Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloading-100203/)

TwelveGageTaylor 11-11-2013 06:07 AM

Reloading

Where to start with wanting to start learning how to reload my ammo??? I see so many books on "reloading part 6" and such but still no direction

robocop10mm 11-11-2013 06:17 AM

Start with The ABC's Of Reloading or the Lyman's 49th edition. Read them cover to cover. It will explain 90% of the process

TwelveGageTaylor 11-11-2013 06:25 AM

Excellent thanks

c3shooter 11-11-2013 08:58 AM

Another vote for what Robo said. Check Amazon for used copy.

JWagner 11-11-2013 04:22 PM

Be aware that there are several books titled ABC's of reloading. I think the one that is favored here is by C. Rodney James. Amazon and Ebay would be good places to look. But do not stop there. Get copies of all the reloading manuals from the powder and bullet companies, too. There is no one manual that covers every type of ammo. Check out the used book stores and the gun shows for used copies. Take a look at the web sites for powder and bullet companies, too. There are some pretty good Youtube videos on setting up the press and doing the reloading.

Shade 11-12-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWagner (Post 1428953)
Be aware that there are several books titled ABC's of reloading. I think the one that is favored here is by C. Rodney James. Amazon and Ebay would be good places to look. But do not stop there. Get copies of all the reloading manuals from the powder and bullet companies, too. There is no one manual that covers every type of ammo. Check out the used book stores and the gun shows for used copies. Take a look at the web sites for powder and bullet companies, too. There are some pretty good Youtube videos on setting up the press and doing the reloading.

I agree with the ABC's of reloading, you can get a copy from your local
library, to read before you purchase. I am also a fan of Lee's reloading
manual.

oldtymer35 11-15-2013 05:01 PM

I have recently written a book about reloading titled "Cartridge Reloading in the Twenty-First Century" - Published by Skyhorse Publishing, Inc. This is the same company that publishes the Shooter's Bible. If you are interested, you can check out my book on the Amazon Web site:

http://www.amazon.com/Cartridge-Reloading-Twenty-First-Century-Comprehensive/dp/1626360030/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384533828&sr=1-1&keywords=cartridge+reloading

Hope this helps.

noylj 11-16-2013 09:20 PM

Get an older copy of "ABCs of Reloading." If you are starting with handguns, get "Handloading for Handgunners." Look on Amazon.
Reloading is very simple. Any manual will cover the basics.
The main thing that I notice that most new reloaders do no understand and the new manuals do not cover is how to determine the best COL range for your gun and a specific bullet--they don't even cover COL and some how assume that it will take care of itself. Also, they tend to blithely ignore all the pressure signs you need to watch for as most manuals gear their instructions for bottleneck (rifle) cartridges and ignore the low-pressure straight-wall (handgun) cartridges. Finally, most manuals today seem geared to convincing you to buy all the little toys they have for reloading, most of which will not be of any real use to you unless you are into long-range shooting competition.
In all cases, for a load you should check at least two different sources and start with the lowest starting load. Many scoff at this, but I was burned twice back when I started in the '70s when a starting load was actually a max or over-max load in my gun.
For reloading, in my opinion, it is best if you learn best by reading and doing. Having instruction by someone may be good, but many things can be left out and more things than you need may be introduced.
Simply reading how to set up your dies and going step-by-step through the die and press instructions will get you all the basic knowledge you need, if you remember my warning to always be sure to start LOW and work up.