Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Reloading

Where to start with wanting to start learning how to reload my ammo??? I see so many books on "reloading part 6" and such but still no direction

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2613 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Start with The ABC's Of Reloading or the Lyman's 49th edition. Read them cover to cover. It will explain 90% of the process

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

hiwall Likes This 
Old 11-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Excellent thanks

Old 11-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8448 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Another vote for what Robo said. Check Amazon for used copy.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #5

Liked 176 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Be aware that there are several books titled ABC's of reloading. I think the one that is favored here is by C. Rodney James. Amazon and Ebay would be good places to look. But do not stop there. Get copies of all the reloading manuals from the powder and bullet companies, too. There is no one manual that covers every type of ammo. Check out the used book stores and the gun shows for used copies. Take a look at the web sites for powder and bullet companies, too. There are some pretty good Youtube videos on setting up the press and doing the reloading.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
Be aware that there are several books titled ABC's of reloading. I think the one that is favored here is by C. Rodney James. Amazon and Ebay would be good places to look. But do not stop there. Get copies of all the reloading manuals from the powder and bullet companies, too. There is no one manual that covers every type of ammo. Check out the used book stores and the gun shows for used copies. Take a look at the web sites for powder and bullet companies, too. There are some pretty good Youtube videos on setting up the press and doing the reloading.
I agree with the ABC's of reloading, you can get a copy from your local
library, to read before you purchase. I am also a fan of Lee's reloading
manual.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 11-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #7

I have recently written a book about reloading titled "Cartridge Reloading in the Twenty-First Century" - Published by Skyhorse Publishing, Inc. This is the same company that publishes the Shooter's Bible. If you are interested, you can check out my book on the Amazon Web site:

http://www.amazon.com/Cartridge-Reloading-Twenty-First-Century-Comprehensive/dp/1626360030/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384533828&sr=1-1&keywords=cartridge+reloading

Hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Get an older copy of "ABCs of Reloading." If you are starting with handguns, get "Handloading for Handgunners." Look on Amazon.
Reloading is very simple. Any manual will cover the basics.
The main thing that I notice that most new reloaders do no understand and the new manuals do not cover is how to determine the best COL range for your gun and a specific bullet--they don't even cover COL and some how assume that it will take care of itself. Also, they tend to blithely ignore all the pressure signs you need to watch for as most manuals gear their instructions for bottleneck (rifle) cartridges and ignore the low-pressure straight-wall (handgun) cartridges. Finally, most manuals today seem geared to convincing you to buy all the little toys they have for reloading, most of which will not be of any real use to you unless you are into long-range shooting competition.
In all cases, for a load you should check at least two different sources and start with the lowest starting load. Many scoff at this, but I was burned twice back when I started in the '70s when a starting load was actually a max or over-max load in my gun.
For reloading, in my opinion, it is best if you learn best by reading and doing. Having instruction by someone may be good, but many things can be left out and more things than you need may be introduced.
Simply reading how to set up your dies and going step-by-step through the die and press instructions will get you all the basic knowledge you need, if you remember my warning to always be sure to start LOW and work up.