Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading 223 bullet question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Reloading 223 bullet question

I'm new to reloading and still trying to figure everything out, and before anyone says anything I am currently waiting for my reloading manual to come in the mail.. In the mean time I'm doing research. My question is, I am using hodgon bl-c(2) powder and want to know if I can use any 223 bullet or can If i can only use what hodgon recommends. Sorry for the noob question just can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

Bullet choice has alot to do with rifle and barrel. You will have to get some data and load according to bullet weight (to start with) and if you are shooting out of an AR platform you cannot use some of the heavier bullets unless you want to single shoot it.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #3

Liked 495 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 244

You can use data of same weight bullet of similar construction from different manufacturers , just start your load development at "Start" charge and work up.

BTW, do not use .223 bullets in the 223 Rem. cartridge, the proper bullet for the 223 is .224 inches.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5075 Times on 2887 Posts
Likes Given: 4239

If the manual lists, for example, a 55 grain hollow point, you can use the same data for a 55 grain FMJ or a 55 grain soft point.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
If the manual lists, for example, a 55 grain hollow point, you can use the same data for a 55 grain FMJ or a 55 grain soft point.
That's exactly what I was looking for. In hodgons website for my powder and a 55gr bullet (im thinking this will probley be best since i have 16 inch 1:8 twist barrel) they list I need a 55gr sfire bullet. They didn't have anything listed for a fmj, and thats what I prefer to start reloading with

Old 05-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19527 Times on 11083 Posts
Likes Given: 49157

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahlanier9 View Post
That's exactly what I was looking for. In hodgons website for my powder and a 55gr bullet (im thinking this will probley be best since i have 16 inch 1:8 twist barrel) they list I need a 55gr sfire bullet. They didn't have anything listed for a fmj, and thats what I prefer to start reloading with
a lot of reloading data books use their own bullets. but as Locutus said, the powder charge is pretty much dependent upon the weight of the bullet. there are exceptions to this such as going to full lead cast bullets. the powder charges can be somewhat different.

get a couple of different load data books and compare powder charges.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #7

Liked 495 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Quote:
This is what is meant by "same weight of similar construction". The Hodgdon data lists four(4) different 55gr bullet types. The SFIRE stands for "Sinterfire", a Frangible bullet and it's data differs from the standard jacketed bullets.

If you are going to load FMJ bullets you should use Hodgdon's data for a bullet of "similar construction" and that would be their 55gr SPR SP which stands for Speer Soft Point. Note the differences between the SFIRE data, the BARNES all copper data and the SP data.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Old 05-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 298 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
I have the same barrel and I run 62gr Speer FMJ. They shoot nicely and group a bit tighter than 55gr. I use 53-55gr Hornady in my bolt gun with a 1:12 twist. I load for both guns using Tac.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2550 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Remember, ANY change in component means you have to reduce and develop a new load!

Similar construct bullets can use the same data for LOAD DEVELOPMENT. Once you work up a load with (for example) a Hornaday 55 gr SP and you change to a 55 gr FMJ, you cannot just switch bullets and go (if you are at or very near a max load).

I have developed loads that are a grain or two under max loads and switch bullets w/o any problems.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball