can be done either way
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian22 View Post
Anyone else able to address some of my other questions?

Crimping advantages and disadvantages?
Crimping when seating or separate (with a FCD)?
Crimping without a cannelure?
.308 rifle powder that meters well in the perfect powder?
9mm / .32s&w long powder that will meter well in the auto-disk?
Is the adjustable powder bar helpful / worth it?

Thanks for any further help!
crimping needs to be done to hold the bullet where it's supposed to be throughout loading, feeding, and recoil from other rounds. Crimping is good. However, that does NOT mean you have to crank it down tight. If you do, you will deform the bullet. Even a slightly deformed bullet will make your accuracy go to hell. When you are reloading, one particular step of the process is to flare the mouth of the case to be able to get the bullet started. This is a very slight flare. Anything more is just shortening the life of your brass. It should flare enough that you can just barely feel the flare with your fingers when running them along the side of the case. When you crimp, you really only want to be straightening that flare back out. If you absolutely need a tight crimp you can crimp it .001-.002 tighter than the case body. That should be plenty. Revolvers typically use a roll crimp which is different. I do not crimp my rifle cartridges. There is enough tension in the neck after resizing to hold the bullet where it needs to be since rifle cartridges do not get flared.

Crimping during seating works just fine as long as the mouth of the case is free from burrs, the flare is correct, and the crimp is set up correctly. If your crimp is too tight, again, it will deform the bullet. If your crimp is too tight AND you seat and crimp in one step, then you will see shavings from the bullet that have been scraped off by the case mouth. This is not what you want to see. If you see it, back off your crimp. Theoretically, seating and crimping in separate steps allows the bullet to be seated before there is pressure (crimp) on it. That allows the bullet to be seated without being scraped by the case mouth. Again, if your flare is correct, and your crimp die is adjusted correctly, this will not be an issue anyways.

Factory crimp die. I've never used one. I've loaded 10's of thousands of rounds in my life and never used one. I'm sure they work and work well but I can't weigh in here because I have no experience with them. I'm not sure who would need one, but I can say for me, they're not necessary.

Crimping without a cannelure: Works just fine. Not all bullets have them and can be crimped just fine without them. If you are loading for a rifle and the bullets do have cannelures, you may find that the seat depth that works for your rifle does not land on the cannelure anyways. No biggie.

.308 powder that works in the perfect powder measure: Stay away from extruded powders if you can. Those are the cylindrical shaped kernel powders that look like tiny little tubes. Also called "stick powder". They do not work well through lee or any other powder measure from other manufacturers that I'm aware of. They are just tough to dispense consistently. Some extruded powders are available in shortened kernels which helps slightly. Flake powders dispense pretty well. Ball powders dispense the best. The best method with a powder dispenser such as the lee perfect powder measure is to set the charge about a half grain lower than you want it. Throw that charge into your little powder loading pan and set it on your scale. Then use a trickler to dispense that last half grain to get it up to where you need it. With a little practice, it can be done MUCH faster than you would expect. The perfect powder measure itself may not be consistent enough (depending on the powder being used) to reliably throw an exact charge. And depending on powder being used, neither is my dillon.

Auto disc: I never was able to get my auto disk to work with any degree of accuracy or consistency. Not even with the adjustable powder bar. By design it just sucks. Skip those parts and select them from a better quality manufacturer if you can.

Last edited by ryguy00; 08-03-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Since you would be loading for use in a bolt action, the .308 Factory Crimp Die would not be needed. They are handy for rounds used in lever and autoloading actions, which are rougher in their feed cycle and could potentially push a bullet deeper into the case during feeding. The standard seating die will be fine.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

ryguy00,
the guy asked about a classic cast turret...a dedicated progressive would be faster for quantity loading, but changeovers in my square deal b's and 550 take time, so i use them only for runs of 100 or more.

time saving using a turret over a single-stage the way i described: put an empty in the shell holder, work ram, turn turret, work ram again. saves removing the case and later putting it back in for the second step...doesn't seem like much, but it adds up. if i miss a step, like not belling a pistol case...generally found when the powder is in the case and bullet is ready to be seated, i back up the turret and fix the problem without even dumping the powder; with a single-stage i'd be changing dies back and forth, etc.

with lee's turrets, dies are pre-set in removable turrets, so changeovers require seconds...which is why the cct is my go-to press...most of my reloading is for 40-100 rds, not enough to crank up one of my dillons.

my comments regarding lee's auto-prime, powder measures and scales were based on experience...good designs, but poor execution imo.

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

Old 08-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

centurian22,
volumetric powder measures like ball and flake powders...for the .308 that would be ww748, h335 or equivalent surplus (wc844?). for the 9mm or s&w .32 long accurate arms #2, #5, bullseye, ww231 and hp38 meter and work well...

save yourself grief and do as txhillbilly says: get an rcbs uniflow and a good ohaus/rcbs/lyman scale on e-bay.

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

Old 08-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #20

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For non magnum pistol cartridges I use the Lee disk system with powders like bullseye ,tightgroup and hp-38. Every powder drop is within a tenth of a grain. For everything else I use my rcbs chargemaster 1500. A little pricey but totally worth it. My first and only press I own is my lee 4 hole turret press that I bought in 1998. As far as priming my brass I won't use anything else other than the lee hand priming tool. Its an extra step but well worth it. So far I have reloaded at least 30000 plus rounds with my lee turret press so I would say it has been well worth the money I paid for it. I will admit that lee does make some flimsy stuff though which I have never understood because us customers usually do not mind spending a few extra dollars for a quality product.