Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading 12 gauge shells

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Reloading 12 gauge shells

I am wondering if anyone on here has ever used bullseye powder in shotgun shells? I have used it myself in the past. I was wondering if anyone has a mixture they use involving bullseye powder, winchester hulls, winchester primers, winchester with a seven eigths to one ounce load, claybuster wads with around an ounce and an eigth load. Or any other recipe will be appreciated that involves these components.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Do not claim to be God's gift to reloaders, but Bullseye is among the fastest burning pistol powders made. It is NOT listed as a shotgun powder by Alliant in their tables. Cannot help but feel you are courting disaster using that to drive an ounce of shot- shotguns operate at an order of magnitude difference of pressure. Red Dot, Green Dot, Clays, etc were made for shotshells. Bullseye was not.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #3

Liked 1073 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

I like Alliant Green Dot for, Trap & Birds.............

When all else fails.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #4

I have used Bullseye for light 12 gauge loads. I believe that it says right on the bottle that it can be used for light (3/4 and 7/8 ounce) 12 gauge loads. The loads I used worked fine. Just make sure you find some current data before you begin. Check out www.ballisticproducts.com I believe they have a book on various shotgun powders (bullseye included) and one on reduced 12 gauge loads.
cottontop

Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #5

Years ago I had all the info on Bullseye. It did list several loads for the shotgun including loads for an 1 1/8 loads. But since I have lost all of that in several moves. I havent done any reloading in a long time so I am trying to get back inot it.At the time I was reloading it was all I could find locally and the loading info I used kept the powder charges low and made them as close to Winchester super handicapped loads as possible.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"Or any other recipe will be appreciated that involves these components."

Be cautious. We can happily change book loads and components for metallic cartridges if we wish (and if we do it properly) but we cannot safely dork around with shotshell loads. IF you can find an authoritative source with data using Bullseye use it but stick with the exact list of other components. Shotguns are low pressure guns and do not have the reserve strength of metallic cartridge firearms. What may apppear to be small changes in shotshells can produce massive effects.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2578 Times on 1354 Posts
Likes Given: 197

My go to powder for 1 1/8 oz 12 ga general purpose loads is Red Dot.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball