Re: Re-annealing brass
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Re: Re-annealing brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: Re-annealing brass

Can anyone here tell me what they think of annealing their own brass with a pencil torch after it has been reloaded several times? I have read an article in regards to brass hardening when you work it cold, and that you can get more accuracy and lifespan if you re-anneal the case necks with a torch and cold water. Any opinions or anyone ever done it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That is a great question!

I dunno.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Not hard to do, but unless you've "worked" that brass a lot, why ?

Over the years I've noticed brass hardness varies from various mfgs/brands to lots from the same mfg/brand. If you're seeing something, (like split necks, say) early on in the reloading cycle, you might benefit from annealing. Just put the cases in a shallow sheet pan of DI water, heat the necks/shoulders to a light cherry red with a propane torch and immediately tip. The DI water so stray chlorides/flourides or minerals/saltys from your tap water don't get into the brass, undoing what you're doing....

FWIW I only reload rifle ammo now and never bother to anneal. I'm getting 6-8 reload cycles on Remington brass for my .22/250, but. I don't load them 'hot'. And I just work the cases enough to neck size and "bump" the shoulder. Your results may vary.....

>MW

Old 11-03-2010, 02:08 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Annealing is heating brass so that it returns to the original state. That is the nice thing about brass when it is heated it doesn't harden it returns to its original metallic state.

I do mine after about 4 reloading's. Even if you neck size annealing will lengthen your case life.

I started annealing because I was always having really sooty necks on my loads. I thought I was not loading hot enough to fully expand the case neck. So I tried hotter loads. Still I was getting sooty necks. So I started annealing them and what do you know no more sooty necks. Accuracy improved a little bit as well.

Annealing allows the brass to place a more uniform pressure on the bullet. The more uniform things are the better and more accurate things are going to be.

The best most informative article out there on annealing is found over at 6mmbr.com

If I ever do get to build my custom 6ppc ground hog rifle I am going to invest not only in nightforce of S&B glass I am going to invest in an annealing machine.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:49 AM   #5

I think annealing is good after you change a 30-06 to a 8mm or a 35 whelling and after you fire several rounds of your favorite calliber.

patert

Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Brass annealing

Here's a little bit of information...

Ballistic Edge Mfg - ABOUT ANNEALING

Same site-
Ballistic Edge Mfg - HOW TO ANNEAL

Unbiased Barnard, BAT, Kelbly, Nesika Bay x2, Remington x3, Browning, Marsh, Ruger x2, Savage x3, UltraLight Arms, AR15 x3 owner. I like 'em all.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by patret View Post
I think annealing is good after you change a 30-06 to a 8mm or a 35 whelling and after you fire several rounds of your favorite calliber.

patert
Anytime you change caliber on a cartridge you should anneal. Going from 30-06 to 270 or 25-06 anneal 30-06 to 338-06 anneal.

If you want to start learning annealing just get some range pick up brass and start messing with it.

You want it to look like factory laupa brass (ifn you ever seen it) or military loaded ammo.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was messing around with a few pieces of brass last night, heated one up with a pencil torch till it was glowing light red, dumped it into some tap water (didn't know I should be using DI water), and then dried it off. The case neck came out kind of scorched looking. Was that because I was using the tap water?

Old 11-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #9

I use plane old tap water myself never seen any problems with it.

They should come out looking like the ones here.
Lapua: Cases

Old 11-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info, maybe I just got them a little bit too hot and scorched em. I will goof around with some more scrap brass that I have tonight after work and see if I can get it down.