ReLoad 9mm for Rifle Question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

ReLoad 9mm for Rifle Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

Keep in mind the Marlin has a "Microgroove" barrel which may be less disruptive to the plating than a traditional barrel. It may give less than satisfactory results, too. Traditional wisdom is the microgrove barrels do not give good results with cast bullets and plated bullets tend to "act" like cast bullets.
Oh for the love of Pete please stop repeating that as gospel. Microgroove barrels are no less accurate than standard rifled ones with cast bullets.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #12

Could you elaborate on this a bit?
What is a micro grove barrel and its effect?
I really like shooting my Camp and I have not really had any issues as yet.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by craighmarshall View Post
Could you elaborate on this a bit?
What is a micro grove barrel and its effect?
I really like shooting my Camp and I have not really had any issues as yet.
There is a common misconception that Marlin's Microgroove barrels do not shoot cast bullets well. Microgroove rifling has more lands and grooves than normal rifling, the lands are not as wide or as tall. Do a search for more in depth info with pics.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3585 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 400

OK Dcomf, you win. When I say "traditional wisdom' I am obviously referring to "gospel". I guess I should have put the "may" in bold, itallics surrounded by "s.

The fact of the matter is that many people have had less than satisfactory results with cast bullets in microgrooved barrels. That "MAY" be a result of soft lead alloys or the peculiarities of a particular barrel/load combination. I have always felt that a good, hard cast bullet should do fine in a microgrooved barrel, but have never had the opportunity to test this theory.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

Traditional wisdom is the microgrove barrels do not give good results with cast bullets and plated bullets tend to "act" like cast bullets.
Let me regurgitate your statement. "Do not" and "may not" are different. 'Do not' is definitive. 'May not' expresses a possibility. Given your past statements you tend to parrot "traditional wisdom" as true and implicit. Not so in this case.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

You must be a Democrat as you are very adept at taking things out of context. I stand behind the sentence. I explained that "traditional wisdom" says that cast bullets "do not" work well in these barrels. What is wrong with the statement? Is the statement incorrect or misleading? I think not.

Traditional wisdom is not a universal truth. It is simply accepted by most people over a substantial period of time. There was a time when the traditional wisdom was that the Earth was flat. We now know that the traditional wisdom was incorrect.

If you have had positive results with microgrooved barrels and cast bullets, I would love to see a detailed write up on your experiences. As I said, I feel the use of a good hard cast bullet should give acceptable results in these barrels given the proper load.

Please do not try to twist my words into something they are not and are not intended to be.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #17

You've already lost the argument when you resorted to demeaning insults. It's not my fault you have a hard time expressing in words what you truly mean to say. Every time microgroove is mentioned someone gets their panties in a wad and has to interject that they do not shoot cast bullets. They shoot cast bullets well given certain constraints. Any rifle has limits with cast bullets.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #18

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Yes platting may come off more if velocity is pushed over the 1200 fps limit.

That being said you need to under stand that You just don't switch powders and go after a load. You will need to find a load for that bullet that doesn't exceed the 1200 fps limit. For this you are going to need a chronograph. They can be had for as little as $70.

I would look at Winchesters WSF the listed max is 1055 fps. These values are going to go up a little because of the longer barrel. Accurate Arms No. 2 would be another choice for a decent powder The lead load for the 124gr is 1017fps. I would use lead bullet loads for any plated bullets out there to be on the safe side.

I would myself start looking at the Remington BULK 124gr Jacketed bullets they are not that much more than Rainer and you could push them a little faster in the carbine.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #19

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
There was a time when the traditional wisdom was that the Earth was flat. We now know that the traditional wisdom was incorrect.
WTF are you talking about the world is still flat stop pushing the world is a ball fake science crap.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf View Post
You've already lost the argument when you resorted to demeaning insults. It's not my fault you have a hard time expressing in words what you truly mean to say. Every time microgroove is mentioned someone gets their panties in a wad and has to interject that they do not shoot cast bullets. They shoot cast bullets well given certain constraints. Any rifle has limits with cast bullets.
I hereby declare that microgrooved barrels are the absolute best possible barrels on the planet. They will shoot all sorts of cast, swaged, jacketed and monolithic bullets equally well.

Where is that picture of Ponch when I need it. Another one for the ignore bin.