Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > reload problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1084 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

One of the problems with this is inconsistent length. Even though they are under max length, differing lengths cause inconsistent crimps. I trim all .223 cases to "trim length" and set the Lee Factory Crimp Die to make a consistent crimp.
I almost did but a lot of them measured under the trim to length. My book said trim to was 1.750 and the cases were about 1.743 to 1.748
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1059 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 1964

Just out of curiosity, do those bullets have a crimp grove (I know it's called something else but I'm not about to try and spell it)?

Old 07-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #13

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

You may try turning the seating die down slightly, maybe 1/16 of a turn and press the shoulder down. This will help give a tighter roll crimp as well. You always want a slight crush against the shoulder when loading for semi auto.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1084 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 610

update

well i went and pulled all my .223 reloads. for kicks i figured id give em a once over. i took about a dozen and measured COL, it was fine. tightend my seating die to give it a little more crimp. k. then compared it to a comercial round. . then i got the brilliant idea. ill run em through my rifle by manually cycling them.. i did the commercial rounds to get a control group.. then ran my reloads that i had just played with.. about a third of them 3-4 rounds. would still not chamber and eject correctly.. so i got to playing a little. it appeares for some reason the shells didnt get a complete sizing and towards the base they are slightly expanded. this is making them hit the chamber walls and not chamber. then giving me a hard time ejecting because the ejector is not in the right spot... so i just went through and cycled all my reloads. sorted out the ones that cycled properly and the ones that wouldnt. out of about 120 rnds. 24 would not cycle. now im curious as to why this would of happened. perhaps my die loosened up near the end of the sizing process and not getting the 24 rnds done correctly? i think this is the most logical option... but i am OCD and tend to check my dies every couple of rounds. so i cant see that happening... any other ideas??

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #15

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Use the small base sizing die and full length resize the cases when reloading for a semi auto. That will solve your chambering problem.

Jim..........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

Last edited by masterPsmith; 07-13-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5084 Times on 2891 Posts
Likes Given: 4244

It is well known to anyone who reads this board that I am not a fan of LEE products.

However, having said that, I use the LEE factory crimp die on all semi-auto ammo. It works!

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Measure your handloads ...

jjfuller1 .......

I recommend measuring the ID of your cases. The case necks should be cleaned with a bore brush and then FL resized to .221" This will provide ideal bullet tension. There's no need to crimp the .223 Remington case if you FL resize accurately. The SB die is rarely needed, and if used (when not needed) it causes more problems than it solves.

Your "feeding" symptom is different from a chambering problem. The odds are very good that your magazine lips are releasing your rounds at a bad angle. That jams during feeding, and it dents the case as the bullet tip slams into the barrel extension.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #18

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

This is not one of my cases, but from a box of attempts by a former tenant of my house, to reload. These are R-P cases, and what is going on here is that he had his seating/crimp die turned in about a half a turn too far, and crushed the shoulders.

The point being, that the crimp die is pretty sensitive, and a little adjustment makes a lot of difference.

I would have stopped and adjusted after the first one, but this fellow apparently thought it would cure itself and did about 30 rounds like this. This box of "goodies" that I found in my basement, contain samples of everything that a reloader should never ever do.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default That's a good one!

However, I think I can top that.
How about this one?

A friend of mine calls this the .223 Rem. "accordian" round. He made this with a Dillon RL550 progressive press.
There are a series of adjustments that ALL need to be set correctly before cranking out handloads.
He stopped to read the instructions after making just one of these. Ha Ha
Just when you think you've seen them all . . . . . .

Old 07-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #20

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

the only time I had chambering problems was with the crimp die moved down to far like the others said. If it is a small amount it may not be obvious but it bulges the shoulder just enough to make it too fat to chamber. I personally do not crimp my 223 at all and have not had any problems with bullet setback.Maybe I'm just lucky to have good feed ramps.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang