Real problem/challenge- moving ammo and components across country...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Real problem/challenge- moving ammo and components across country...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Real problem/challenge- moving ammo and components across country...

My health is forcing me to move from Maine to Arizona. Psoriatic Arthritis, with complications. Need to be in hot, dry, and sunny area. Last winter was my last- if I want to keep living...

Was 121 degrees last Friday, and I no longer sweat.

Need to move my powder (51 pounds of Varget) and 15,000 large rifle primers, as well as beau-coup rifle, pistol, and shotgun ammo...

How stable is this stuff? Could it go, SAFELY, in a PODS or Pack-rat container, U-Haul, or Ryder truck? When in the military 41 years ago, ammo was shipped in containers to DaNang, and it wasn't climate controlled...

Really need your input on this. Should I send it via a hazmat licensed shipper? I can't afford to sell here, and buy there...

Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Glockcurmudgeon, out...

Shot placement is king, yes. But penetration is queen, and a wide wound channel is the ace in the hole. -Cuda66

Μολὼν λαβέ (Molōn labe!)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #2

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Varget is a very heat tolerant powder. As for primers riding on a truck I don't think will hurt them.

I would just pack it all into metal containers like military ammo cans. Stuff them with paper so the contents doesn't shift a lot. Then I would place the powder loaded cans next to the back door so incase there is a fire on the moving truck you can get the cans out and away quickly. I would not ship in a PODS I would move it in the moving truck that you are taking.

I would not go through the expense and hassle of shipping it UPS hazmat.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6659 Times on 3543 Posts
Likes Given: 498

I would just stick it in a uhaul with the rest of the goods. Long as the primers are in their original containers they are just fine. I prollywouldnt srack the fridge on top of em though....
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #4

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I think they summed it up nicely, I am looking at moving to Az. in 3 years I got to get where I can breath easer myself.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #5

Default Thanks!

I'm much relieved by your experience and insight. Looks like I'll be "okay" after all!

Take care,

Glockcurmudgeon, out...

Shot placement is king, yes. But penetration is queen, and a wide wound channel is the ace in the hole. -Cuda66

Μολὼν λαβέ (Molōn labe!)