Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Reloading 30-30? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloading-30-30-a-90953/)

JW357 05-20-2013 02:28 AM

Reloading 30-30?
 
Hey all,

I bought a Winchester model 94 in 30-30 a few days ago. (Can't post pictures of it yet since Kalifornia has a silly 10 day waiting period).

I currently have a Hornady Progressive AP loader. I'm not sure how much I'll shoot the rifle to be perfectly honest. I definitely will sometimes, but prolly not in high volume until sometime next year. So lets rule the speed of the progressive vs hand loading issue out for now. My question is this: would it be more cost effective to just buy a set of dies for my progressive press (as well as a new powder measure specific for that caliber) or buy one of those caliber specific reloading kits (something like http://www.midwayusa.com/product/543039/lee-classic-loader-30-30-winchesterthis)?

Also, I heard 30-30 shouldn't be handloaded with a kit like that. Is there any truth to that?

DrumJunkie 05-20-2013 02:55 AM

There's a 10 day waiting period to post pics from Cali? That is silly
Not sure about the reloading from a lee press though...Never heard anything like that.

JW357 05-20-2013 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
There's a 10 day waiting period to post pics from Cali? That is silly

Most of the laws in this state are silly.

Especially the one about the 10 day waiting period before you can bring a gun that you've bought home from the store. That's almost as silly as not being able to post pics for ten days!

DrumJunkie 05-20-2013 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWSchramm (Post 1252148)
Most of the laws in this state are silly.

Especially the one about the 10 day waiting period before you can bring a gun that you've bought home from the store. That's almost as silly as not being able to post pics for ten days!

I must agree....I can't see where to solves anything. Any rational killer would not want to use a gun wit ha paper trail anyway. That's what flea markets and the black market are for. And usually guns are cheaper in these venues anyway.

I sent a text to a friend of mine about the reloading for a 30 30. He's a bit more savvy about things like that. I've reloaded for my 30 30 (also a Win 94) but it was a different type of press. Honestly though I can't see where it would make a difference. As long as the rounds are within spec I just can't see an issue.

nitestalker 05-20-2013 04:55 AM

Can not imagine a "Cowboy" having to wait 10 days for a saddle rifle. Wow! that means you would have to wait a year for a new horse.

The 30-30 is a great rifle for loading hard cast bullets. These are not for hunting but great for plinking and paper targets.:)

c3shooter 05-20-2013 09:26 AM

What you depicted is a "stand alone" no press needed no frills fit in your backpack reloading system. You use a plastic mallet to drive a cartridge case into the dies, use mallet and rod to drive out, necks sizes only.

They DO work. They WILL reload safe to shoot ammo. They ARE a PITA to use. Happen to have a couple on oddball calibers that I may shoot 20 rounds in a decade.

You already have a press? Try these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEE-RGB-2-DIE-SET-30-30-WINCHESTER-90878-/330917115623#ht_243wt_1211

res45 05-20-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

The 30-30 is a great rifle for loading hard cast bullets. These are not for hunting but great for plinking and paper targets.
I'm guessing your talking about for hunting in CA since they have the lead ammo band is some areas. In general though you can hunt anything with cast bullets that you hunt with jacketed bullets.

The 30-30 was made for shooting cast lead,I shoot loads for small game and plinking with 90 gr. SWC at 1K fps. up to 170 gr. RNFP at 2100 fps. for larger game.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?22-Hunting-with-CB-s&

-06 05-20-2013 11:13 AM

30/30s are great rounds and easy to load--even with a "whack-ah-moley" rig. I still have mine. Try the new Hornady boolits. They have a polymer tip that give superior ballistics over the flat nosed ones.

JW357 05-20-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1252278)
What you depicted is a "stand alone" no press needed no frills fit in your backpack reloading system. You use a plastic mallet to drive a cartridge case into the dies, use mallet and rod to drive out, necks sizes only.

They DO work. They WILL reload safe to shoot ammo. They ARE a PITA to use. Happen to have a couple on oddball calibers that I may shoot 20 rounds in a decade.

You already have a press? Try these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEE-RGB-2-DIE-SET-30-30-WINCHESTER-90878-/330917115623#ht_243wt_1211

Interesting. I haven't yet tried mixing and matching dies in my press. Always kept it the same due to simplicity. Will Lee dies work in my Hornady press? I assume all I need is a bushing (or whatever that locking ring is called), but like I said I haven't tried it yet.

locutus 05-25-2013 01:55 PM

Use your press. The LEE loader is an excellent little tool for the one box per year hunter, but it is a PITA.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:46 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.