Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > "recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default "recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets"

I recently purchased 1000 Rainier 9mm 115gr jacketed HP bullets that I plan to reload. I was searching for reloading data and came accross the following on the Rainier website:

We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp.

I can't seem to find 9mm lead bullet load data. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nothing will replace a good loading manual but here ya go.

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

I don't know what powder you are using but there are a dozen lead bullet loads there.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Rainier, and Berry's both, suggest on their web sites that muzzle velocities in excess of 1200 fps should be avoided, I would guess, to prevent the plating from peeling.

Berry's Frequently Asked Questions â

Rainier Ballistics, mainframe (3rd question down)

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #4

I have a hodgdon published load for 115gr rn lead of between 3.9 & 4.3 of Titegroup at 30,500 cup.

My sympathies for buying so many Ranier bullets. Some people like them fine though.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan2302 View Post
I have a hodgdon published load for 115gr rn lead of between 3.9 & 4.3 of Titegroup at 30,500 cup.

My sympathies for buying so many Ranier bullets. Some people like them fine though.
Have you had problems with Rainier bullets? I shoot them exclusively in my 45 and 38 range loads and I have never had a single problem.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I use Berry's plated bullets in .45, .38, and 9mm... haven't had any issues here, either.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 11-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Raniers work well. They cost only a bit more than cast & they are accurate. I tried some 158 gr for my .357s and they worked well. I just ordered more .357 and 2000 115gr for the 9mm. Superduper +P+ loads might not be reasonable, but for moderate loads no problem.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 11-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Have you had problems with Rainier bullets? I shoot them exclusively in my 45 and 38 range loads and I have never had a single problem.
Yea, i loaded 100 and fired them in a beretta and a couple of glocks. The beretta became VERY fouled and one of the glocks was somewhat fouled. I had shot all these pistols quite a bit before, even lead in the beretta without fouling like that.

I was shooting 9mm 115gr around 900fps. Maybe they were too hot, but they left an impression on I can't shake

Old 05-31-2013, 03:01 AM   #9

Default ranier loaders insights

For those of you out there who have experience reloading the ranier bullets, I am confused by some of the data. I have 200 grain raniers that are the same size, by caliper, as a 230grain fmj. So my questions are what do you use for OAL and all of the types for 200 grain are LSWC. I get it that I want to keep the velocity down but pressures are effected by head space as well. Ultimately do I want to use the powder load for the grain weight of the bullet and the oal for the actual bullet size or what? Suggestions or recommendations. Btw I have three very good manuals and none of them address this issue.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5304 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 334

with the 45acp and the ranier plated 230grain bullets you can use 230grain fmj data safely. 45acp is a pretty easy going cartridge and most 45acp guns, excluding factory stock glock barrels, can handle quite a bit more than any book load generates.

they dont get going fast enough to scrape the plating off regardless. i use plated 230grain bullets in my 460 rowland and thats generating over twice the pressure and almost double the speed of a standard 45acp loading.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...