Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Reloaders buying ammo ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloaders-buying-ammo-87885/)

aandabooks 03-31-2013 02:39 PM

Reloaders buying ammo ?

Since I started reloading I have lost interest in buying ammo. Been buying a ton of components but I have seen some of the ammo I shoot in stock over the past couple weeks and have not bought any. This doesn't go for .22 but I have 1000s in stock.

Do the other reloaders out there only buy ammo for the cases to further reload on or just buy the components and empty brass? I bought a bag of .44mag a couple weeks ago for $30. Could have bought 100 rounds of factory but with lead bullets I will reload that 100 cheaper than the factory stuff.

Rick1967 03-31-2013 02:42 PM

I dont remember the last time I bought anything other than rimfire ammo. And I make it to the range at least every 2 weeks. There are even times when I will go several time in a week if I am working up a load.

kaido 03-31-2013 02:43 PM

I'm a little I between, I think I've boughten four or five boxes of .243 since I've started reloading for it about a year ago. Only reason I bought was because "I needed to zero my rifle", true reasoning is I didn't feel like driving an hour away to pick up new unfired brass. Some may find that silly, I found it to be a good excuse though. I also wanted to see how well/poor of a group I'd get out of factory ammo.

aandabooks 03-31-2013 04:46 PM

I have passed up .45, 9mm and some .223 recently. The .223 was $.65 per round. I reload it for $.23. I was tempted for the brass but I just couldn't bring myself to spend $65/1000.

Axxe55 03-31-2013 04:53 PM

as i do reload for most all of my rifle calibers and some of my pistol calibers, i do still buy some factory ammo. some for calibers i don't reload for and some just because i want the brass for reloading.

locutus 04-01-2013 08:12 PM

I buy small quantities of "duty" or "defense" type ammo when it's on sale for really good prices.

As an example, a couple of years ago, a local police supplier had a good price on L.C. M855 ball. I bought 220 rounds. That is a little more than the 210 round "standard load out." I'll probably never buy more of it unless the SHTF, or TEOTWAWKI.

But I have many thousands of rounds of reloaded "M193" ball type ammo for normal shooting.

shadecorp 04-01-2013 08:38 PM

Used to shoot A LOT.
Handguns,
.44 spcl., .45 auto rim, .45 ACP.
Re Loaded A LOT
But if I saw a good deal on factory ammo.
I bought it.
So,
today I am not tooo concerned about the shortages.
Not Yet.

Some where I still have some .45 ACP
a gift from the Army, thank you.
And its Smokeless powder.

aandabooks 04-01-2013 11:08 PM

Part of my lack of interest is due to the high prices. I was in one of my LGSs this afternoon and a guy came in to pickup 2 100 WWB 9mm. They were $45 each plus tax. I had 4 packs of Fed Redbox in my car that I had offered to my Dr. earlier in the day for what I paid for them a few months ago. For what the guy paid for 200 rounds of Win I bought 450 Fed just a few months ago.

I'm definately not stockpiling at these prices. Guess I'll just keep reloading and shaking my head at what passes for retail now.

JonM 04-02-2013 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks (Post 1197970)
Since I started reloading I have lost interest in buying ammo. Been buying a ton of components but I have seen some of the ammo I shoot in stock over the past couple weeks and have not bought any. This doesn't go for .22 but I have 1000s in stock.

Do the other reloaders out there only buy ammo for the cases to further reload on or just buy the components and empty brass? I bought a bag of .44mag a couple weeks ago for $30. Could have bought 100 rounds of factory but with lead bullets I will reload that 100 cheaper than the factory stuff.

depends on prices and availability. some brass like 7.62x54r is cheaper to buy winchester whitebox shoot it and then reload than just buying the brass... others like 45colt no way will i buy shelf ammo too damn pricey

aandabooks 04-02-2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1200002)
depends on prices and availability. some brass like 7.62x54r is cheaper to buy winchester whitebox shoot it and then reload than just buying the brass... others like 45colt no way will i buy shelf ammo too damn pricey

That's the way it was with .44mag. $76 for 100 factory rounds or $30 for 100 cases and I add another $.15 per round in components.

Even if 9mm comes back to $.20 per round, I have a LGS that consistantly has bags of once fired 500 packs for $18.

Specialty loads or personal defense amm would be a different story. I did buy a 25 Hornady 300gr for $30. I don't intend to shoot them often. Just enough to get the gun dialed in and then to try to take a deer.