ReLoad 9mm for Rifle Question - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

ReLoad 9mm for Rifle Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Cpttango. Thanks for the last statement. I think I understand it now.

I can use the ones you stated or the Bullseye, just use cast loads to keep velocity down a bit. There could be one of two theory's.
1st Where the velocity peaks inside the barrel
2nd Where Velocity is still peaking nas it exits the barrel.

Either one, needs the chrono which I do not have as yet. Have to grab one from someone elses toy box.

Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)
Use pistol powders.
Use Cast recipes and/or keep charges on the lite side.
If possible, go to jacketed bullets

Old 07-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Maybe this will help...maybe not. Here goes: I started loading 9mm many moons ago when Beretta 92's were relatively new. The load I settled on was 7 grains of Accurate #7 under a Lee cast 124 grain roundnose bullet, lubed with javalina that had about a teaspoon of moly disulphide powder mixed in. It runs right under 1100 fps. When I got my Beretta CX-4 Storm 9mm Carbine, I used the same load....it runs a little over 1200 and the weapon cycles fine. I was using the thought process that when the people at Winchester, or Federal, or Remington, or really most ammo mfr's box up their ammo, they do not specify pistol or rifle...I guess it's supposed to work in both.
I used this same thought process when I got a Beretta Cougar in .45....found a good load that was reliable in that case 8 grains of Blue Dot under a Lee cast 190 grain SWC lubed with the javalina also. That load worked well in the Beretta CX-4 Storm .45 Carbine. I had (for a short time) a Marlin 9mm Carbine but it put hot brass down my shirt about half the time because I'm left handed. I traded it in to get the Beretta CX-4 9mm because the Beretta's are made so you can flip the bolt over and eject brass out the left side instead of the right. Also the magazines from the pistols fit the carbines too.