Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reload problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Reload problem

I need someone's wisdom on this. I had a 264 winchester built 15yrs ago on a mouser 98 action. Have reloaded for it since day one with no problems. I full length resize all brass and trim to specs, double check all powder drops and went to range today loaded a round bolt closes easy, fire the round and bolt is extremley hard to open. I was working on a new load starting with base load progressing to max and all cases were hard to remove after shooting. What did I do wrong? Rifle use to shoot 1/4" groups and now it looks like buckshot with no grouping at all

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #2

Liked 2140 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 2079

need more info: bullet shape, weight, powder type and charge? Did you fire more rounds after the first one was difficult to extract?

Old 10-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1647 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 527

You should have stopped shooting at the 1st sign of over pressure. Hopefully you did not shoot all the rounds.
1-The rounds need to measured for overall length. Max and Min
2-You need to disassemble one or all of the rounds and check all the components.
3-The loading data may be wrong. I usually cross check to another book to see if a load is safe. I have found discrepancies.
4-Another possibility is a light load can spread the powder away from the primer giving a much larger ignition area. We used to put a tuft of kapok over a light powder charge to keep it in place for proper ignition. I like my cases to be almost full.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

another possible cause is your brass has become too hard and needs to be annealed or replaced. hardened brass wont grip the bullet well and bullets in the mag can set back causing over pressure condition.

not saying thats what it is but its possible.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

When rechecking all the components, you need to mic the bullets to make sure they are the proper diameter.

Patron Member NRA

Old 10-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #6

Default Whew!! That was close!

I agree with JTJ exactly. You have obvious over pressure signs and need to very carefully re examine your loads. Disassemble one of the cartridges and take a very close look at each component. It's so easy to make a mistake when reloading. Your lucky you were shooting it in a strong bolt action.

Gunfire is the sound of freedom

Old 10-09-2011, 02:32 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone8705 View Post
...all cases were hard to remove after shooting...
You should have stopped after the first round was hard to extract.
Your rifle was talking to you, you were not listening.

Powder used?
Powder masses? Start, Finish, Increment.
Bullet used?
Primer used?
Trim Length?

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 10-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #8

This is my pet load I have been using for 15 yrs. 120gr Sierra Spitzer, 60 gr IMR 4350, Fed 210 primer, cases trimmed to 2.500 bullets seated to 3.320. Not sure but I think I am having shoulder problems. Not sure how my dies could have moved after so many yrs but definitely have a pressure problem. Ordered a case shoulder bump guage to be more sure, and a go-no go headspace guage to be sure there is not a headspace problem.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone8705 View Post
I need someone's wisdom on this. I had a 264 winchester built 15yrs ago on a mouser 98 action. Have reloaded for it since day one with no problems. I full length resize all brass and trim to specs, double check all powder drops and went to range today loaded a round bolt closes easy, fire the round and bolt is extremley hard to open. I was working on a new load starting with base load progressing to max and all cases were hard to remove after shooting. What did I do wrong? Rifle use to shoot 1/4" groups and now it looks like buckshot with no grouping at all
What was the new load? Bullet weight, powder charge, powder brand, age of powder.

Patron Member NRA

Old 10-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #10

Well it really wasn't a new load, but was a brand new can of IMR 4350 so I always never trust new lot numbers of powder so I start low and work my way back up to max load and that was what I was doing.First 3 rounds were 53.5gr