Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > ReLoad 9mm for Rifle Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ReLoad 9mm for Rifle Question

Picked up a Marlin Camp 9 and love it. Wish it was the 45, but what the hell.

Here is my problem.
Loading for my XDM 9 with 124gr FN, RN and HP using Berry's Copper Plated and Rainier's. Now I want to load for the Camp but have a few questions.

If I am using 4.8gr Bullseye which is pushing 1150fps and the manufacturer recommends not exceeding 1200fps should I change my powder to a slower burn such as Alliant's Reloader 7? This is designed for a carbine, magnum, varmint rifle up to a 308?

I am thinking that there is an added pressure buildup due to the length of the barrel @ 16". Not sure of the twist ratio.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #2

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

From a post on Marlin Model 9 Semi-Auto 9mm Carbine

Ammunition Bullet Weight Velocity Accuracy
Cor-Bon DPX 115 1330 1.75"
Cor-Bon PB 100 1692 5.375"
Cor-Bon HP 115 1532 0.875"
GECO FMJ 124 1306
Buffalo Bore HP 115 1646 3.5"
Buffalo Bore HP 124 1458 2.125"
Buffalo Bore HP 147 1225 1.375"
Federal HS 147 1155 0.75"

I know this doesn't answer your question but apparently there are muzzle velocities above what you stated listed and tested here. Interesting the Federal HS at 1155 fps has the best accuracy.

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 04-04-2010 at 03:33 AM.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:06 AM   #3

R7 is not suitable for 9mm or any cartridge close to it. Doen't matter if it's in a carbine or handgun. The burn rate is way off. Ammoguide lists R7 for 17-222 through 50 Alaskan, and a bunch of cartridges in between, but nothing even remotely close to 9mm. It is WAAAAY too slow. On a burn rate chart listing 173 powders, Bullseye is #6, R7 is #93. Vihtavuori 20N29 is the slowest powder listed on my chart at #173. R7 is almost in the middle of Bullseye and 20N29. 20N29 is suitable to load an 850 grain bullet in a .50 BMG. That should give you some idea of the vast disparity in your powder comparisons.

Powder is not designed around barrel length. Powder is designed with a specific burn rate, and cartridges that are suitable to use that particular powder with that burn rate are tested by powder companies whom employ people with Ph.D's and several hundred million dollars worth of test equipment.

I realize that some people use pistol powder in reduced power rifle cartridges, but trying to taylor loads the way you are considering to adjust pressure by using rifle powder in a pistol case is not only unsafe, it's ASKING to get hurt. Not sure if you reload already, but if there is no load listed for a powder in a specific cartridge, that's because it's not safe. If you find a factory proven load for Reloader 7 in a 9x19mm, I will retract everything I have yapped about here and walk home shamefully.

Messing with rifle powders in a pistol case that small is a bad idea but ultimately it's up to you. I doubt you'd even find a starting load using R7 in 9mm. Call me a sissy, I'm just sayin'...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 04-04-2010 at 04:33 AM.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:55 AM   #4

To me, one of the neat things about the 9 and 45 carbines and other lever guns, is having a rifle that will shoot the same ammo as your side arm. You will naturally acheive higher velocity in the longer barrel due to a better burn. Seems to defeat the purpose if loading for the carbine differently.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #5

Guys, maybe I an phrasing this incorrectly.

I am using BERRY'S or Rainiers Copper Plated bullets. The manufacturers recommend NOT to exceed 1200fps as the plating may tear off while still in the gun barrel 5" or less. Now put that bullet, Copper Plated into a rifle barrel of 16". Remember I am using Bullseye powder currently and getting 1150fps which is curently UNDER the factory recomended limitations.

The costs savings from an FMJ to a Copper Plated bullet is indeed substantial, but the copper plated is only put on by electro plating.

My concern is the pressure buildup (if any) in the 16" barrel =
Will there be an increase in pressure over the 4" barrel?
Will it be considerably more?
Should I keep the Bullseye powder and lower the charge (most likely based on the 2nd notice)?
Should I think about a slower burn powder.
As for Reloader 7, the factory says it is to be used for "light" rifles such as a varmint gun, 223 to a 308. Not sure where you get the 50 cal but I will not even argue as I have never used it. I am only starting to read about differant burns and quite frankly VERY CONFUSED. Needless to say, doing nothing with reloads for rifle until that knowledge is improved on.

Oh by the way, the Copper Plated bullets are for practice rounds. when I go to the range I may shoot off a few hundred on the XDM, so I am thinking I will be doing the same for the Camp 9.

I hope this explains why I have the concerns

Old 04-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #6

There are different specs for plated bullets as I am relatively certain info for jacketed and lead bullets is not directly interchangable with plated ones.

As far as the 50 BMG reference, that was just to give a reference to the fact that Reloader 7 is about halfway between Bullseye, which is pretty fast burning, and 20N29 (used for 50BMG) which is very slow. I was trying to illustrate the extreme ends of the spectrum and that if Bullseye is near the top (fast), 20N29 is the bottom (slow) and Reloader 7 is in the middle, that Reloader 7 is too slow for 9x19.

My point was, Reloader 7 is NOT a suitable powder for 9mm, regardless of what type (rifle or pistol) of firearm the cartridge is fired in. Powders are specific to cartridges, not barrel length. If it says it's suitable for light varmint loads in .223, or .308, that is based on the cartridge and pressures developed in those cartridges with a given bullet weight and type, not whether the load is intended to be reduced or full power in any arbitrary cartridge. Reloader 7 is a rifle powder bottom line, with very limited applications in large capacity handgun rounds like 500 S&W.

After some more thought last night I wondered if you had meant AA7, which is a common powder for 9x19. Since you do seem to really mean Reloader 7, I again would say no, do not try it. If there is not a published load specifically for 9x19 with a plated bullet, using Reloader 7, (which I can almost guarantee there isn't because again, Reloader 7 is not suitable for 9x19) then it's not okay to try to invent one.

I would suggest getting load data specifically for plated bullets in your choice of weight, get the list of recommended powders, then start with the minimum load listed and not ponder what powder might produce less pressure based on a burn rate chart. Other than that, I can't offer much else.

As an aside, what data did you use for the load charge? 4.8 grains of Bullseye with a 124 grain FMJ bullet is pretty close to max. Couple that with the difference in bullet surface with the plated bullets and things (pressures) are bound to change. I found a few loads real quick for Berry's plated 125's but none using Bullseye.
Good luck.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 04-04-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Bullseye is a very fast pistol powder. Reloader 7 is a RIFLE powder. NEVER EVER EVER use rifle powder in a pistol case!

You may find the velocity out of the 16" barrel is LOWER than out of the handgun with Bullseye. The Bullseye may reach peak pressure way before the bullet reaches the muzzle. This may cause friction to actually slow the bullet down. You may need to go to a slower PISTOL powder.
Here is a chart that shows comparative burn rates of smokeless powders. Look at the data you are considering using and see where that powder falls on the burn rate chart.
Powder Burn Rates
Blue Dot and Power Pistol are both slower than Bullseye and MAY give better results.

Keep in mind the Marlin has a "Microgroove" barrel which may be less disruptive to the plating than a traditional barrel. It may give less than satisfactory results, too. Traditional wisdom is the microgrove barrels do not give good results with cast bullets and plated bullets tend to "act" like cast bullets.

My advise would be to chronograph your loads and shoot into a medium that will allow you to see whether the plating is holding up. Check the bore often for any signs of fouling.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-28-2010, 01:23 AM   #8

Sorry I did nbot get back sooner. I pondered on all your comments and I think
1. I need to stay with in Pistol powders and not think rifle
2. Based on using Bullseye, I should do a few loads in 4.1 gr/4.3gr/4.6gr.
3. Do a chrono test to check velocity. One of you commented that maybe the velocity will drop due to peak while still in the barrel. If this were the case, I have no concern regarding the plating tearing off either in the barrel or down range.
4. Inspect barrel after firing each group of grain to see if plating is indeed staying inside.

Agreed?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just a test on barrel length. I shoot a S&W 76 FA in 9mm. It has a 6 inch barrel. I worked up a load using TightGroup and Berrys 115gr 9mm plated projectiles. I tested the load's in a pistol and was right at 1050fps. I have shot thousands thru my Smith with no problems. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Suomi M31 Semi auto rifle. It has a 16" barrel. I tested it last week. I shot a mag of factory (S&B 115gr 9mm) with no problems, then shot 3 mags worth of my reloads with no problems. So I would say, don't worry about the barrel length. You should not have any problems as long as your loads are below the max specified by the projectile MFG.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:43 AM   #10

Thanks.... Berry's states to keep the Vel below 1200fps.

Based on comments above, even if I go the max charge (4.9gr), I should be below 1200 and possibly lower. So I will try the three loads lited above and see how they best shoot out to 100 yds. Think there should be some notisable drop based on the charge.