Ready to start reloading... need suggestions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ready to start reloading... need suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 03:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
That is a good kit/price. It will get you started. It's totally your choice/preference. I think the Lee leverage system looks weak/cheap-I know it works, and a lot of people use them. Let me put it this way: I have been a GM Master Auto Tech, for close to 40years. I have two large tool boxes (work+home) full of SNAP-ON TOOLS. Yes I have a few Sears Craftsman Tools, but not many. I am not a rich man, but I prefer top quality equip. and will hold off until I can afford them. That's why I do not have many guns-but the ones I have are GOOD ones. ER-well they were before the boating accident,when they all went down in DEEP water!!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 08-21-2009, 05:35 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
That's why I do not have many guns-but the ones I have are GOOD ones. ER-well they were before the boating accident,when they all went down in DEEP water!!
Wow, Billybob44, I think there something about the boats that makes them act strangely around guns. Were you by chance down off of Florida when that happened? I had taken my boat out for a nice friendly waterfowl hunt in the everglades and had my shotgun for the birds but also had to have all my rifles and handguns along for protection from the gators when the derned boat capsized. All my guns went down in that salty water. Lucky for me, I had already taken a few ducks and the gators feasted on them while I righted the boat. I was lucky to get out of there with all my toes intact.

Caution to all: If you go out into the everglades with all your guns for protection, make sure you stop and get some fresh meat to keep the gators occupied while you right your boat. Otherwise, plan on coming up a few toes short.

Sorry OP. Back to topic, My old 3-holer was a gem. It was made of pot metal and I broke the handle one time trying to resize some '06 brass that just plain wasn't wanting to be cooperative. At that time, the press was probably already 15+ yrs old so I called Lee to see about ordering a replacement. Over the phone they took down my name and address and just a few days later I had a new handle on my press. A friend of mine was doing some work at a metal shop and asked if he could take the broken handle for a day or two. He came back with a wonderful braze job on the handle and had even reinforced it for me. Then he challenged me to break it again. I got out an old set of .270 dies that were all chewed up (I had gotten them as part of a package deal a few years before) and promptly inserted a piece of unlubed '06 brass to resize. I got that brass so stuck that even a stuck case remover wouldn't work to remove it. The handle held and so did the press. Lee's customer service was top notch as well.

For my current presses, I have a replacement 3-holer Lee Turret press, the old Pacific "C" type press, and a Rockchucker. All have their purpose and all have proven worth every penny paid. For low volume reloading, just about anything will fit the bill and work great for you. Hi volume reloading is a horse of a different color.

Good luck with your decision. If you have the opportunity, try to find a fellow reloader close by that will allow you to try out his equipment. You may find one brand press suits your fancy much better than another.

Happy shooting!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have other presses but use a turret press 98% of the time. The thing about turret presses is you can get a turret for each caliber/cartridge. By doing that you adjust the dies for that individual turret and tighten them down. They'll likely never come loose or out of adjustment that way. Also you won't have to screw them in or out of the press for every step-simply change turret & shell holder & you're ready for a different caliber/cartridge-no adjustment needed & takes about 30 seconds. The Lee turret press is an excellent press to start with.

A couple items that I didn't see listed yet are primer pocket cleaner & flash hole deburrer. You only have to deburr the flash hole 1 time to remove burrs from the inside of the case made during manufacturing process on rifle cases. Cleaning the primer pocket is a MUST each time the case is to be reloaded. That insures consistent primer depth from fouling.

I never did like the Lee dies-especially for rifle cartridges. I highly prefer screwing the decapper & seater down for positive consistent engagement instead of the pressure collet system of Lee dies. I've sent RCBS dies back that was plumb wore out (about 33 years old) & they (RCBS) sent me back a completely new set of dies! I feel they have the best warranty of anybody. You can't buy that kind of brand loyalty any other way.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2947 Times on 1534 Posts
Likes Given: 262

I have both an RCBS Rockchucker and a Dillon RL-450. I use the Dillon for 95% of my loading/processing. I use the RCBS for the few cartridges I have not yet bought Dillon Conversions for (.30 carbine, .30-30, 45LC, .32 ACP, .45-70). I do not load much in those calibers so it is not a huge inconvenience.

A turret press is a decent compromise and well suited to a beginner.

My rule of thumb is to look at how much you plan on loading:
>200 rds/month - single stage
200-500 rds/month - turret
<500 rds/month - progressive

IMHO the ONLY progressive to own is a Dillon

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

IMHO the ONLY progressive to own is a Dillon
Even though Hornady is giving you 1,000 bullets FREE?!!?
I appreciate the feedback you guys I'm already making my early x-mas list and hopefully I'll have Brown Santa stopping by in a few weeks. Plus, there's a gun show coming up next weekend... ya never know

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Last edited by supergus; 08-21-2009 at 03:30 PM.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2947 Times on 1534 Posts
Likes Given: 262

The Dillon RL-550 is $100 cheaper, has a much longer track record, a service policy/guarantee that cannot be beaten. I don't know why you need 5 stations on a progressive press I don't use all four on my Dillon for most calibers.

I have no problem with Hornaday products. I really like their rifle bullets. This may turn out to be a good product but the Dillon is a proven product.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

link to look at pic TheFiringLine Forums

Saw on another forum & didn't know if you might be interested in this. I do not know anything about the quality & such. I immediately thought "45 ACP, that's what i want," but i need to read more first & probably want something not progressive to start on.

Just realized you are both in NC, as well.

edit* incase you can't login there:
WTS Lee Pro 1000 45 ACP Progressive Press (NC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEE PRO 1000, Set up for 45ACP

Located Cornelius, NC

Add a bullet and pull the lever; all other operations are automatic. One loaded cartridge with each pull of the lever.

Every operation is automatic. Primers, like the powder, are fed only if a case is present. No wasted primers or spilled powder. Alternate loading sequence lets you load only one case at a time. Makes learning easy for the first time user and great for fine adjustments or experimenting.

You can start reloading good ammunition minutes after the press is bolted down.
http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/lp1000.html
Pick Up Price is $100

Last edited by orangello; 08-21-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:12 AM   #18

I too have been looking into reloading and have already read through The ABCs of Reloading and I'm now working on the Lyman Reloading Manual and I would recommend picking it up as well. In my opinion it lays everything out in a way that is much simpler to understand. And just a side note, reloading 7.62x39 can be done, but from what I've read it can be a pain because of the Berdan Primer Pocket.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 08-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
And just a side note, reloading 7.62x39 can be done, but from what I've read it can be a pain because of the Berdan Primer Pocket.

-Fred
Not if you buy brass that is boxer primed or buy clean, new, unprimed brass. You DO NOT want to attempt to reload the steel cased stuff.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #20

Look on craigslist, I see lots of good deals on reloading equipment from time to time. I got a progressive shotshell loader with powder, shot, hulls, and wads for 100 bucks.
just an idea