Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   reduced .45 loads (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reduced-45-loads-80746/)

fa35jsf 01-09-2013 01:44 AM

reduced .45 loads

Okay so the dog got another coon tonight but in his old age he didn't have the fight in him to kill the coon. It ended up getting away as I was chasing it into the woods shooting at it with my 22LR with subsonic rounds.

The reason for the subsonic woods is neighbors don't like hearing loud gunshots. I have 5 acres and am surrounded by another 30+ of woods but technically in my state you are suppose to have 10+ acres in order to fire a gun. Plus I might be violating some deed restrictions but I live in the country and well....

So since I am now reloading my own .45 auto bullets, I was wondering if there is a way to make a reduced load that is substantially quieter than a normal .45 round would be? I know that the bullet is already subsonic so no real help there but by my thinking there has to be some way.

All of this dawned on me as I was running into the woods chasing the second largest coon my dog has ever gotten with a flashlight in one hand and a bolt action .22 in the other trying like mad to get as many shots off at that darn coon. My dog did get a few good bites on him so hopefully that coon won't be back anytime soon.

Rick1967 01-09-2013 01:48 AM

Even light Loads in a .45 are going to be a lot louder than a 22 subsonic. I mean really a lot louder.

fa35jsf 01-09-2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 1085826)
Even light Loads in a .45 are going to be a lot louder than a 22 subsonic. I mean really a lot louder.

Thats what I was afraid of. Is it even safe to try to experiment with loading lighter and lighter loads until they no longer function; assuming one takes the precaution of checking the barrel after each shot to make sure it is clear?

Rick1967 01-09-2013 01:54 AM

Titegroup is safe to reduce. While I have never reduced low enough to not operate the slide, even my lowest still needed hearing protection.

fa35jsf 01-09-2013 02:02 AM

Titegroup is a brand of powder right? I am new to reloading although I have reloaded about 500 in the last few days. Right now I am well stocked up on HP-38. Got some more bullets coming my way for free from Hornady and got enough primers, for now. Now I really could use a little bit more brass. Probably only have another 300 pieces laying around still to be loaded.

Rick1967 01-09-2013 02:16 AM

I use HP-38 too. Well I used to. I use Titegroup now. I use it for all my handgun loads except really heavy 44 mag stuff. Titegroup works better in low volume loads in large cases. It is king for 45 Colt. The nice thing about Titegroup is it is not position sensitive. Meaning it does not matter whether is is next to the primer or the bullet. You will see cowboy action shooters point their gun up in the air before they shoot to get the powder againt the primer. That doesnt matter with Titegroup. HP-38 is position sensitive. With HP-38 if you point the gun at the ground before one shot, then toward the sky before the next shot, there will be a noticable difference in velocity.
Not so with Titegroup.

fa35jsf 01-09-2013 02:32 AM

huh. Didn't know that. Too bad that I have 3 pounds of the stuff. So what, scientifically, makes one powder position sensitive and the other not? Is it the grain shape or composition?

Rick1967 01-09-2013 02:57 AM

That is a good question. Afraid I do not have an answer for you. But I do know that this is why Titegroup was designed.

JonM 01-09-2013 03:19 AM

your not going to get a round that is quieter than a 22 subsonic with a 45.

if its legal to hunt with a suppressor in your state might consider that route. but touching off rounds in the dark in an area with other homes nearby doesnt seem like a real good plan to begin with

racer_x 01-09-2013 03:39 AM

Im thinking a good trap would go a long ways